Merkur Slant

New or vintage, is it worth spending a bit more on a vintage one or should I just get one from B&H while the discount is on? Is there any difference between the 2?
Thanks for any advise.....

Inc postage a mint condition vintage one including the original box and cardboard outer sleeve £40.00 posted (just missed it on evilbay). Average one inc case about 30(ish) posted.
New £28.00 posted..........

Trueman said:
You probably already know this, but NatJag has Merkur 37C slant on BST going for a good price...

EDIT: No he doesn't, it's sold - sorry

I know I had meetings all day with our insurance loss adjusters, so I missed it........... :( :(

missingskin said:
New or vintage, is it worth spending a bit more on a vintage one or should I just get one from B&H while the discount is on? Is there any difference between the 2?

Hi there,

I don't know all that much about various slant models, but from what I understand there's a few different vintage types. One version has a thinner handle and also probably weighs less than the other. That type may be called the Chessman model, but I'm not sure. You'll often see em with that sorta whitish handle.

According to a buddy of mine, he prefers the heavier thick handle version for performance. Having never used the thin handle type, I can't speak from experience.

I hope my info was on the money, but I'm not 100% certain. Make sure you order the one you're interested in if you go the vintage route. I can toss up a few pics showing the differences if you need those. Heh, even though I don't use a slant very often, it doesn't mean I don't have a few laying around the arsenal. I have a vintage Hoffritz, an old Merkur(thin handle), and also a slant made by Dovo years ago.

Martin

dodgy said:
missingskin said:

Hi there,

I don't know all that much about various slant models, but from what I understand there's a few different vintage types. One version has a thinner handle and also probably weighs less than the other. That type may be called the Chessman model, but I'm not sure. You'll often see em with that sorta whitish handle.

According to a buddy of mine, he prefers the heavier thick handle version for performance. Having never used the thin handle type, I can't speak from experience.

I hope my info was on the money, but I'm not 100% certain. Make sure you order the one you're interested in if you go the vintage route. I can toss up a few pics showing the differences if you need those. Heh, even though I don't use a slant very often, it doesn't mean I don't have a few laying around the arsenal. I have a vintage Hoffritz, an old Merkur(thin handle), and also a slant made by Dovo years ago.

Martin

The Hoffritz was my other choice, Greg (Ikon aka Banned Vendor) has one for sale. Pics would be good as I didn't realise there were different versions of vintage slants

missingskin said:
[
The Hoffritz was my other choice, Greg (Ikon aka Banned Vendor) has one for sale. Pics would be good as I didn't realise there were different versions of vintage slants

Ok Steve,

Keep in mind I'm not totally sure that what I'm typing is exactly right, since I don't know much about these types of razors. Heh, I'm cautiously optimistic about not steering you wrong though.

One pic shows the Hoffritz on the left and the Dovo on the right. They're both pretty similar to each other and shave about the same. The middle one's a Merkur and it's a fair bit different from the other two looks wise. Heh, I've never actually used the thing and can't comment on the shave.

The Merkur has a different scalloped head design, and I believe it's a lighter razor than the other slants in that pic. You'll also notice it's a three piecer, while the others are two.

Sadly, I can't help with the dates on any of these. Still, maybe some of this post will help,

Martin

Oh, I looked at the site you mentioned and I don't believe that's a Hoffritz model slant.

Attachments

• slants 007.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 139
  • slants 006.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 137
  • slants 001.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 136
[attachment=0]

Martin, this is the Merkur I am looking at this is the E/B pic but it is the same razor as on the Ikon site (and Shave Den... :( ).

Attachments

• Slant.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 126
Hiya,

Here's a few more slant pics, including the rare and famous Lady Pomco razor. This thing's a real piece of work, with two different sides to the head. One side is curved for the delicate underarm area, and the other's a slant type for legs. Heh, I did use the slant side (for science) and the thing about tore me up. The Lady has a sassy side!

Martin

Attachments

• pomco 001 (Small).jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 123
  • pomco 002 (Small).jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 122
  • hoffritz and dovo 001.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 122
missingskin said:
[attachment=0]

Martin, this is the Merkur I am looking at this is the E/B pic but it is the same razor as on the Ikon site (and Shave Den... :( ).

Yeah, that one looks like a different set up than the ones I have. Sorry I can't be of more help as far as which type shaves the best.

Martin

Father Ted said:
Forgive me for being thicker than a whale omelette - but what is the advantage of a slant?

Maybe someone who loves these things will be able to answer that question. Personally, I don't quite understand the attraction to a slant, and don't notice em shaving any closer than many other razors I've tried.

Part of any issue may be my technique, although I have maybe 12-15 shaves using a slant of some type. I get the concept of cutting on the angle, but can't really see why I should use one of these things regularly.

Ted, you should try one and see for yourself.......not to enable you or anything. Most of the ones I've tried haven't been all that aggressive, which sorta surprised me.

Martin

dodgy said:
Hiya,

Here's a few more slant pics, including the rare and famous Lady Pomco razor. This thing's a real piece of work, with two different sides to the head. One side is curved for the delicate underarm area, and the other's a slant type for legs. Heh, I did use the slant side (for science) and the thing about tore me up. The Lady has a sassy side!

Martin

I want that boxed one............... :shock: :shock: .. ;)

missingskin said:
I want that boxed one............... :shock: :shock: .. ;)

Yeah, that's what I think of when a Hoffritz comes to mind. Matter of fact, I used that one just last week for a nice change of pace. Heh, now it'll sit for months until calling to me again. Sadly, it's one of those razors I can't bring myself to sell, even though it's rarely used. Heh, James knows about that type of razor from talking to him about another one of mine.

If it was me looking for a slant, I would try finding one like the Hoffritz or Dovo style. I think the extra weight would be a benefit, and the balance might be better also.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom