moisturiser

henkverhaar said:
Adam D said:
I have always needed to use a moisturiser after an ASB to get that moisture back in my skin irrespective of the season.

Note that NO moisturizer will actually 'get moisture [back] into your skin'. A moisturizer is basically a vapour block. What it does is create a barrier (with oil or other non-water soluble component) that prevents moisture in your skin from evaporating. Any other claims made by cosmetics manufacturers/peddlers are just marketing hype.

There are some cream/moisturizer ingredients that would, in principle, be able to attract some water from the surrounding air and into your skin, but their concentration and limited ability to penetrate into deeper skin layers (i.e. beyond the stratum corneum) makes it questionable whether they have any real effect. Plus, higher concentrations will actually have the opposite effect. Since they are mostly limited to penetrating the SC, rather than attracting moisture from the air, they will actually start attracting moisture from the deeper skin layers and thereby increase dehydration.

Thanks for that. You learn something new every day :)

+1 on the Men U moisturiser, its great stuff, but no SPF lets it down.

I have used loads in the past, too many to name :oops:

Oil of Ulay sensitive liquid with SPF15 is a cheap ( under 5 quid) and really nice and soothing.

Fido said:
I recall that after my shave at The Gentleman's Shop, my barber told me that all we really need is a moisturiser. I have always assumed that this is what a balm is supposed to be.

I only use aftershave these days and my skin always feels fine. It is rather on the greasy side though, so perhaps I'm one of the lucky few who can get away without it.

Arrowhead said:
You hear that PigCat? Probably best to get your marker down on it now, just to be on the safe side. ;)

Thanks mate but this one's not really for me.

Pig Cat said:
Fido said:
I recall that after my shave at The Gentleman's Shop, my barber told me that all we really need is a moisturiser. I have always assumed that this is what a balm is supposed to be.

I only use aftershave these days and my skin always feels fine. It is rather on the greasy side though, so perhaps I'm one of the lucky few who can get away without it.

Arrowhead said:
You hear that PigCat? Probably best to get your marker down on it now, just to be on the safe side. ;)

Thanks mate but this one's not really for me.

There's a difference between a greasy skin and a moisturised/hydrated skin!

I have been using Arko Classic Soft Krem recently.

It is quite a heavy moisturiser and I doubt that I would use it in the summer, but it seems to be working well at this time of year and it will be interesting to see how it fares come the winter.

Back
Top Bottom