King C Gillette Blades?

Am still workingh through my blade sample pack of my first DE shaving wave and have found sofar that i tend to favor the sharper blades. My first session with the feathers was like a re-enactment of a Jack the Ripper scene but now im a bit further down the line and getting back to the feathers with more enjoyable shaves especially valuing the sharpness. In our local pharmacy they were stocking the King C Gillettes blades and picked up a box of them which are considerably more expensive then the rest by quite a margin, but i must say that they do provide a very comfortable shave. they also seem to be quite sharp or at least very smooth. A bit on the fence now if i shoudl buy a larger stack of feathers or some other sharp but comfortable blade. Any advice on blade choice? i have quite a coarse growth so sharp tends to work best in my experience.

Cutting one's self is a result of poor technique or using a razor entirely too aggressive for your needs and rarely if ever has anything to do with blade selection.

Cutting one's self is a result of poor technique or using a razor entirely too aggressive for your needs and rarely if ever has anything to do with blade selection.
oh in My case it was certainly lack of technique! In my first weeks of DE shaving i thought i shouldnt be shaving in front of a mirror but actually in front of a mortuary:oops: but after some time it did improve to now being fine!

Technique will click and when it does you'll wonder how the heck you ever managed to cut yourself.

What I would say is that sharpness is not the be-all and end-all of shaving. Comfort and consistency are far more important, I'd say. If you found the KCGs to be more comfortable on your face, go with them ... maybe not a huge stash as your tastes will change, but they are a good blade with a sound heritage. Yes, to concur with @culcreuch I believe them to be the same as the Gillette Platinum (the new blue pack) having run the old Platinum (white pack), new Platinum (blue pack) and KCG back to back.

Aside from comfort, there's building good technique ... which, I'd say a sharp blade is probably a better choice as less sharp blades might lead to you press too hard where a sharp blade will most definitely shave you well with a lighter touch. If the Feather is too much for you (and I find them a bit meh, to be frank with one sharp shave and one less so, then done for) look to Gillette again and their Permasharp Super which gives a consistently sharp shave across three or four shaves.

Technique will click and when it does you'll wonder how the heck you ever managed to cut yourself.

What I would say is that sharpness is not the be-all and end-all of shaving. Comfort and consistency are far more important, I'd say. If you found the KCGs to be more comfortable on your face, go with them ... maybe not a huge stash as your tastes will change, but they are a good blade with a sound heritage. Yes, to concur with @culcreuch I believe them to be the same as the Gillette Platinum (the new blue pack) having run the old Platinum (white pack), new Platinum (blue pack) and KCG back to back.

Aside from comfort, there's building good technique ... which, I'd say a sharp blade is probably a better choice as less sharp blades might lead to you press too hard where a sharp blade will most definitely shave you well with a lighter touch. If the Feather is too much for you (and I find them a bit meh, to be frank with one sharp shave and one less so, then done for) look to Gillette again and their Permasharp Super which gives a consistently sharp shave across three or four shaves.
great tips thanks!!

Well, I bought the pckg. of 10 of these yesterday at a local brick & mortar for the princely sum of $5.99 U.S. :cautious:

I used one today on a day and a half beard in a post-war BE Tech after a shower. I used a Palmolive stick so as to not appear I was putting my "thumb on the scale". It gave me a run of the mill great shave that I get from all modern Gillette DE blades. To be frank, I'd wager damn near any amount no man could determine the difference between all of them (Gillette) if a pro barber administered the shave using the same soap & prep.

Great blade, but not worth the high sum. YMMV.

So recently i bought a King C Gillette razor + five blades for just £9.98 from Amazon

https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/bargains.57892/page-16#post-939538

Had 2 great shaves from KCG razor and KCG blade combo and was very impressed with the smoothness of the whole experience.

I decided to try a different blade in the razor and had available one of my beloved Astra SP (RUS) blades that was ready for its second outing, so considered this a fair trial in the KCG Razor.

My considered thoughts are now thus:

The KCG razor shaves in a similar way to my EJ89 (the heads look very similar). I didn't have any of the reported problems with the handle being slippery when wet.

The KCG blade was, for me, very impressive; I get a great close and comfortable shave from Astras, but the KCG blade seem noticeably smoother and of a similar level of sharpness. Really very good.

I bulk at paying £40+ per hundred for KCG blades , but intend to source some of the new Gillette Platinums and compare them to the remaining 4 KCG blades that i have.

It was a tenner well spent :D (y)

Highly under-rated, isn't it @Zorro? I think the tolerances are ever so slightly tighter than the R89/DE89 and so an apparently smoother shave (though no less capable) is achieved. I like mine a lot!

As for the blades, it's a YMMV thing. I'm not a massive fan of Gillette, but their Platinum (and I suppose we assume the KCG is the Platinum Blue) is a pinnacle blade in their line-up and most befitting of an historical branding.

Back
Top Bottom