Merkur Vision - views?

I have found very little on tsr about these. Other forums are available but i trust you guys more ;-) Don't see them in shave of the day. Does anyone have any experience of them. What do they think? I think it looks bulky and not keen on the aesthetics but no idea how they shave or feel.

I've been looking for a perished one for sometime now. They don't seem to come up very often and when they do they're over $100US. The only thing negative that has worried me about a preowned is that I keep reading about the care that they need to keep working properly. Hate to buy one and find it in need of parts or repair in a short time.
Also not finding.vendors selling new troubles me.
Any current owners have input?

I've had one. I didn't like it. It's just way to big.

It was a nice shaver but due to the amount of moving parts it felt heavy and fragile.

Cleaning it takes 2 seconds. I wouldn't worry about buying second hand, the mechanism is complicated for a razor but is very simple.

Overall not my cup of tea. I much prefer the Futur.

The video says everything. I did read somewhere that it was recommended to clean it completely often because of the internal spring.
I have a Futur That I really like; thought that if I could get the vision for $70us I'd give it a try. Over $100, not sure.

I owned a Futur and in all honesty having tried out a few razors I found it to be the most awful razor to use, shaving around and under your nose with this razor is impossible it as no accuracy or control, it was like holding a small lump hammer in my hand, as you already noticed there are some expensive pieces of kit on the shave of the day but not many Vision or Futur razors so i believe there lies your answer, so i guess the Vision wouldn't be much better, all I can say about those two razors they look fantastic, but Handsome is as handsome does.

Jamie

I had one and wound up selling it. Mainly, just too big and bulky, not too heavy just awkward. It is imho, overly fussy for a DE compared to other razors in that price range.

I thought as much about the manoeuvreability, but I don't really like the looks of the vision either - well, not as much as the futur. I guess that's why I never asked before but I'm going through an adjustable razor faze. The futur does look good though so maybe that's my solution. Interesting hearing your views on it.

One of the reasons for getting rid of the Vision was I got a Futur which, for me, is a very nice razor and a very good shave. Decided on the matte finish instead of the chrome (easier to hold when wet)

huck1680 said:
One of the reasons for getting rid of the Vision was I got a Futur which, for me, is a very nice razor and a very good shave. Decided on the matte finish instead of the chrome (easier to hold when wet)
Hello men
I can give you my view on this as i ended up with the razor from Dipesh i also own a futur as well you can't really compare the two shaves its chalk and cheese totally different .Regarding the vision it's quick and easy to clean once you figure out how stripping it down you can only go as far as taking the the tto mechanism and blade gap screw out and the bottom of the handle. The head itself is different from stripping a fusion with the large centred spring.I 've had advice from a guy thats tried to strip it further and he as told me the the head is screw locked and if you try unscrewing this your razor head will just spin when trying to put it all back together so i've left well alone.
I'm in a soft water area so cleaning this i've done once in three months of using it so its not an issue to me. I've no problem with it at all if you can hit the awkward bits with a fusion you can soon do the same with the vision just take care, if a futur has to much bite for you i would advice to leave the vision alone its a lot more aggressive on the lower settings needs practice to tame it.

That's really helpful, especially about the aggression - thanks. Is the stripping down really necessary every 3 months or so or is it just best practice. I've had fatboys and slim adjustables used regularly over the last year and done no maintenance bar cleaning the outer surface

NotTheStig said:
That's really helpful, especially about the aggression - thanks. Is the stripping down really necessary every 3 months or so or is it just best practice. I've had fatboys and slim adjustables used regularly over the last year and done no maintenance bar cleaning the outer surface

It takes only seconds to do very easy as Dipesh says so nothing spoiling to check now and then just to wipe the spindle. There's four holes underneath the head which gets rid of all of the soap i scrape off on similar lines to the futur.

press said:
NotTheStig said:

It takes only seconds to do very easy as Dipesh says so nothing spoiling to check now and then just to wipe the spindle. There's four holes underneath the head which gets rid of all of the soap i scrape off on similar lines to the futur.

Mathew at Traditional shaving in Leeds had them last time i looked about 75 quid i think they were.

Back
Top Bottom