Martin de Candre is it all that

Mike Smart

Supporter
Supporter
As the title suggests lads is this soap all it’s cracked up to be ?

Don’t get me wrong i have no doubt that it’s a very good top of the class soap but is it better than B&M, A&E, OSP, Zingari Man etc etc etc.
i don’t mind paying £45 ish pounds of my hard earned money but i just can’t get my head around how good can it actually be,
How much better is it than any other brand we all use ?

It's a very nice soap. Nice natural scents and lasts forever. Is it better than those you've listed? Debatable as soap choices are very personal. What I will say is that I don't think you'll be disappointed with it. It may be worth you getting some samples from Shavedash to get an idea of your preferred scent before you commit to a purchase.
Good shout i might just do that
I just can’t get my head around it being over double the price of any other soap.
I haven’t heard of shavedash so thanks for the heads up

Another one here who will happily say 'worth every penny of the outlay'

Probably the best soap I have come across on all aspects. Add to that a little goes a very long way and it actually starts to look economical value. If anything you could probably die of boredom before you've even made a dent in the top. One jar would last a very long time if used daily and in my case a lifetime then.

Superb stuff and a must experience

As the title suggests lads is this soap all it’s cracked up to be ?

Don’t get me wrong i have no doubt that it’s a very good top of the class soap but is it better than B&M, A&E, OSP, Zingari Man etc etc etc.
i don’t mind paying £45 ish pounds of my hard earned money but i just can’t get my head around how good can it actually be,
How much better is it than any other brand we all use ?

There have been a few threads on how far a single tub of MdC goes, and even if the up front cost is a lot, a single jar if finished per shave works out less than some other artisan soap makers.

I've never used it myself, but heard it is a good soap.

IMO, value is largely dependent on how much a certain a product is used. For example there is better value from a soap that costs £45 used daily, opposed to a lot of soaps costing over £60 which are never used.

Like with what Chris said, I'd recommend getting a sample of it from Shave Dash to see if it works out for you.

Good shout i might just do that
I just can’t get my head around it being over double the price of any other soap.
I haven’t heard of shavedash so thanks for the heads up

You are getting 200grams so it's a bigger size than most soaps, the soap as Chris has already said is extremely long lasting, a little goes a long way and it is a top performing soap with natural scents.
In my opinion this soap may seem expensive on the face of it but in fact it works out to be middle of the road priced soap because of how much you get and for how long it will take you to finish a tub of it.
In short, it's all that and some more!!!

Paul.

Last edited:
Mdc is an excellent soap there may be others out there that are slightly better maybe more nourishing and a little slicker but there is only so much slickness you need and post shave is pretty good on Mdc anyway, think it’s the scents that make them as others have said very natural and original, if I’m correct I think I read they source most of their essential oils from their own botanical garden and so are supposed to be of high quality a family business that’s been going for years. Are they worth it ? If you think other artisan soaps are worth the money you likely will this it’s very long lasting

Mdc is an excellent soap there may be others out there that are slightly better maybe more nourishing and a little slicker but there is only so much slickness you need and post shave is pretty good on Mdc anyway, think it’s the scents that make them as others have said very natural and original, if I’m correct I think I read they source most of their essential oils from their own botanical garden and so are supposed to be of high quality a family business that’s been going for years. Are they worth it ? If you think other artisan soaps are worth the money you likely will this it’s very long lasting
Oh just to add I’ve tried them all other than vetiver favourites are
1st Rose
2nd Natural
3rd Agrumes

Last edited:
I've yet to use MDC soaps, largely because of the high price.
The thing that puzzles me is how the rose scented soap is a fiver more than some others?
It is possibly due to their use of natural rose oil ...
Producing rose oil (or attar) is traditionally steam distilled and takes literally hundreds of thousands of petals to extract, say, a quart of oil. While my figures might be a bit skew (Wikipedia says 1:3000, but doesn't say whether that's volume or weight ... another source says 500 lbs of petals to produce one ounce of oil, so 16x500 gives us a 1:8000 ratio), you get the picture.

Back
Top Bottom