Lather Shots

Mon 31
Soap Barrister & Mann Seville
Brush Yaqi 26mm Lucky Dice 2 Band Badger
20221031_101125.jpg
Tue 1
Soap Tabac
Brush Yaqi 26mm Moka Express 2 Band Badger
Last use of the tabac for 2022. Will save this top-shelf soap for another year. Absolutely awesome quality lather, and the brush, and aftershave are great as well...
20221101_100443.jpg

Soap Yaqi Lemon, Lime Cedarwood
Brush Yaqi 24mm Mountain Lake 2 Band Badger
Nice enough soap for the fabulous lather and the cooling scent, accentuated by the matching splash. The brush is just fantastic...
20221104_070223.jpg

Soap Stirling Haverford
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow
I love this soap! The aromatic scent is strong & outstanding while the lather is super creamy & slick! The matching aftershave allows me to enjoy it for longer...
20221105_061046.jpg

Not posted for a while; however, I still have lots of soaps and brushes, so will dip in now and again.
Brush: Old Vulfix boar, re-knotted by me many years ago (my first re-knot) with a small (18mm) Golden Nib silvertip.
Soap: Madame Scodioli 'Step Right Up'.

Since I prefer them to have some scritch, the brush is far too soft (and small) for me now and I can really only use it on very light growth.
The soap is a glycerine soap, no longer available, which smells superb and produces a good lather, if a little tacky.
Vulfix.jpg

Brush: Vintage Culmak Senior (boar)
Soap: Dusy Kabinett
The brush came to me as an Ebay purchase some time ago, unused and boxed. I would say the knot is bleached - it's typically pale and soft(ish), unlike another Culmak I have, which looks to be untreated. The Senior is still not fully broken in, hence the dissipating lather.
I haven't pictured the soap - the initiated will know that it came as 2 x 250g bars (a half kilo!) so a chunk has been sliced off and popped into a container. The successor to Klar Kabinett, it has a lovely rose scent, lathers beautifully and is supremely slick. The difference between it and Klar - one's coconut oil, the other palm oil. Even Dusy looks hard to find now.

Culmak.jpg

Brush: Vintage Culmak boar (untreated?)
Soap: Body Shop Maca Root ('old' version)

Referenced above, this brush comes from a set I picked up (principally for the GII handle) which has a soap in an identically coloured bowl. It has a small knot characteristic of the era. I reckon it's untreated as it's as grey as a murky British Bank Holiday Monday. It's proving to be a job to break in - I reckon Culmak clipped their knots indiscriminately and I say that having shaved with their boars for c. 30 years.

The soap - I've had this a fair old while and neglected it. Reviewers often said it smelt 'like weeds' and, to me, it smells like cut dandelions(!) but I've come back to it, having watched a recent shaving video. It hasn't turned and I wouldn't say the smell has mellowed - but it produces a superb, glossy lather with beautiful slickness. I'll post the ingredients next pic, should those with a newer version want to compare.

Culmak_.jpg

Soap Southern Witchcraft Samhain
Brush Spiffo Manchurian
Super creamy lather from the soap with a pleasant scent augmented by the matching splash. The brush is just amazing...super soft!
20221203_093309.jpg

Back
Top Bottom