Lord L6 DE Razor

I purchased the Lord L6 on a whim. What a wonderful shaver, even the lightweight aluminium handle seems to just work with this razor.

With its Merkur type head design, I found it to be a medium efficient shaver, smooth and comfortable. The blade aligns spot on, the chrome finish, whilst not great is certainly no worse than Merkur's.

The love for this razor is justly deserved; paired with a Lord Asco Orange blade and a Arko shaving stick it illustrates beautifully you do not need to spend big to get a wonderful luxurious shave. The Lord L6 now has a well deserved place in my razor rotation.

Today, if I was recommending kit to a new shaver, I would say purchase a Lord L6, a selection of Lord blades, a stick of Arko and Derby shaving soap and any Omega boar brush that takes your fancy or a Simpson Trafalgar synthetic brush and enjoy wonderful, luxuriant shaves for not very much.

The razor cost me less than £5 delivered from La Barberia! my best purchase so far in 2021.

4ADFE0D1-9BBE-4E89-BD89-3315EC116F31_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
I had an L5 and sold it. Before I sound too harsh I will add that perhaps their manufacturing stacking tolerances came into play, but mine shaved more aggressive than a Tech which was fine for my cheeks & neck, however it was a tad too much for around my mouth & chin and I had to be as careful as when using an OC there. I never tried an L6 as I don't like "scallops" on a blade guard. Too me at least they are not as smooth as a straight safety bar a la the genuine Tech. Of course, my opinion and a pocketful of change will get you a cup of coffee. :whistle:

I had an L5 and sold it. Before I sound too harsh I will add that perhaps their manufacturing stacking tolerances came into play, but mine shaved more aggressive than a Tech which was fine for my cheeks & neck, however it was a tad too much for around my mouth & chin and I had to be as careful as when using an OC there. I never tried an L6 as I don't like "scallops" on a blade guard. Too me at least they are not as smooth as a straight safety bar a la the genuine Tech. Of course, my opinion and a pocketful of change will get you a cup of coffee. :whistle:

I've got a feeling the L5 might be the same or similar head as the Indian market Gillette Tech, the 7 O'clock Sterling.
I bought one, used it once, found it incredibly aggressive and put it away. Once was more than enough!

It was my musing over the L5 that prompted me to weight it out and compare to the Sterling @donnie_arko ... and other Techs.

You can see that both cap and plate are more substantial than the current Sterling and more akin to the first generation of what became the Sterling (see a few lines up for the G1000).

That I hear it shaves aggressively makes me happy, so thanks @Bogeyman. When I finally get round to a straight run through my Lord blade collection, I intend to do so with the Lord L5. I'd discounted buying in an L6 as I've used many cheapo Merkur/Muhle clones and found them wanting, but since @Missoni has found it to be very agreeable, I think I'll buy one. Cheers!

It was my musing over the L5 that prompted me to weight it out and compare to the Sterling @donnie_arko ... and other Techs.

You can see that both cap and plate are more substantial than the current Sterling and more akin to the first generation of what became the Sterling (see a few lines up for the G1000).

That I hear it shaves aggressively makes me happy, so thanks @Bogeyman. When I finally get round to a straight run through my Lord blade collection, I intend to do so with the Lord L5. I'd discounted buying in an L6 as I've used many cheapo Merkur/Muhle clones and found them wanting, but since @Missoni has found it to be very agreeable, I think I'll buy one. Cheers!

Paul, have you tried the Yaqi DOC? I find it works well with Lord blades. Quite a cheap head if bought direct from China.

It looks a little scary but it's actually a very mild shaver, a touch more efficient than my Ball End Tech. Produces a smooth and comfortable shave.

+1 I also find the Yaqi DOC a real standout, I travelled through many of Yaqi's/Maggard/Razorock/Baili heads; the only ones that were not consigned to storage, were the Yaqi DOC, Razorock Slant (Merkur clone - old version), Maggard Slant (great shave but a pain to align, makes an old Fatip OC look like it has exacting tolerances) and another Maggard head who's name escapes me, but is a more aggressive clone of an R89 head but witha a tad more blade chatter.

I've got a feeling the L5 might be the same or similar head as the Indian market Gillette Tech, the 7 O'clock Sterling.
I bought one, used it once, found it incredibly aggressive and put it away. Once was more than enough!
really? im surprised you found it aggressive as i read a bit about this razor on b&B forum a few months ago and like others have said its suppose to be about thesame ball park as a tech, obviously YMMV, everyone is different i suppose....

...That I hear it shaves aggressively makes me happy, so thanks @Bogeyman..

Note however that these are very cheaply constructed. The baseplate was wafer thin and I imagine you could throw a dog through their "Go/No Go" gauge!

Back
Top Bottom