Nanny's Gentlemen's Shaving Soap - Sandalwoody.

Thanks to a lady using her initiative this is one of the most discussed shaving soaps on the forum. I tried an earlier formulation which in my view had serious limitations. So it was great interest that I became an early purchaser of the latest incarnation now bearing the title of this review.
This is what it looks like:

8814ab33c81d2c7d989bef54f87c9137.jpg

This is natural, handmade shaving soap. And if you really want to know more about how it is made, here is a link:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nannyssillysoap.co.uk/howimakemysoap.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nannyssillysoap.co.uk/howimakemysoap.htm</a><!-- m -->

I bought a puck. This is a relatively soft soap so I was able to push it snuggly into an old Kent Shaving bowl with a lid.

It was quick and easy to whip up plenty of creamy lather. It went nicely onto my face, providing a decent level of thick lather that was stable throughout the shave. It gave a comfortable glide with the razor and performed like a very good shaving soap should.
The scent is not strong but pleasant. It is aptly named 'woody, because that's the way I would describe it. A masculine aroma!

For me, another key test is about half an hour after the shave. I want to run my hand over my face and feel a slightly moist, soft skin. It passed that test with flying colours.

So how do I sum this up? A natural hand made soap is not going to be the same as some of the highly scented big brand names. If you want something like this as a matter of principle - you are getting a very good shaving soap. If you like the idea of supporting someone trying to make a go of a small business, you can do that and get a very good product. And if you want to support someone who took the trouble to consult discerning gentlemen, at the price, its a steal.

Many people rave about Mama Bear's Soaps. I tried Mama Bear's unscented. It was very good. But for quality of the lather and shave, I found this at least as good. That's the best way I can sum this up.

Hi Fido,
Thanks for doing such a thorough review. Hopefully Antdad and Arrowhead and Antdad's other mystery gannet will chip in soon, if the latter two have received theirs by now.
I have a citrus scented one curing at the moment which I will put on the vendors section in a week or so. Am also looking forward to hearing from our friends across the water; posting 1st US sale today.

well that's a fairly glowing review - i *really* can't wait for mine to arrive.

i have to say Sharon's communication and speed of processing the order was amazingly fast.

kind of wish i'd got more than one now :lol:

Just so you know what you're getting, heres a pic. Mantic59 move over :lol: Sirprize, you may recognise a certain boar brush :)
Still can't paste pictures hers, so here's the link <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo275/peakseeker/shavingsoapfoam.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo27 ... apfoam.jpg</a><!-- m -->

shavingsoapfoam.jpg

modedit: Easy does it

just an update - mine arrived yesterday and looks and smells great. i can't wait to shave with it.

unfortunately i'll have to, as it's to be a Christmas present to me from my 3 yr old daughter. :D so last night we took it out it's box and then wrapped it up and placed it under the tree.

SpydieNut said:
just an update - mine arrived yesterday and looks and smells great. i can't wait to shave with it.

unfortunately i'll have to, as it's to be a Christmas present to me from my 3 yr old daughter. :D so last night we took it out it's box and then wrapped it up and placed it under the tree.

What a wonderful age!

I have two three year old grandchildren. Magic. They grow up too quickly. A very mature gift for a three year old. Very discerning.

Fido said:
What a wonderful age!

it certainly is - she actually turns 3 on Christmas day and this is the first birthday she's looked forward to (for a few months already). they do grow up so fast, but to see her coming on and developing into her own person is amazing.

Fido said:
I have two three year old grandchildren. Magic. They grow up too quickly. A very mature gift for a three year old. Very discerning.

thank you :D and i'll bet you spoil your grandkids (especially at this time of year) :)

so far she's given approval to my shaves (even if they haven't been especially close) and also to my various aftershaves (although she calls them perfumes)

soapalchemist said:
She's certainly growing up quickly; shopping on the internet already!!

tell me about it :D . the scary thing is, she's probably not far off getting started using computers etc.

Hi all, mystery gannet signing in. First thanks to Soapalchemist and to Antdad for the samples . Second, I wanted a couple of shaves before I posted.
As a newbie, DE shaving for approx one month I can only compare Sandalwoody against two products as yet, Pecksniffs soap (fern), and St James of London brushless cream (mandarin and patchouli).
The soap has a waxy look to it with no drying or cracks to it and has what I would call a musky aroma. On my first shave it took an eternity to lather and I was a little dissapointed, also the shave with my gillette slim set on 5 with a new wilkinson blade was again poor, it felt like there was no cushioning, lots of drag, and a couple of nicks. So to give it a fair crack, I try again the day after. The lack of lather was due to my brush going duff on me, the cup holding the bristle was loose in the handle, spinning round, rendering it inefective. A quick fix here and the sandalwoody lathers up a treat, dare I say equal to if not better than Pecksniffs, and miles better than the St James brushless cream used with a brush. The cushioning and lubrication was second to none, a new shave shack blade and two days shaving, clean as a whistle, no nicks.
I intend to buy some after Christmas, or drop some subtle hints to her indoors for Christmas, only thing I will change is the scent, probably going for unscented or maybe the citrus.
Again thanks to Soapal and Antdad.
Daz.

Mine still hasn't arrived, and since it won't get picked up 'til next Wednesday (if at all), I can't offer a review in time for the Christmas rush :( What I can say is that if the soap lathers well whilst maintaining the qualities I liked about the eucalyptus and tea tree it will be very good indeed.

Back
Top Bottom