Martin De Candre

Mine too was a gift from my better half, otherwise I would share the love. Plus it's not something that you'd want to go hacking at - could get messy.

Just to add some balance to the MdC love-in I wanted to point out a slight negative, at least for me. I've had my third shave today and it continues to delight - great lather, loves water, great slickness and cushion and my neck which has been a bit rough of late never looked better. The one downside for me is the scent - which for most I'd imagine would be a plus. But it a scent (lavendar and mint) that I strangely associate with getting a cast on my foot when I broke it a few year ago playing soccer. It was the plaster of paris that had this very same scent which is pleasant but makes me think of that hospital. This is somewhat similar to having a favourite piece of music and marketers ruining it by having you think of their product everytime you hear it, think Cadbury Flake or Tuc crackers.
This is a minor quibble and one that just afflicts me and its says something about this fine soap that I have had to think hard to try to say something uncomplimentary.

I know what you mean there, you don't want to say it's is perfect in every way but the gist is that it is a darn fine soap if all you have to complain or pick fault in is the scent. Shame it is so expensive to ship over here.

Soccer? is that similar to football? :D
What is the difference with this soap shipped here as opposed to shipped in France?

I meant to write 'indoor soccer' but made a faux pas,
As for shipping, it is hefty enough, the package weighed .85kg and the box was big enough to fit a small football inside!

Audiolab said:
Seems to be a disproportionally large amount to ship here. From Fidos post it is about £19 to ship here where it is €6 to ship in France.

I seem to recall that the total cost, shipped for the 170g jar was £43.
Compared with the Art of Shaving Sandalwood 95g at £32 exc shipping, it's a steal.

I am waiting for the Dr Harris Rose cream, I will drop some hints for future reference to SWMBO. Sounds like overal it is not a bad price when you break it down, just paying £43 for a tub of soap...well its madness....thats like paying £100 for a brush......

OK already paid that much for a brush so perhaps I will order some later when cash flow allows.

It's a case of quality over quantity.

Spending money on shipping is frustrating and doesn't improve the quality. You could nearly take a Ryanair flight to Paris and pick one up in Planete Rasage, have a coffee and a croissant on the Champs Elysee, fill you suitcase with wine and head home - then you would feel you got good value. :D

Thanks I was just having fun but there is a grain of truth there somewhere. It seems we all have a set limit as to how much we are will to pay for a shaving item, be it a brush (<£100) or a soap or cream(<£20) and it doesn't always relate to how deep your pockets are.
Indeed, sometimes it is those with deeper pockets who are most reluctant to splurge.
But it seems to me that this hobby involves a trickle of these set priced purchases. But I think now and again it is worthwhile to build a dam to hold back the trickle for a while and then splurge on something a bit more expensive. It could be the one soap you have been looking for.
BTW, my name is Martin De Candre :D

Back
Top Bottom