Le Tour

Who'll beat him? Schleck I hope, he had Contador beaten last year were it not for a chain malfunction on one climb. I'd like to see Cadel Evans take a win but I fear it's beyond him now.
Would be very nice to see a Brit rider up there somewhere but I honestly don't think Brad Wiggins has the grit. And I think the change in the points system does for Mark Cavendish's chances of the Green, (and most other sprinters for that matter). Sprinters like saving themselves for the end, they don't like chasing breakaways down at the 80k point. Doesn't suit them.

I just hope there's no more doping controversy this year, I kind of fell out of love with Le Tour a few years back once it came out that everybody was at it. Pantani's biography was a huge eye opener as to the scale of the problem. Seems every tour winner for the last ten to 15 years is in doubt to some extent, Contador included.

Still, cheating riders aside, it's worth watching for the spectacle and the scenery alone, I'm now resigned to be glued to Eurosport for 6 hours a day. Good job I have 4 weeks paternity in.

I have been watching it since 1988, been to see it a few times too. Can't say who will win but I would like to see Schleck do it. I wish channel 4 would bring back the old Pete Shelley theme tune as well :D

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IMjb6sU5Mg[/video]

It's fantastic viewing at times. Riveting stuff during the key mountain stages later on. I won't manage six hours a day but I like to be watching the last part of most stages.

Schleck for me too. Either one.
Cav for Green.
Contador is in awesome form and even with his poor start will take some stopping. Brads in 12th so he's in the right place.
Cooool.
Tim.

OOO Farrar won on Independence Day.!

I'm with Boab on the theme tune, looks like we've been watching it for around the same time, although Roche won the first one I watched 87 in believe. Seen some quality over the years, Delgardo, Lemond, Fignon, Indurain, Armstrong etc etc, love the tour, would like to see Millar and Thomas do well, not sure about Cavendish, bit overhyped and up his own backside for my liking

Did anyone else see that TV car take the two riders out? One of them straight into a barbed wire fence.. ouch

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbH9KGBnW-8[/video]

Pete said:
Did anyone else see that TV car take the two riders out? One of them straight into a barbed wire fence.. ouch

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbH9KGBnW-8[/video]

I was watching it live at the time. I'm surprised there aren't more accidents. Sometimes the riders seem completely lost among the cars, motorcycles and the maniacs who line the street then jump out and start running alongside.

As someone who rides a road bike to commute a 20-mile round-trip to and from work 4 days a week, I marvel at their stamina and the average speed the skelp along at. I usually only hit 30mph or more when I'm going downhill or if I'm keeping up with the traffic flow on mainly flat roads. They're doing 40 plus on the flat and barely looking like they're trying. Not only that, but the way they take hills.... a short stretch of steep-ish uphill and my legs are burning and my lungs are in my mouth!

I've been watching the Tour since the mid to late 80s, and actually attended a stage around 1983 when it went by the town we were staying in. Back then I'd never seen it and had no idea who anyone was - mind you, since you wait for hours and the whole field passes you in a few seconds it was hard to make any individual riders out.

Cav's achievements are amazing, he does not get enough recognition in the media here. When you see him make that second kick no one can touch him. Best sprinter ever.

Back
Top Bottom