Merkur Vision - views?

You are right about the Vision. You dont hear much about it. Maybe it is the price? I have a Futur that I am going to get rid of, it was great to try it but it just wasnt a keeper for me. You could try it if you wanted.

Bought mine on ebay a couple of months ago for around £40 , alittle tatty but cleaned up ok. Being relatively new to this shaving malarky it did take some getting used to when compared to my EJ 89 as it is so bloody big . Also I found it to be very sensitive to blades .
Now I am loving it , I have found the long handle very versatile , holding it at the end for cheeks and neck ,but up at the head for under the nose etc. never feeling ungainly or clumsy . The sheer weight of the thing mows down the whiskers ,never needing pressure or force.
The adjustment collar is infiintley variable so you can twiddle to your heart's content .
As regards the maintenance - I just rinse after a shave , and every 2-3 weeks dissasemble (1 minute job) and give a quick wipe down. Everything is solid about this razor and instills confidence in its integrity.

I am a small bloke - only 5' 4 -so I can pretend to be a Borrower when using it but as i said earlier its balance and versatility can cope with my verically challenged nature.
I some times alternate with my ej and its like comparing a Bentley to a mini - both fun in different ways. I do like the look of it as well - stirs images of the Futurist movement
So all in all ,
would I reccomend buying one - yes ,
is it the only razor I will ever use -no ( thinking about a Gillette slim)
Go ahead - you deserve it

Thanks Neal. I have the opposite problem (well almost). I'm quite tall and have big hands - I like a longer razor, although haven't tried one with a big head yet. I'm sure I will give it a go - it's only a matter of time - but anecdotal feedback on here helps manage my expectations and decide exactly which razors have priority!!

huck1680 said:
I had one and wound up selling it. Mainly, just too big and bulky, not too heavy just awkward. It is imho, overly fussy for a DE compared to other razors in that price range.

Echo all that.

It shaves well when dialled in. Is definately an awkward bugger under the shnozzle, but, with a bit of other hand intervention it will work.

I stripped mine every couple of months & found that it did not really need it.

Had it and sold it. Do not know if the new owner is happy with it.

IMG_1170.jpg

It consists of too many parts for a DE razor. It looks ok (this is subjective of course) but as others have said it is indeed a bit bulky and heavy. That may not be an issue for you, though. Certainly there are people in Europe and across the pond who have it and are very happy with it.

But beware - why not use a simple, standard, well tested and used over many many years two- or three-piece razor? The Vision has had numerous reports of QC issues. Then they changed it a bit and got out with the Vision 2000. Still, too many moveable parts. No need, really.

Mine was flimsy. The safety bar below the two head covers (or butterflies) was slightly flimsy on the right end of one of its sides. This I did not like, coming from owning a Futur. It is not nice to pay 100 Euros and get something like this. It will either feel rock solid just like the Futur or it serves no purpose.

This is the difference between razors such as the 34C (aka HD) and the Vision 2000. Simplicity is the shortest way to smooth functionality and reliability. If you get a good one, it may become your favorite. For me it did not work that way.

I bought one and ended up selling it pretty much straight away. The member who bought it from me drew the same conclusions, as do others.

. Too Bulky and doesn't represent great value - At the time, it was selling new for £75. No idea what the price is now. My regular razors are big, but the Vision is big and clunky.
. I fiound the adjustability not to be the best - in terms of indication or setting.
. As said above, over complicated design.

Of course, there must be some people who get on with it, but it will be a small minority.
http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=5310
http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=343&page

My 2 pennies worth.

I'm with Sonny, I borrowed one from a guy who finished up giving it to a charity shop (when they still accepted shaving kit). For me it was way, way too heavy & clumsy. If it's an adjustable Merkur you fancy I'd go with the Progress myself. But, diff strokes for diff folks.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz::icon_razz:

I quite like my Futur. I love the way you can put any blade into it and it will give a cracking shave.

Once you get used to using it under your nose, its fantastic.

N_Architect said:
Had it and sold it. Do not know if the new owner is happy with it.

IMG_1170.jpg

It consists of too many parts for a DE razor. It looks ok (this is subjective of course) but as others have said it is indeed a bit bulky and heavy. That may not be an issue for you, though. Certainly there are people in Europe and across the pond who have it and are very happy with it.

But beware - why not use a simple, standard, well tested and used over many many years two- or three-piece razor? The Vision has had numerous reports of QC issues. Then they changed it a bit and got out with the Vision 2000. Still, too many moveable parts. No need, really.

Mine was flimsy. The safety bar below the two head covers (or butterflies) was slightly flimsy on the right end of one of its sides. This I did not like, coming from owning a Futur. It is not nice to pay 100 Euros and get something like this. It will either feel rock solid just like the Futur or it serves no purpose.

This is the difference between razors such as the 34C (aka HD) and the Vision 2000. Simplicity is the shortest way to smooth functionality and reliability. If you get a good one, it may become your favorite. For me it did not work that way.

nice lamy, and is that the new de's that there making now?

Back
Top Bottom