Mac on a budget

My PC seems to be getting on a bit now and I was wondering about defecting over to the Mac. I know they are generally more expensive than PCs but I was wondering if there is a way of getting a decent machine either new or s/h without breaking the bank. :?

I believe a Mac mini (the white cube) costs under 500 EUR and can be connected to some ok hardware you might still have like a screen, keyboard, ...
You won't get the full 'Mac experience', but you will be able to enjoy OSX and other great software.

Good luck.

I think you will find it difficult to find a way of getting much off the standard Mac prices.

I switched to Apple about three years ago because I was uncomfortable with being dependent on a local computer guru. My key factor was having an Apple Store in Southampton which I can visit with ease. I have an iMac and two laptops and have had no problems at all. Compared with my old PCs they are incredibly reliable. Whenever I have needed any help I call in to the Apple store and there is always someone available to assist. The Apple back up through the internet forums is great too. On the odd occasion I have called Apple for help by telephone, the response has been excellent.

I am a very happy Apple fan.

But Apple kit seems more expensive than comparable PCs. But there are different viewpoints on this:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9023959/Mac_vs._PC_cost_analysis_How_does_it_all_add_up_" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... ll_add_up_</a><!-- m -->

I switched to Apple a few years ago. While there is not the same volume of software compared to PC's what they do have is excellent and sufficient for my needs. The extra cost compared to a PC is more than worth while. I think by now, I would have looked at getting a new PC again. Also, I noticed that the operating system, which apple have a newer one out to the system I have, is much, much less than a windows Operating system. You can still get office as well, which is slightly less for a mac.

Sometimes mac have refubished products which are slightly cheaper.
http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=OTY2ODY3Nw

The official Mac refurbs are good - full guarantee and comes from the manufacturer but lots of money off.

That option, combined with an AppleCare extended warranty (three years' worth, which I got cheap on ebay) gives you some some savings and total peace of mind.

Not sure you'll need the AppleCare but it makes sense. These things are VERY well made: 18 months ago I moved house and threw away four macs (two old iMacs and two old PowerBooks). They were 8-15 years old and too slow/small for modern applications but it t broke my heart to chuck them as they were sound and working (both hard- and soft-ware were fine). No market for 10 year old Macs so off to the tip they went. But the point is that they will become obsolete before they crash and burn: they are well-designed, well-built and a joy to use.

(Expecting grumpy rants from PC users complaining about price / interface / compatibility; ignore them: they all wish they had a Mac.)

I'm fairly certain they do a discount (10 or 20%, I think) for students. If you have a friend or relative who is studying...

It depends what you want to use it for PC.Mac's generally have a better reputation for photo editing but I have seen some interesting tests and conclusions which debunk this fact.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-9320-9876-9881" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_ ... -9876-9881</a><!-- m -->
I was looking at Macbooks last year and the display review put me off, the reflections were just too much for me.
Contrary to the link from Fido (which is dated three years ago)I think Dell offer a superior machine for the money plus you also have to consider Windows 7 is in use now.It is worth searching for some more updated reviews concerning the OS differences and draw your own conclusion.I prefer a two button mouse and a scrollwheel :p
In general mac users will tell you to get a mac and windows users will tell you the opposite, the old BSOD argument against windows doesn't really stand up any more.I have seen both mac's and PC's have hardware failure and crash,If your disk drive goes without a back up then your data is lost no matter what platform.

Personally, I'd stick with a PC. The advantages of using Mac over a PC seem to be getting less and less, and I'm finding (via my work) that even the graphic design types seem to be defecting to PC.

Having said that, Macs are beautifully designed, inside and out. Almost like looking at a piece of jewellery.

Ian

Boab said:
I prefer a two button mouse and a scrollwheel :p

I use a two button-mouse with a scrollwheel on my Mac. £10 from Maplin.

Windows 7 might be better (?) but OS X is just nice to use and the hardware is so well made.

Thanks for the advice guys. One of the things that really gets mine and (especially) Mrs Pig Cat's goat is that our PC has moments when it just can't decide what it wants to do. It pauses for ages then decides it wants to close something down. You then make the mistake of clicking on another program and that starts trying to open slowing things up even more.

Now is this just because I have a slow computer and all I need is a newer one?? Here are the specs as printed on the box:

3200+ (2.0Ghz) AMD Atholn 64
1GB DDR
240GB (2x 120GB) Hard Drive
ATI RADEON 9600 256MB video memory

I am expecting now to hear lots of guffaws as everyone here in the know sees that my PC is a crock of shite. It is about seven years old, so if it is indeed the specs that let it down, is it worth getting it upgraded, or would it be better to change it entirely? Sorry that I didn't provide this info earlier by the way.

I did however go in to Bury's newest and only Mac shop this afternoon to take a quick look. They are rather lovely and elegant. The chappy showed me how he could open hundreds of screens at once and it would still work. He also showed me how it could turn on and off really quickly, another bonus point. He suggested the iMac 21" at £969 and I could add Office 2008 for a further £109. He said that I could trade in my old PC for £100 which was pretty good.

Anyway, more thoughts please gentlemen... :D

OK - another key factor for me was the space needed on desktop and below it (no tower) Mine is on a tiny desk tucked in a corner.
DSC_2009.jpg
DSC_2011.jpg

Back
Top Bottom