Merkur Futur - place to purchase new

Fair enough - thanks for the info.

Call me naive, but if it saves a whale/dolphin/<your favourite wildlife here>, I'd rather spend the euros for a new razor in 10 years time. Too bad I can't have a Futur with the 'hard' chrome but so be it.

/m

In terms of durability - most parts of the Futur are also made of zinc alloy rather than the brass of vintage razors. Zinc alloy is generally more reactive and corrodes far faster once the plating starts to pinhole with wear. Brass, on the other hand, is generally much less reactive, and so long as the razor is kept clean and dried after use, will not corrode and pit in the same way.

Once the plating goes on zinc alloy, it gets ugly - if it goes on brass, you can call it a patina... ;)

this thread is getting even more interesting. Perhaps a Rhodium plated Futur is possible. :shock: That would look nice, but is it possible?
I too understand chromium plating and quality has been affected, particulary in the motoring industry with wheels etc. Brands famous for chrome now have moved away as they can't guarantee the plating any more, so perhaps it is a new-global metalurgical phenomenon! I've decide against Gold, favouring shiney chrome instead. Regarding the comments on zinc alloy...I read merkur used brass, maybe they did. When did they move to zinc alloy with the futur and other razors? Any Rickenbacker (guitar) owners would know or have heard about the "R" tailpiece fracturing and exploding. Same thing...zinc alloy

bushranger said:
Oh. that matt grey finish, what is that coating? Paint?
I'm guessing the metal is bead-blasted before being plated. Bead-blasting after plating would do too much damage to the relatively thin (microns only) plating.

I don't know when Merkur moved over to using brass, but there was a "How it's made" vid posted up on here a few weeks ago, which showed a Vision being made, with parts being made in white (zinc) alloy and then being plated. It would be nice if they still used brass for the heads of their 2 and 3-piece razors like the Slant and the HD, but somehow I doubt it. Anyone want to take a file to theirs to find out...?

I dare say that wouldn't be necessary. just some accurate scales would probably suffice. I doubt zinc-alloy has the same mass as brass.

I don't have accurate scales, though I do have a slant :D

/m

Back
Top Bottom