Nanny's Gentlemen's Shaving Soap - Sandalwoody.

Holy Gamoley Harley, you had me worried there for a minute!! But it all worked out in the end. I am very happy to have contributed to your shaving pleasure. I don't have any unscented at the moment, only the citrus. The only person who has had that so far is an American on B & B (although not sure he has received it yet), and Sirprize. Although its totally pointless getting other people's opinions on scent, as tastes are so individual.
I'ld be interested to hear how you found the skin feel afterwards, e.g. any dryness?
Arrowhead, looks like you are yet another victim of the Royal Mail. Presumably my freebies and the two PIFs were all posted by Antdad at the same time. Maybe it will turn up soon.

My apologies Soapal, didn`t mean to scare you. Just had my fourth shave with it, Gillette slim set on 4 with shave shack blade on its third day. Again it lathered up quick , and lasted well enough for 3 passes. Clean as a whistle, no nicks or grazes, no razor burn. Rinsed with cold water, no need for Alum, (thanks Fido). I left it 30 mins and my skin felt clean and smooth , not dry at all, applied some balm and I`m really pleased with the results. As I said before I will look to purchase some citrus after Christmas.

Daz.

Not at all Harley,
Those who reviewed my earliest efforts will know I'm not too easily scared. ;) I expect I'll have a third scent available after Christmas, still deciding what it will be.....'tho I think I've been talked out of Patchouli. :)

Harleyrider said:
Gillette slim set on 4 with shave shack blade on its third day.
Daz.

Number 4! Eeeek! :eek: Now that's scary. Thanks to Sirprize kindly lending me a book called Gourmet Shaving, I now understand these things a little bit; just a few notches away from a straight???

Number 4 is relatively mild, they go up to 9. Shame about being talked out of patchouli, I like Mandarin and Patchouli by St James of London but hey, we`re all different.
Best wishes,
Daz.

Gillette adjustables can be reset so my no. 9 may be different to somebody else's. I'm guessing that both of mine are on the factory settings as they behave much the same and go from almost nothing (1) to quite aggressive but not scary (9). Funnily enough the latter generally leads to a pleasant trouble free shave. I'm led to believe that it's the Merkur adjustable razors which are the real flesh eating monsters.

Having completed 5 shaves with this soap I now present my report:-

a) When lathered properly this is equally as good as a Mama Bears sample I once had the pleasure of trying.
b) The scent is a pleasant musky odour that almost borders on aromatherapy.
c) It imparts an efficient "glide" to the shave and leaves the skin feeling refreshed.
d) It does not degrade if the lather is left on face for any time.

However - one has get the lather right, and I have spent the week doing just that.
Load the brush with soap when it is no more than damp, to achieve this give the brush no more than a couple of swirls in the tub whilst dripping wet, and then invert the tub to discard any excess water while continuing to rotate the brush for 20 - 30 seconds. This will load the brush sufficiently for three passes + one touchup.
Once the result is on the face a very little water may be applied to the brush while face lathering if the lather seems too thick - this calls for fine judgement.
To achieve maximum cushion the lather must be worked until it is free of bubbles almost - but not quite - to the density of paste - this has been my experience of most fat-free soaps.
It's so much easier to do it than explain it - but once you have got it right it is well worth it.(Rather like life, really!)
Get some of this soap and go for it - it really smells Christmassy!

All in all, a efficient cake of facelube that smells lovely.

Thank you for your very thorough review, Sir Prize. Am I understanding you right that you are building the lather on your face, rather than in a bowl. If so, that is not something I have tried myself......but I may have to try to persuade HWMOM to try it as an experiment, so that I can observe the procedure.
I'm delighted you like the scent; I think it is probably my favourite of all the soaps I have made.
If anyone else it tempted to get some, I only now have it in the large bowls. But have put the Citrus one on in the vendors corner, which I am about to tidy up (my post there I mean, not the corner), and add pictures to.

Sharon,
The experts tell us (somewhere) that face or bowl, the lather is built in the brush and that the surface the brush is applied to is merely the catalyst.
For my part I prefer to combine beard prep with lather building so I face lather - it's half the fun!

After reading reviews on this site went a head and ordered some soap.

Great service from Nanny soap arrived a day after ordered.

`the soap itself great,lathers easily and my face feels great after the shave would recommend.

Valuer

Back
Top Bottom