May 2020 Acquisitions

ATT SE1 Calypso
Nice haul - I found the Calypso single to be excellent - if you have taken to the Hawk - then you ought to enjoy this even more - every bit as good as the Calypso double that has occupied my attention recently - I found the Schick Proline worked best in the SE1 - some prefer Feathers or Kai - see what you think - enjoy - cheers - I.

Nice haul - I found the Calypso single to be excellent - if you have taken to the Hawk - then you ought to enjoy this even more - every bit as good as the Calypso double that has occupied my attention recently - I found the Schick Proline worked best in the SE1 - some prefer Feathers or Kai - see what you think - enjoy - cheers - I.
Thanks Iain. I'm also a big fan of the Schick Proline. I've enjoyed using some aluminium razors lately (Hawk V2 and RR Lupo) and your shaves with the Calypso M1 sounded great so you inadvertently inspired me to buy one from @MartinBdc which is now on its way from Bulgaria. I'm looking forward to giving that a try as well.

All the money I've saved during lockdown I've somehow managed to spend on shaving paraphernalia!

IMG_20200506_124844.jpg
Having been inspired by some recent menthol inspired SOTD on here and on YouTube, I thought I'd go all in with a full Proraso Menthol and Eucalyptus line up.
My first soaps were Proraso, and due to their performance and ease of use, I used them to successfully lure /enable colleagues into the world of traditional shaving. So much so I've never seen them since! So I wanted to revisit Proraso products, looking forward to using them on one of these beautiful, warm and sunny days.
Best wishes to all and stay safe everyone.

Rooney Finest 1/2
c67k3rQ.jpg
hz29cny.jpg
HMnFxhV.jpg
1NONn1w.jpg

IMG_20200507_105402.jpgIMG_20200507_105338.jpgIMG_20200507_105315.jpgIMG_20200507_105255.jpg
Yesterday received this Gillette Adjustable Code H-1. Off top of my head is this 1962?
Came in excellent condition, the photo's are just before I cleaned it and wiped down with IPA.
Shaved last night with it and very surprised at its performance. Very, very smooth (nearly up there with Rockwell 6c), efficient and comfortable. I prefer my 2 vintage Gillette TTO's as opposed to my Tech, perhaps they suit my technique more. Paired with a Gillette SB blade so I gave it the best chance to impress. Think I've satisfied my recent binge on vintage razors and feel particularly attached to the Super Speed, Star 100 and this adjustable.
So, I'm gonna try and put the handbrake on my itchy "Purchasing finger" for a month or two! You heard it here first! Wonder how many hours that will last!
Stay safe and best wishes to all.

It's too early to say. The fit and finish of the two is equally good, and both are very elegant in design. The Vector is obviously a bit slimmer, which makes it very agile, but the general is by no means a chunky beast (I'm looking at you, Mongoose) and I had no problems shaving the tricky area under my nose on my first use of the General. The fact the General is a little bit beefier might even be an advantage, in that it could stand up better than the Vector to accidental damage.
The General seemed very smooth and efficient with a fresh Schick Proline blade, but the shave wasn't quite as comforable and easy as with the Vector, or my ATT SE1. However, that's to be expected with a new razor and it might well equal the Vector after a while, or possibly even perform better, although that would take some doing.

Second shave yesterday evening with the General was definitely better than the first. It was more comfortable, and the results were close or maybe even equal to those from the Vector. Possibly I got a better angle, or the Proline blade settled down a bit. Either way I was very encouraged and look forward to continuing to build up y experience with this razor.

Back
Top Bottom