My next safety razor

My first safety razor was an Edwin Jagger 89 DE. It got damaged so I bought myself a Wilkinson Sword Classic(the black version). I still have it. I always have problems with the against the grain pass just below my chin and on the neck.
I am looking to buy a new razor. What should I get: a slant, an open comb, an adjustable?

Are you only looking at double edge razors or single edge as well?
I only ask as you mentioned razors that are double edge but posted in the Single Edge razors forum.
I'm not experiences with SEs except injectors. Parker do a decent adjustsble for not much money.

In terms of SEs, slants are quite aggressive for me but I've also found them to be efficient and often get close in areas others can't. The Parker 55 semi-slant and the Merkur 37c (or 39c for the long handle version) are good. Recently there have been posts on here confirming there was a revision to the 37c which would be worth reading if you are interested in a Slant.

Open combs I think are supposed to comb the beard so better for people who don't shave regularly. I personally like the Gillette New short comb and long comb versions. Can't really advise on any modern ones. Perhaps a Fatip Piccolo would be a good choice. It comes with both closed and open comb heads and is inexpensive. The handle might be a bit small but other handles can fit (possibly your EJ 89 one might if it isn't broken).

Just some initial thoughts to start you off.
Others will chip in soon I'm sure.

Are you only looking at double edge razors or single edge as well?
I only ask as you mentioned razors that are double edge but posted in the Single Edge razors forum.
I'm not experiences with SEs except injectors. Parker do a decent adjustsble for not much money.

In terms of SEs, slants are quite aggressive for me but I've also found them to be efficient and often get close in areas others can't. The Parker 55 semi-slant and the Merkur 37c (or 39c for the long handle version) are good. Recently there have been posts on here confirming there was a revision to the 37c which would be worth reading if you are interested in a Slant.

Open combs I think are supposed to comb the beard so better for people who don't shave regularly. I personally like the Gillette New short comb and long comb versions. Can't really advise on any modern ones. Perhaps a Fatip Piccolo would be a good choice. It comes with both closed and open comb heads and is inexpensive. The handle might be a bit small but other handles can fit (possibly your EJ 89 one might if it isn't broken).

Just some initial thoughts to start you off.
Others will chip in soon I'm sure.
I'm looking for a double edge safety razor.

Merkur 37C is the best of the current market slants (still) ... check out my spotter's guide since there has been a change in recent years which now provides a highly engineered razor which is absolutely suitable for everyone, whereas slants certain;y used to have the reputation of being a kinda advanced thing.

Short of it is, the current market 37C is a superb daily razor which gives a very close but very safe shave.

Yes there’s 6 levels and you flip the base plate so each base has two settings. In practice I rarely swap mid shave but some days need a closer shave than others.

I never change it during a shave. Never adjusted an adjustable during a shave either. Also, I don't understand whybpeople adjust to milder settings as the shave progresses. Surely, if you're going to change then you need a keener setting as there's less growth (?)

KCG is a very slight take on the classic R89 from Muhle. I have both and they're both very good but Muhle have absolutely eclipsed that design with their Rocca which is a razor you just can't get a bad shave from whatever the blade choice. Yeah, for cheap and cheerful, the KCG is worth a punt ... I use the handle more than the head. I use my Rocca a lot.

Back
Top Bottom