Merkur Blades

Guys - for the past two shaves I've used Merkur blades. The shave itself, whilst not spectacular was ok.

However now 3-4 hours later my face is on fire like I've rubbed battery acid on it. Nothing different about prep or after care, so I'm forced to conclude that it's something to do with the blade.

Anyone seen anything similar with a Merkur blade? (which I won't be using tomorrow - those 'orphan' blades can go in SWMBO's Lady G).

I have some left from a sample pack and haven't heard a good word said about them, this post really puts me off trying them.

I had a very similar experience with yellow 7 o'clocks. I couldn't read a forum without everyone banging on about how great they were so I bought a pack from connaught to try. Shave was pretty good but that afternoon I went to the gym and my face felt like I was sweating acid. Haven't touched em since.

can't say i got the burning reaction either

i did try corking the blades before first use which helped on the first shave but didn't really help the longevity of the blade life nor the comfort factor

not the best blade but not the worst

interestingly mantic has these as a good benchmark blade in his videos

I revisted these blades today for the first time in about 4 months. I was not impressed with them before & decided then they were not worth spending fun tickets on.

I did not get the burning sensation you mention HM. However, after a WTG, AGT, XTG i was in bad need of a touch up. I ran out of time after the patching up was finished, first cut in a while.

It amazes me that a company that makes great razors puts their name to these. I am sure they work well for some, not for me. Im not going to get into the price......

I did not think the Merkurs were too bad. What they lose points for in my opinion is firstly their cost and secondly their restricted availability.

Why buy Merkurs when there are better, cheaper blades which are easier to get a hold of?

I was itching to try them. When I did..they shaved, not too bad, but not too good and afterwards, it was sore...ish.
I have tried quite a few now and I can honestly say, if it wasnt for feathers, I would go back to my disposable shaver.
I use a FATBOY :)

dredge3 said:
I was itching to try them. When I did..they shaved, not too bad, but not too good and afterwards, it was sore...ish.
I have tried quite a few now and I can honestly say, if it wasnt for feathers, I would go back to my disposable shaver.

dredge, Have you had the chance to try Gillette Super Thins?

fozz77 said:
dredge3 said:

dredge, Have you had the chance to try Gillette Super Thins?

Not yet ;)

I feel bound to say, gentlemen, that I am really getting into the Merkur blades. (See my shave of the day updates). Good results and smooth finishes!

With an HD they work well for me...we're each of us different, after all...none of the Battery Acid stuff or post-shave tenderness mentioned by others. I've used various creams and ASs but not yet tried them with soaps.

Similarly, I have only used them with the beefy HD; it may be worth using a much lighter razor like a Lord or a Tech to see if there are any cause /effect changes.

In any event, you all now know where to send your unwanted, new Merkur blades! :lol:

I agree with most of the comments made about merkur blades they are not as good as there razors, If your going to pay that price your better off with 7o'clock platinum or feathers

Back
Top Bottom