March 2021 Acquisitions

Blank backs did indeed come in both sizes - squat and regular. The so-called 'Brilliant' set (in a nickel case) and the 'Popular' set both had blank backs. I've also got a revised comb (post-1930 US) with a blank back, again, full height rather than squat.
@pjgh My set's obviously a mongrel Paul - the box says Made in UK. I take it from your post that there's no huge value attached to a blank Ever-Ready then :unsure: Back to buying TFS soap rather than MDC it is then:LOL:

@pjgh My set's obviously a mongrel Paul - the box says Made in UK. I take it from your post that there's no huge value attached to a blank Ever-Ready then :unsure: Back to buying TFS soap rather than MDC it is then:LOL:
Given the length of production from 1912 through to the 1950s, there have been a good few variants. We have both USA and UK made razors, they came in two combs, the wide comb and the rounded comb (post-1930 US only) and they came with two heights of head, one "regular" and a squat model. Earlier models got a curved cap, later (post-1919?) got a flat top cap. The backs usually said "Ever-Ready" if American of "Made in England" if British (although I think one factory was indeed over the border in Scotland) < ping @Fergiebilly

Value is pretty much of a muchness for 1912s. Anything from a fiver to fifty quid, depending upon the model, case and condition. It's the Sun Ray model that catches the big money. That, and the Steamline < although not a 1912 model. The original Damaskeene model (the actual 1912) does command a little more. If it doesn't say "Use Damaskeene Blades" on the baseplate, it's technically a "1919" but we call them 1912s nevertheless, in reference to the original patent date of the Damaskeene. Confused?

To answer you directly, yes, it's a mongrel ... but loveable, nevertheless.

Yours is a post-1930 model. Look at the comb and see the corners are rounded. Compare that to pictures of other 1912s. You have the later model there. The British 1912 will have the wider comb and be right at home in that box.

Last edited:
Given the length of production from 1912 through to the 1950s, there have been a good few variants. We have both USA and UK made razors, they came in two combs, the wide comb and the rounded comb (post-1930 US only) and they came with two heights of head, one "regular" and a squat model. Earlier models got a curved cap, later (post-1919?) got a flat top cap. The backs usually said "Ever-Ready" if American of "Made in England" if British (although I think one factory was indeed over the border in Scotland) < ping @Fergiebilly

Value is pretty much of a muchness for 1912s. Anything from a fiver to fifty quid, depending upon the model, case and condition. It's the Sun Ray model that catches the big money. That, and the Steamline < although not a 1912 model. The original Damaskeene model (the actual 1912) does command a little more. If it doesn't say "Use Damaskeene Blades" on the baseplate, it's technically a "1919" but we call them 1912s nevertheless, in reference to the original patent date of the Damaskeene. Confused?

Yours is a post-1930 model. Look at the comb and see the corners are rounded. Compare that to pictures of other 1912s. You have the later model there. The British 1912 will have the wider comb and be right at home in that box.
Thanks for the info. I do have a UK model as well, but it's a bit more used so I'll probably keep the shiny US one in there until I decide to actually give it a run out (y)

A Tibam brass Aristocrat razor handle
C1AQTjg.jpg

Cant See Nout on My Old Friend it..I Found Ever Ready Razor Products Ltd. factory by the Secretary of State for Scotland..But it Looks as if it was Opened Down in England.. :cool:

Billy

Cant See Nout on My Old Friend it..I Found Ever Ready Razor Products Ltd. factory by the Secretary of State for Scotland..But it Looks as if it was Opened Down in England.. :cool:

Billy
No worries ... I just had it at the back of my mind that you'd shown pictures before of the Ever Ready factory ... in Scotland. Making it kinda ironic that they say "Made in England" on the back. I suppose it could have been Dave. @Dave-the-rave

There is this: https://movingimage.nls.uk/film/5409 ... but doesn't actually say where the factory is, just that the Secretary of State for Scotland visited. 1958, so looks like it was razor blades only. Yeah! Most searches are clouded out by the British Electrial Ever Ready Company (the batteries people) who were unrelated ...

... but did collaborate! Let's go off-piste :D

ACtC-3dbf7qJXYSYoORkWUWYhH6l5XE6QgDgw2Q4Jg8vzY7VZ07dJWHLYWZjphDT2QKhGwXNVurTOI9LjJW-75u4-G86HvpNt5N9shCgo4bdu7fo9qRwD11qvHzXaYpxbiqPEmlalukjrtIwwxdx6OWwe6rmJg=w1200

Ever Ready and Ever-Ready ... torch and razor.

Years later (2010, was it?) the American Safety Razor Corporation finally go bust and is picked up by Energizer, who incidentally also own ... the British Electrical Ever Ready Company. Ever-Ready and Ever Ready back together after all those years.

Last edited:
No worries ... I just had it at the back of my mind that you'd shown pictures before of the Ever Ready factory ... in Scotland. Making it kinda ironic that they say "Made in England" on the back. I suppose it could have been Dave. @Dave-the-rave

There is this: https://movingimage.nls.uk/film/5409 ... but doesn't actually say where the factory is, just that the Secretary of State for Scotland visited. 1958, so looks like it was razor blades only. Yeah! Most searches are clouded out by the British Electrial Ever Ready Company (the batteries people) who were unrelated ...

... but did collaborate! Let's go off-piste :D

ACtC-3dbf7qJXYSYoORkWUWYhH6l5XE6QgDgw2Q4Jg8vzY7VZ07dJWHLYWZjphDT2QKhGwXNVurTOI9LjJW-75u4-G86HvpNt5N9shCgo4bdu7fo9qRwD11qvHzXaYpxbiqPEmlalukjrtIwwxdx6OWwe6rmJg=w1200

Ever Ready and Ever-Ready ... torch and razor.

Years later (2010, was it?) the American Safety Razor Corporation finally go bust and is picked up by Energizer, who incidentally also own ... the British Electrical Ever Ready Company. Ever-Ready and Ever Ready back together after all those years.

That looks like a Dalek's S&M toy.

Back
Top Bottom