men-u pure bristle

Just ordered my second of these brushes direct from their website.

I really like this brush, and for £8.75 you can't go wrong.

It's predecessor was in it's second year when unfortunately it had a close encounter with one of my 9 year old twins (don't know which one, just as well) and a pair of scissors.

I thought it looked a little uneven. Then when I tried to face lather........scratchy :eek:

When I first started brush/cream/soap shaving this was my brush.

I remember it well because I bought this brush, boots freshwood soap, and a Wilkinson Sword classic. I tried DE shaving with that for a few months then gave up was too painful. I now realise I was just un-educated on how to DE shave.

I went back to M3 shaving but always kept the brush. That Men-u brush lasted me for years and I still have it as a travel/back up brush.

I recently bought a Vulfix 404 mixed Badger/Bristle which is in the same price margin as this men-u one however if synthetic is what suits your skin then stick with the Men-u brush. They are great value for money.

Regardless................. it's always good getting new stuff ;)

I've had and used this brush. Wasn't bad, but shed way too many hairs for my liking - all of which ended up on my face. I bought it having read somewhere that bristle brushes worked better on soaps than badgers: not true.

Naked Ape said:
I bought it having read somewhere that bristle brushes worked better on soaps than badgers: not true.

Natural bristle does work better on soap cos it has more backbone, the Men-u is a synthetic bristle.

One of the best soap brushes I have is the Vulfix 404 Badger/Bristle mix.

Andy, I believe the men-u pure bristle is pure bristle, not synthetic (that's the men-u Premier brush). As for bristle brushes working better, my soft 'n' springy Vulfix pure badger has had very little problem in picking up enough soap for a decent lather. Let me put it another way, it's better at generating a good quality lather than my Omega boar, which has more backbone than a T-Rex.

Ah apologies. Pure bristle = £7.99, Synthetic = £40.00.

My brain wasn't in gear there ;)

Also I didn't mean to push my opinion onto others, Shaving is a fickle game and what does it for one man doesn't for others.

Chaps I have the Men-U Bristle brush. I cannot get it to hold much lather, is this the norm with boar brushes? I fancy the Vulvix 404 that so many of you enjoy. I like the 'scrubbyness' of the boar, but am struggling with the lack of lather for multi-passes. Is the 404 a good compromise?

IMO the Men-u is an entry level brush. The 404 holds the water that a badger does but stays stiff like a boar. It genuinely feels like a brush that costs 3 times as much.

It does take a bit of experimenting when moving from one type of brush to another.

andyjreid said:
Shaving is a fickle game and what does it for one man doesn't for others.

Ain't that the truth, Andy. Out of interest, have you used the men-u shaving creme that came with the brush? I used it with my badger and got rubbish results.

I did use the men-u shave cream and for all their boasts about how "extra concentrated" it is I found it to be a very poor cream. I needed a lot more product than they recommended and I found it to be an inferior shave to the other product I was using at the time which was Boots soap bowl. I mean it's always nice to get something for free but I'm sure I either binned it or PIF to a friend of mine.

Im not saying that the men-u products are all bad or that the brush is really bad. Ive used other men-u products (face wash etc) and found them to be very good.

For most people when they start out, and haven't found websites like this, most of the product you find to start with is supermarket or chemist based and from all the brushes available in places like Boots the men-u brush is probably the best there is. Mine lasted me years and, as previously stated, will probably remain to be a back up brush of sorts. I just feel that for a similar price, and using online stores, other slightly better options are available. Not that I'd advise getting the men-u premier (unless they sent me one for free I wouldn't spend that much blindly on a "revolutionary type of shaving brush"). Have you seen the "demonstration" video kicking about of the men-u premier? It is laughable.

Back on to the topic of the cream though. Price point is about £9.50 for 100ml which, if used as men-u say it sould be, will give you 165 shaves. Sounds great to some but I reckon you could push that out of any £9.50 worth of product (excluding super expensive soaps or creams) Im sure you'd get that out of a great big sexy ceramic tub of Tabac soap. The terminology used by men-u in regard to the cream seems, to me, to be aimed at cartridge shavers.

For me, the worrying thing they say is that the "cream breaks down upon contact with water". Shave with a dry face? No water at all?

Of course they do recommend that for best results with the cream you should always use their premier brush ;)

I didn't mean to turn this into a rant, I just think that we, as educated shavers, can see where men-u (and some other modern companies), take advantage of those who are happy to use a can of foam and M3, and bombard them with advertising and in some cases, false hopes with magical products.

Nice work with the 404 mix kit-kat boy ;)

i had both the bristle and synthetic versions of these brushes, the bristle i sold as part of a starter kit and i still have the synthetic.

the bristle is a pretty poor brush considering you can get the 404 mix for the same dosh, it's not even a good bristle brush.
i found the handle particularly cheap, it's hollow and has no weight to it and the knot was below average quality.
the synthetic is an alternative for anyone who's animal friendly though.
same handle but doesn't feel as bad as the knot is lighter on this brush so it feels more balanced.
on closer inspection you'll notice the hair is crinkle cut, probably to give more hair-like properties to the plastic shafts.
it's better than the Vulfix nylon which is utter plop and it's the only thing i've thrown in the bin after one use

so if you want to try a bristle brush there are way better ones to get

Back
Top Bottom