Merkur brushes?

antdad said:
jonboy said:
As my prevoius post though, is the 404 for a tenner the same one as quoted on the vulfix site advertised for circa £40?

No.

Jonboy, it's all a blur I'm sure but you you won't be the first or last to try and decipher the brush world and try and get a bargain. Truth is that 50% of the time you get exactly what you pay for, the other 40% you don't and then the remaining 10% you get great value, the 404 "mix" from Diamond Edge falls into the later.

Thanks for the confirmation, and you are right, it is becoming a bit of a blur. :)
How can they offer two products with what appears to be the same name with no distinct definition? I hear what you are saying in terms of you get what you pay for, but two brushes going by the same name but with a £30 difference is very strange?

Pig Cat said:
jonboy said:
Pig Cat said:
Have you checked out this thread Jonboy?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5931</a><!-- m -->

My suggestion would be to buy a Vulfix 404 for about a tenner. That would get you off to a great start. I would also PM Fido and ask him to reserve you one of his next brushes. From what I can tell it probably won't come in at more than £40 and may be the best brush you ever own.

Antdad beat you to that thread Pig Cat, but thank you though.

As my prevoius post though, is the 404 for a tenner the same one as quoted on the vulfix site advertised for circa £40?

I have read a few good things about Fido's brushes, I may well take you up on that advice.

Can sameone point me in the direction of a thread that explains the difference between the grades of badger and the loft etc please?

Sorry for the novice questions. :oops:

Don't worry about the questions. Ask away! We're all too polite here to tell you that you are stupid. ;)

If you follow this link: http://www.diamondedgeltd.com/acatalog/Progress_shaving_brushes_and_accessories.html#a760 you should find the 404 at the top of the page.

I'm sure someone will find you some info about hair grades and lofts. From what I've seen though the quality of the different hair varies considerably between each manufacturer. Fido is a good source of information (see his brush blog - link in his signature) and says that the Simpsons Chubby in Best is such good quality you shouldn't need to go for a higher grade. The Best Badger is generally one of the lower quality badger hairs so this shows that choosing a brush isn't that straightforward. Confused? I am! :?

Why is there no "Duncehat smilie" when I need one? :mrgreen: ;)

I have had a look at that site but is this the 404 that everyone raves about or it it the one on the Vulfix site with a much higher price tag?

Had to read your last paragraph 3 times and I have come to the conclusion that my answer is.... YES! I am confused! :lol: Finding this a very good insight though, dispite having lurked for a while!

Probably should change the thread title though! :mrgreen:

antdad said:
Now you are being a bit dense...reread the thread, 3 or 4 members have told you that is not the same brush.

OK I missed Damians and Hunnymonsters posts! The topic was moving a bit faster than I expected it to at that point!

Sorry chaps :oops:

Just add to the confusion try looking at badgerandhone.com as they are offering 15% off all stuff until sunday. Just use discount code JU96ZE4N and free delivery as well............. :?

missingskin said:
Just add to the confusion try looking at badgerandhone.com as they are offering 15% off all stuff until sunday. Just use discount code JU96ZE4N and free delivery as well............. :?

I will take a look at that, thank you.

Your user name does not exactly fill me with confidence as a newbie starting out with a DE though! I was going to turn the futur up to 1.5 tomorrow too! :mrgreen: ;)

I am quite suprised that no one here has any experience of Merk brushes, not knocking the advice so far, I am very grateful, it has been a very good insight. Maybe they are just over priced, hence no one buys them :?:

I am sure a Merkur brush will do a good job of making & applying lather. For the price i would say you will be more satisfied by following the good advice you have been given here.

fido's latest will be well worth the wait they may be unbeatable for quality vs price, definately for performance.

There is better than a half chance that you will have half a dozen brushes this time next year :lol:

fozz77 said:
I am sure a Merkur brush will do a good job of making & applying lather. For the price i would say you will be more satisfied by following the good advice you have been given here.

fido's latest will be well worth the wait they may be unbeatable for quality vs price, definately for performance.

My thoughts are it will look good in the bathroom but it does seem expensive to say I havent seen any reviews about it.

I will keep an eye out for Fido's brushes following this thead.

fozz77 said:
There is better than a half chance that you will have half a dozen brushes this time next year :lol:

I am inclined to agree with you! I should have stayed a lurker! :lol: Just found out I need to experiment with soap AND cream, god knows how many different brands of blade..... Has anyone found their perfect combination or is shaving a bit like serching for the Grail? :mrgreen:

jonboy said:
Has anyone found their perfect combination or is shaving a bit like serching for the Grail? :mrgreen:

Don't be silly – it’s nothing like the search for the Holy Grail… There's a chance that someone might actually find the bugger. :lol:

Seriously, it’s all about enjoying the all of the many permutations of products there are out there. ALL OF THEM.

It's all part of the fun, so enjoy the ride.

Lipsy

Lipsy said:
jonboy said:
Has anyone found their perfect combination or is shaving a bit like serching for the Grail? :mrgreen:

Don't be silly – it’s nothing like the search for the Holy Grail… There's a chance that someone might actually find the bugger. :lol:

Seriously, it’s all about enjoying the all of the many permutations of products there are out there. ALL OF THEM.

It's all part of the fun, so enjoy the ride.

Lipsy

Don't get too fixated on price/ makes etc, just listen to the guys on here and you will find what works for you.
My stuff:-
Brushes I have 5 with 2 on the way, the cheapest was 6 quid the dearest 40 something. You might consider getting a custom made brush a few makers on here and the prices are very competitive and you have something unique?
Razors I use range from a 1916 Gillette to a new Ikon Price from about £15 to £60.00 (with a few collectables not in use..... :) )
Soap Palmolive 49p stick to £25.00 GFT. (We also have a few artisan soap/cream makers on here as well?)

So just listen and try a few things out ...........enjoy the ride and don't break the bank......... :? For under £30.. you could get a brush and soap/cream that will in the long run be cheaper than the canned goo and give you a better shave.
Blades various pennies each.

missingskin said:
So just listen and try a few things out ...........enjoy the ride and don't break the bank......... :?
Blades various pennies each.

I don't intend to break the bank, but I can see that it could very easily be done! :D
From what I have read so far it is very much a case of "whatever work best for you".

Learnt a lot tonight! Thanks guys! :) G'night!

Jonboy,
Quick thought from one who has been at this just over a month, lurked researched chatted and asked questions. I found in the end a great way to get a feel and better understanding of all of this is to go through each of the subjects for eg brushes then read each of the many questions and answers, pages and pages of them, at random for example click on fido's blogs and read them gives a very good insight to things.
No need to read every thread and you can research razors, soaps, after shave, the list goes on. Up to you, you will spend money no doubt but the fun part is you will end up with more choices than one multi blade razor and goo. There is no rush to get the definitive answer on any one subject because there isn't one, however you will find certain common answers that give a good indication that it is a good idea to follow till you decide one way or the other.
Most of all though this is fun and it is only shaving at the end of the day, the end product for me is to have found that the time spent shaving is enjoyable and fun, with a great bunch of lads, some of whom will help you spend some of you're money, but on honest bits of kit. Just enjoy the journey.
Pete

There´s only two things you need to know, for now :lol:

1. Either you buy a nice allround brush (good with bowl lathering, soft soaps, face lathering and creams) - the 404 mixed brush for a tenner and then get some Palmolive or Arko soap sticks.

2. Or you buy a brush that´s good for bowl lathering and creams, why not a Simpson in best badger hair. Here´s a good source for how to bowl lathering cream or very soft soaps (like Henks soaps here on the board) + read the sticky about lathering:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekaDfTtOhRc[/youtube]
Only my two pennies though.

Back
Top Bottom