Merkur Futur - place to purchase new

Hey All. I'm interested and :hungrig in trying one of these out as an alternative to what I've used for some years. I prefer the shiney chrome & secondly the gold. Is THIS PLACE still the cheapest place to by one new + TSR discount? This is important as it's a bit of money to see if I like this razor. For reference, my favourite adjustable has been the SLIM (only tried it and a FatBoy). Other preferred DEs include the 3-piece antique Gillette combs, and I have a new Edwin Jagger 86 wth Muhle head which I'm enjoying, but I would like to go something different again which is why the Futur is preferred over the Progress.

Thanks for any advice and guidance! :shave

The Futur is certainly a solid performer, hefty and balanced, well made though a bit bulky.

Not sure if the aforementioned vendor has the cheapest price in the market if you include the offered TSR discount.

Highly recommended vendor is Connaught Shaving, many people use him in this forum, he tends to have pretty low prices on most shaving supplies and a very wide range overall.
You may also want to try Badger & Hone, The English Shaving Company, The Gentlemans Shop, Executive Shaving, Shaving.ie, Traditional Shaving, etc.

The futur is cheaper at traditional shaving, and you get 10% off if you use the code bandb

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/traditionalshaving/_MER-90701001/268151/Futur-Safety-Razor-Chrome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/mal ... zor-Chrome</a><!-- m -->

huxley said:
The futur is cheaper at traditional shaving, and you get 10% off if you use the code bandb

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/traditionalshaving/_MER-90701001/268151/Futur-Safety-Razor-Chrome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/mal ... zor-Chrome</a><!-- m -->

Or use our own code. It's tsr.

As mentioned above use the code tsr and Matthew will knock 10% off i purchased this week a gold plated futur for £44.95 i do believe this will be the cheapest price apart from buying private on here. From placing order received in 2 days great service in my eyes the best price i've found with free delivery. If your undecided about this or a progress i have both now and can tell you the futur set on number 1 is still pretty aggressive ive had a couple of shaves and i dont think i'll be venturing above 2 much as for the progress its a bit cheaper but not by much and a lot milder on the lower settings.

press said:
As mentioned above use the code tsr and Matthew will knock 10% off i purchased this week a gold plated futur for £44.95 i do believe this will be the cheapest price apart from buying private on here. From placing order received in 2 days great service in my eyes the best price i've found.

Considering Mr B Ranger is in ɐılɐɹʇsn∀ - he'll not have to pay very annoying tax - so should get nearly 17% "discount" where the seller is VAT registered too... though in at least some cases it will be swallowed up by inflated postage prices :(

Yes. I have learned this purchase will not include VAT, and my budget is also helped with the kindly considered discount. Since I started DE shaving, perhaps 2007, I always liked the Futur's design, and considered the Progress as an adjustable...then I found the SLIM (great safetybar DE) & 3-piece comb Gillettes. I still do not have a Merkur, but a recently acquired Edwin Jagger 86 (Muhle head) has been a nice razor to get familiar with. Much different to the antique Gillettes I'm familiar with. It is this EJ86Muhle that has motivated me with the Futur acquistion due to perhaps the Progress (or CoonCatBob's) or (Mer's) variant similar to the EJ/SLIM.

I have read the Futur is aggressive, and works differently, and has difficulty beneath the nose, BUT I plan on not-saying-"no" (nor a pythonesque "ni") to the Futur and give it a go. The VISION perhaps would be fun to try, but by crikey is it pricey!

I want to like the Futur, I've got one that was sold, then a few months, and a few owners later I had it back.
It's a very nice looking piece of kit, but I can't shave with it, I think it's the one DE that I've given the longest time to impress me, but it never happened.

As I think this is an iconic piece of kit, I've decided to keep mine in the collection for now, it's one of the few "modern" DEs I have.

Max

I think the shave from this is very much comparable with a slant a very much wider blade gap than any other razor i have used the futur cant be compared to any gillette adjustable on any setting as they are mild, setting on my slim at No9 is nowhere near a No1 on the futur crank a progress up and this seems to be on the same lines as a futur.I cant understand people having trouble with this eg shaving under the nose etc you just need to adjust the blade angle as i said similar to the slant to reach right under the nostrils.The blade change snap on cap is straight forward enough to anyone with the sense that a razor blade will cut your finger they are sharp if you want to run your finger along the blade carry on. As for bulky and ugly far from it they are a great looking razor with plenty of heft.
Much of the vintage rubbish i had has ended up on ebay. I'm sticking with my Futur..Progress..Muehle 89 and a slim which i'm not to impressed with should get rid easy.No need for anything else.

Good posts, thanks fellas. Interesting to read your comments too "Press" regarding comparisons. Helpful to me as I love the SLIM and EJ86. All I have to decide upon is chrome or gold. Each time I decide, something happens and mind changes. :roll: How's the plating on both hold up with use and time? Does anyone here own one of each?

bushranger said:
Good posts, thanks fellas. Interesting to read your comments too "Press" regarding comparisons. Helpful to me as I love the SLIM and EJ86. All I have to decide upon is chrome or gold. Each time I decide, something happens and mind changes. :roll: How's the plating on both hold up with use and time? Does anyone here own one of each?
Over time the chrome will probably show wear a lot less then the gold.
The satin even less so, but you don't mention that one, so I presume you don't want that one.

I think longevity on modern plating isn't going to be as good as vintage, I don't see plating on a EJ/Merkur/etc.. last 50+ years.

So yeah, I'd get gold because I like the look of it, and I wouldn't use it daily :) (but in your case I'd get satin)

Max

I think longevity on modern plating isn't going to be as good as vintage, I don't see plating on a EJ/Merkur/etc.. last 50+ years.

What makes you think so? Has the process changed in the last 50 years, is the base material (i.e. what the plating is put on) more prone to damage?

Reason I ask is that when I see something being plated, it is submerged in a bath of a chrome solution. Did that change?

Just curious - I'm not even an amateur here.

/m

mrkiii said:

What makes you think so? Has the process changed in the last 50 years, is the base material (i.e. what the plating is put on) more prone to damage?

Reason I ask is that when I see something being plated, it is submerged in a bath of a chrome solution. Did that change?

Just curious - I'm not even an amateur here.

/m

Yes, the process has changed due to environmental laws, most plating processes used (and some still use some) nasty chemicals, this wasn't very good for the environment or it's employees, but who cares about the whales* or the dolphins* or cancer if you can get something nice and shiny :)

Most manufacturing processes have moved to a more environmentally friendly (and cheaper) plating process, the plating is usually thinner and less hard wearing. I'm in no way an expert in this, but it's well known that modern plating is not as good as the older ones. (even for other applications, i.e. motorbikes etc/cars..)

Some companies still do the proper plating, but only for industrial applications, since the cost associated with using & disposing of dolphin* killing chemicals is very high.

So flipper says so long! :) (and thanks for all the fish)

Max

*I've no idea if the chemicals are harmful to dolphins or whales specifically, this is just an example, I could have used panda bears or dodos.

p.s. I want a chrome plated dolphin in my swimming pool.

Back
Top Bottom