Merkur Slant

dodgy said:
Robert Otten said:
I tried my recently acquired Hoffritz this morning with a Feather; In my circle of friends we refer to that blade as a Shogun. Well it did put a smile on my face. 2 passes WTG & ATG. I was faceterbating all the way into work; it feels so smooth.

Regards, Robert

Good deal Robert,

Nice that the Hoffritz fit you well, and with a Feather blade to boot. I never have used that blade in any of my slants, figuring it to be just a bit too sharp for that type of razor. Yeah, I can see how that set up could do a close shave pretty easily for the right person.

The slant's a good change of pace razor to have in the arsenal,

Martin

Kev sent me some Feathers with the razor but the last time I used them I ended up with a face to match my nickname......... :lol: :lol: .........so I might try a Bleue 1st.

So Martin if I like the slant which one of your selection are you going to sell me the ??????........ :roll: :roll: ...........you know you want to...... :lol:

Wow!..perhaps it was your blade you used?..some blades are more forgiving than others

B

dodgy said:
Hiya,

Here's a few more slant pics, including the rare and famous Lady Pomco razor. This thing's a real piece of work, with two different sides to the head. One side is curved for the delicate underarm area, and the other's a slant type for legs. Heh, I did use the slant side (for science) and the thing about tore me up. The Lady has a sassy side!

Martin

Wow!..perhaps it was your blade you used?..some blades are more forgiving than others

B

dodgy said:
Hiya,

Here's a few more slant pics, including the rare and famous Lady Pomco razor. This thing's a real piece of work, with two different sides to the head. One side is curved for the delicate underarm area, and the other's a slant type for legs. Heh, I did use the slant side (for science) and the thing about tore me up. The Lady has a sassy side!

Martin

missingskin said:
Kev sent me some Feathers with the razor but the last time I used them I ended up with a face to match my nickname......... :lol: :lol: .........so I might try a Bleue 1st.

So Martin if I like the slant which one of your selection are you going to sell me the ??????........ :roll: :roll: ...........you know you want to...... :lol:

Yeah, I'd try your normal blade with the slant and see what happens. No sense in switching more than one variable.

As to the slant I guess I'm selling you........it's a tough choice. The ones I've pictured earlier are nice razors I'd imagine, but you haven't seen the one I use most. Yep, I was sorta keeping this one a secret, and you'll see why in a minute.

I found this cased travel Hoffritz at an estate sale a while back. The case was closed and I had no idea of what might be inside. When I opened the case lid........well, I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Now keep in mind this razor was pretty dirty when I bought it, and what's shown is after a LOT of cleanup effort. Yeah, sometimes you just get lucky.

Now normally I wouldn't consider selling this special slant, but I believe you and I have bonded in some way. I am considering selling you this unusual 'custom' Hoffritz, which by the way is the only slant in my rotation. The others are crap compared to this slant.

I haven't quite decided on a price, but it'll be expensive. After all, the more expensive a razor, the better it is. Hell, anyone knows that.

Ok then, enjoy the pics bestest buddy,

Martin

Attachments

• nasty slant 001.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 61
  • nasty slant 004.jpg
  • nasty slant 005.jpg
Hiya,

Ok, I just couldn't resist a few more pics of this lovely piece of shaving history. I'm thinking about a price...........

Attachments

• nasty slant 002.jpg
  • nasty slant 003.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 60
dodgy said:
Hiya,

Ok, I just couldn't resist a few more pics of this lovely piece of shaving history. I'm thinking about a price...........

Well Martin, you could always sell me that cheap Hoffritz in the blue box you have I mean it would not be fair to take your best razor off you. I don't want you to get sellers remorse.........or at a push the Dovo might be an option if you twist my arm enough........... :roll: :roll:

missingskin said:
Well Martin, you could always sell me that cheap Hoffritz in the blue box you have I mean it would not be fair to take your best razor off you. I don't want you to get sellers remorse.........or at a push the Dovo might be an option if you twist my arm enough........... :roll: :roll:

First of all, thanks for the concern about potential sellers remorse. I hate that even more than non buyers remorse......actually I hate em both the same amount. You are a sensitive man to think of my feelings.

So I couldn't get you to bite on that near mint condition Merkur travel set? Yes, that is genuine plating loss on the head, and you might have noticed that line of corrosion underneath the edge of the top piece. The best part is some of the teeth have actually been eaten away and are just sorta nubs. Now that's something you don't see every day.

Yeah, I spent more time than I should have trying to clean this nasty piece up. It was so funky when I first bought the thing for just a couple bucks, and I was hoping a long hot water/Dawn soak, and some Maas and scrubbing bubbles would fix it right up. This poor thing was seriously abused with no way to make things better. Sometimes I do get lucky, but this wasn't one of those times...........heh.

So, how does $90 sound? I think that's a fair price, especially considering the case is included. If that's not expensive enough let me know so I can adjust things. This would be a piece you'd be proud to post in your SOTD. It will provide you with a unique shaving experience.

Martin

Oh.....for the moment I have to keep that other junky looking boxed Hoffritz and the other two slants. The Dovo was marketed in the US by a company called J. Corrado and was sold in their store under their name. If I'm not mistaken, that company also sold some really nice straights as well, back in the day.

Ok then Steve, I'll send you my paypal info and will wait for the cash to hit my account.

Your best buddy,

Martin

dodgy said:
missingskin said:

First of all, thanks for the concern about potential sellers remorse. I hate that even more than non buyers remorse......actually I hate em both the same amount. You are a sensitive man to think of my feelings.

So I couldn't get you to bite on that near mint condition Merkur travel set? Yes, that is genuine plating loss on the head, and you might have noticed that line of corrosion underneath the edge of the top piece. The best part is some of the teeth have actually been eaten away and are just sorta nubs. Now that's something you don't see every day.

Yeah, I spent more time than I should have trying to clean this nasty piece up. It was so funky when I first bought the thing for just a couple bucks, and I was hoping a long hot water/Dawn soak, and some Maas and scrubbing bubbles would fix it right up. This poor thing was seriously abused with no way to make things better. Sometimes I do get lucky, but this wasn't one of those times...........heh.

So, how does $90 sound? I think that's a fair price, especially considering the case is included. If that's not expensive enough let me know so I can adjust things. This would be a piece you'd be proud to post in your SOTD. It will provide you with a unique shaving experience.

Martin

Oh.....for the moment I have to keep that other junky looking boxed Hoffritz and the other two slants. The Dovo was marketed in the US by a company called J. Corrado and was sold in their store under their name. If I'm not mistaken, that company also sold some really nice straights as well, back in the day.

Ok then Steve, I'll send you my paypal info and will wait for the cash to hit my account.

Your best buddy,

Martin

Well Martin, I can only assume you price is CONUS postage only and that I will have to fly to some P.O. box in the USA to collect it and that is still cheap, so I am guessing that the travel Hoffritz razor is not as good as you are making out.
But as to your junky looking Dovo/Hoffritz slants I may have "The One" razor for you, I think you will not be able to resist the offer. I will post pics and tell you more tomorrow as me and Mr Jack Daniels are having a nice chat at the moment and the camera battery is on charge..... :lol: :lol: ........
Speak tomorrow,best buddy........
Steve

Merkur vintage slant arrived yesterday. Lots of things discovered here on this topic so let me do a quick run down. First I won a Hoffirtz box with 2 blade holders. Wanted to get a presentation box for the Hoffritz purchased via another auction. Well, that arrived and would not fit a 37C. Martin revealed that there is a thinner handle one and this may have been the case for that type slant. Another thing I learned is that there is a white paint or powder coating on the handle of some Merks.

Attached is a picture of the white bakelite box, a 37C, Hoffritz and the NOS slant with powder coating. Stamping on the handle is deep and readable. I had every intention of using this today but now is not the time to enjoy this. We have a burst of Spring time weather and we must get outside in the garden and studio while Chicago is kicking the Seahawks jaws into the turf at Soldier Field. I live near Seattle, but I'm a true Bears fan being from the Midwest, Clinton, Iowa.

A vintasge progress I picked up had W.Germany on the handle. These both read Germany-Solingen. This particular slant was advertised as a 1940's. My one Hoffritz looks like Martin's razor in the well used department, but it gives a great shave.

Attachments

• Slants and Toggle 001.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 33
Back
Top Bottom