Merkur Blades

Stitch306 said:
I had a very similar experience with yellow 7 o'clocks. I couldn't read a forum without everyone banging on about how great they were so I bought a pack from connaught to try. Shave was pretty good but that afternoon I went to the gym and my face felt like I was sweating acid. Haven't touched em since.

I thought I was the only one!

The Merkur blades just tugged and tugged... I managed one shave prior to vowing never even to PIF them.

I found a pack of ten merkurs whilst mooching in the stash. I put one in the Gillette 58 & had a shave the next morning. It did not go too well. It performed like a blade that was one shave past its use.

I have had good Merkurs a couple of years ago. I bought a pack with the Vision & they were quite good. So I orderred 50 more. All five packs have been shockers in a Vision, Merkur HD, Flair tipped rocket, superspeed & Gillette 58. I have never tried one in an open comb & probably never will. I have even given some to friends & they say the same thing. Clearly a bad batch.

its good too hear they are working out for you Blyth.

This was the blade I used on my 1st DE shave, as I got a pack free with my razor. The shave was rubbish, but I put that down to my technique rather than the blade.

A few years down the line and I received another free blade with a recent razor purchase.
I popped it into my HD and went to work. Like other posters on this thread I found the blade to be nothing special. Certainly duller than my usual Feather blade, but not so dull that I felt like I was dragging the razor over my beard. Maybe comparable to a supermarket Wilkinsons Sword blade.

2 passes got me over the finish line with a little redness on my neck. I used to get some irritation when I started using the Feathers, so am not overly concerned with that.

I notice that on Connaught shaving they cost more than Feather blades, so on that basis I wont be buying any.

To conclude, I find the Merkur blade to be just OK. I am not one for rotating blades so will not be making the switch over to these.

UPDATE:

I popped the same blade into my Futur this morning for comparison.
It was BLUNT. Really had to pull the rasping razor through the tough hairs on my chin. I soldiered on for a painful 2nd pass. But I knew that I was doing damage.
Now I have a sore, blotchy neck. For a one shot blade (YMMV) these are poor value for money.

Back
Top Bottom