Merkur Slant

Forgive me for being thicker than a whale omelette - but what is the advantage of a slant?

It slices instead of chops.

Or at least that was the idea. Imagine a guillotine, old style... straight blade, it used to drop straight down and therefore chop, and it used to get halfway through a neck and get stuck.

Some clever bloke came along and decided that a angled guillotine blade would slice through the neck more efficiently, and he was right, it did.

Some even cleverer bloke from Merkur came along about 200 years later and decided that a slanted blade would slice through thick stubble much cleaner and quicker and he was right.

In short: The slant bar razor head traps the blade in an angled stance to allow your "straight down" sweep to actually slice at an angle.

It is much beloved of thick bearded men.

I have a 39c, and I enjoy using it.

As has been said, it tends to slice instead of chopping, and that seems to reduce any chances of tugging, and it makes the shave very quiet.

You get the same result with a slant as you do with a normal DE razor, but it's acheived slightly differently.

There is a lot of bluster posted on various forums about how aggressive the slant is, but in my experience it isn't. In 1 WTG pass, my Futur removes more hair than the slant can.

As a member of SMF once said "The Slant is an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem."

Ian

moodymick said:
Agree to an extent with Ian, I had the 37C, which was just a wonky 34C. Did it shave well? yeah it was ok. Was it great or worthy of the column inches they get? No, no not really.

Used it for a month and then sold it on as there was nothing really of additional benefit to me, other than novelty factor.

You may have a different experience. :|

Mmm methinks I should see if some kind soul on here will loan me one to try. I cannot see the point in shelling out my hard earned cash and then selling it a month later. I am trying to calm my RAD down and stick to just a few............. :roll: ...........

missingskin said:
Mmm methinks I should see if some kind soul on here will loan me one to try. I cannot see the point in shelling out my hard earned cash and then selling it a month later. I am trying to calm my RAD down and stick to just a few............. :roll: ...........

PM Sent regarding loan.

Ian

moodymick said:
Well, thanks to Ian's generosity, that all worked out rather nicely indeed! :)

Indeed it has, I think when some (all?) of us start to get into D.E. shaving we can get RAD very quickly and all of a sudden find ourselves surrounded by things we just look at and not use......... :shock:
I have reached that point and decided to thin out my "stock" and only buy razors I will use.........except for 2...... :roll: .....hence Ian allowing me to try before I buy is a very kind gesture in deed !!

kev... said:
If you fancy trying a hoffritz let me know! :)

Hoffrritz arrived this morning and what a fine beast it looks !! I will try it out over the weekend.....................you do realise how how flakey RM can be, especially when returning razors............... :shock: :p :lol:

I've had my 39c for a week and it is a nice razor. I have a 38r which is another merkur and very similar in weight and handle length but not a slant. In this short period of time I haven't noticed it to be more aggressive except that I haven't noticed any tugging of hairs as blades get worn out. It hasn't been the revelation I was half expecting, but it hasn't been bad by any means, and I haven't tried it with a Feather yet.

NotTheStig said:
I've had my 39c for a week and it is a nice razor. I have a 38r which is another merkur and very similar in weight and handle length but not a slant. In this short period of time I haven't noticed it to be more aggressive except that I haven't noticed any tugging of hairs as blades get worn out. It hasn't been the revelation I was half expecting, but it hasn't been bad by any means, and I haven't tried it with a Feather yet.

Well I will have a Merkur and the Hoffritz to try out so I will see if they shave any different............The problem is going to be if I like the Hoffritz and not the Merkur, because then the hunt starts....... :roll: :roll:

I tried my recently acquired Hoffritz this morning with a Feather; In my circle of friends we refer to that blade as a Shogun. Well it did put a smile on my face. 2 passes WTG & ATG. I was faceterbating all the way into work; it feels so smooth. Snapping out of that dream world; I'll use the Shogun in my 34 HD tommorrow for comparison. Someone on this topic thread referred to the Slant as novelty - yep. I'm new to a Slant and after quite a few shaves with the new Merkur, I'm going after the looks of a vintage NOS Merkur which I won on eBay (sorry! didn't know it was you). My decision is to shave with it upon arrival. I've got just as good a shave from other DE razors; Edwin Jagger comes to mind. I like the Slant's look. My goal now is to trade for a 37G. Yes novelty, but one will always be in my rotation because it is one nice tool. Regards, Robert

Robert Otten said:
I tried my recently acquired Hoffritz this morning with a Feather; In my circle of friends we refer to that blade as a Shogun. Well it did put a smile on my face. 2 passes WTG & ATG. I was faceterbating all the way into work; it feels so smooth.

Regards, Robert

Good deal Robert,

Nice that the Hoffritz fit you well, and with a Feather blade to boot. I never have used that blade in any of my slants, figuring it to be just a bit too sharp for that type of razor. Yeah, I can see how that set up could do a close shave pretty easily for the right person.

The slant's a good change of pace razor to have in the arsenal,

Martin

Back
Top Bottom