My next safety razor

Get yourself a Tatara and be done with. Either the Nodachi (mid aggressive) or the Masamune (mild but efficient). One razor to rule them all.

I don't get adjustables at all. Have a couple of weeks fun playing around, then leave it at one setting for the rest of its life. Or at least that's my personal journey with them.

One decent non adjustable razor and learn how to enjoy it. Welcome to the Tatara. A razor for life

I have used a few different razors, modern and vintage, including the King C, and seem to end up back at the fatip for an easy modern daily shave. Vintage razors.... Tech, 1912 and Schick injectors all take some beating as a daily driver but that's another rabbit hole to fall down.

I bought the limited so have open and closed comb plates and also have a slant to cover the three options. The short handle doesn't bother me, soon get used to it. I am struggling to find anything that is better value for money so far, the hunt is still ongoing....

FWIW good soap and the correct blade for the razor make the biggest difference to me. Generally smoother blades like Rapiras, vintage WS in the slant and something a bit more aggressive like Nacets, 7 O clocks etc in the gentile version.

You will struggle to go wrong with any of the razors mentioned above. Pick your colour and add it to the collection

In fact there is a fatip for sale on the forum @Blademonkey is selling. If you don't buy it I will add it to my fatip collection!

My first safety razor was an Edwin Jagger 89 DE. It got damaged so I bought myself a Wilkinson Sword Classic(the black version). I still have it. I always have problems with the against the grain pass just below my chin and on the neck.
I am looking to buy a new razor. What should I get: a slant, an open comb, an adjustable?
The EJ89 is a lot better than the Wilkinson Sword Classic, which I found to be the worst razor I’ve ever used. Pretty mush impossible to get a decent shave from. As for getting something else, if you get open with SBs then stick with those rather than an open comb, which is a bit of acquired taste. Some people love them, and some people don’t get in with them at all. Adjustable are worth a try, but are a bit of a novelty, though do let you try different levels of aggression to see what you prefer. The Pearl Flexi is very decent for the price on that score. The Rockwell 6C is a great adjustable that feels more like having 6 different razors with different levels of aggression. Gives a great shave too, and great value for the price, but is rather ugly with that chunky head. The Henson Medium is worth considering too if you just want a no hassle close and comfortable shave, ideal if you’re one of those people who has a shave when half asleep or needs to hurry with their shave before heading out to work and don’t want to risk nicks and cuts. It is light and feels a bit like a toy but gives a great shave.

If you like the idea of an adjustable, and why not, they are great. Then I can highly recommend both the Pearl Flexi or the Yaqi Adjustable. I have owned both but now only own the Yaqi. No fault of the Pearl, great razor but I re-evaluated my relationship with shaving and collecting shaving gear and downsized to exactly what works and I enjoy. The Yaqi isn't expensive but it is well made and just does what it should.

Last edited:
I have used a few different razors, modern and vintage, including the King C, and seem to end up back at the fatip for an easy modern daily shave. Vintage razors.... Tech, 1912 and Schick injectors all take some beating as a daily driver but that's another rabbit hole to fall down.

I bought the limited so have open and closed comb plates and also have a slant to cover the three options. The short handle doesn't bother me, soon get used to it. I am struggling to find anything that is better value for money so far, the hunt is still ongoing....

FWIW good soap and the correct blade for the razor make the biggest difference to me. Generally smoother blades like Rapiras, vintage WS in the slant and something a bit more aggressive like Nacets, 7 O clocks etc in the gentile version.

You will struggle to go wrong with any of the razors mentioned above. Pick your colour and add it to the collection

In fact there is a fatip for sale on the forum @Blademonkey is selling. If you don't buy it I will add it to my fatip collection!
Fatips are great value

I’m currently doing a week long test of one against an even cheaper razor in a “reasonably priced razor” comparison...

Back
Top Bottom