Martin De Candre

So there I was just about to write about how I had caved and ordered the highly regarded, yet controversially priced, heavenly-scented artisan creation that is Martin De Candre shaving soap when the doorbell rang and the postman delivered it. Talk about a coincidence.
So this note was going to be about the anticipation of getting the soap and how sometimes the looking forward can sometimes turn out to be the best part, especially if the thing you were looking forward to disappoints. As if to prove a point , I am reluctant to open it up straight away and put it to the test lest it is indeed only as good as Tabac, which would be very good indeed, or what if, god forbid, as disappointing as Cade which I so wanted to like but despite numerous attempts cannot get it to perform like my favourites.
Knowing that Fido is such a Cade advocate and his high-praise for MDC, should I be worried? Are they alike - Cade and MdC - I can only hope not. More like Mitchell's Woolfat I hope with it double-creamy lather and moisturising after-effects.
Well, the proof is in the pudding and the only way to find out is to get that jar open and start swirling...

I see where you're coming from Rev-o but I can't PIF samples of the holy-grail! :)
Plus I am in France which was partly the reason for paying the king's ransom to the French here to avoid the extortionist shipping charges. Still 6e to move it an inch on the map within France! I can report however that MDC, partly out of guilt I suspect but apparently cause it is my first order with them, they have included a sample of shampoo(15ml). Could this be the tipping point for those on the fence about ordering this quality of life enhancing calorie-free French cake? Go on, you know you want to.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I have been making some fine lather with Cade recently. But MdeC is very different. But we all have different tastes so come on Deb,
get cracking and let us have your thoughts.

So I reached for my trusty Kent BK4 and unscrewed the cap from this quite plain looking jar. I was expecting an explosion of scents to overcome me but was suprised that it was not so strong. I started swirling the brush on the wettened soap and loaded it up until it dragged. I thought I didn't have enough but with a few additions of water the lather sprung to life in the bowl and revealed itself in all its glory. A pleasant botanical and natural scent that transports you to from the tiled-surronds to a rolling meadow or such like. Ah well, back to the task at hand, the passes were great, but I had been using Taylor Rose cream for the last few days and part of the pleasure was getting back to soap. Then I started 'stretching the mix' (a la methodist) around my face by hand before I realised I was heading for BBS. And I got there comfortably.
All in all, a great soap, perhaps a first among equals in a class that includes Tabac, MWF and Dr Harris. But this is the first time out, I need to give it a week and see if I am begging for something different like I was after overusing Taylors cream.

Just had a brilliant shave. I'd throw away the rest. But it would be such a waste and familiarity might just breed contempt. The scent alone makes it a class apart. Who needs superlather? This has it. I'll probably be long gone before it gets used up.

Yeah, France - a land known for great wine, cheese and bread ...and shaving soap! They better not beat Ireland in the rugby today or the love affair will end!

Fido: at £40 and seemingly very long lasting may I suggest that you scoop a few teaspoons out at £5 a throw, give us all a chance to try the stuff and recoup a bit (maybe all!) of the outlay?

Caring, sharing etc. Life's short, soaps are hard. Greater good and all that. Come on lad! You can't take it with you.

Rev-O said:
Fido: at £40 and seemingly very long lasting may I suggest that you scoop a few teaspoons out at £5 a throw, give us all a chance to try the stuff and recoup a bit (maybe all!) of the outlay?

Caring, sharing etc. Life's short, soaps are hard. Greater good and all that. Come on lad! You can't take it with you.

Sounds like a plan! :D

As others can testify, I'm quite a generous sort. But I don't intend to mutilate my M de C which was a gift from my Mrs. It's a very hard soap tightly packed within a glass jar and it would make a complete mess of it. I'd happily give some away if it was feasible.

Back
Top Bottom