John Lewis own brand shaving soap

Pete said:
Well here's the T&H ingredients

sodium palmate, potassium palmate, sodium palm kernelate, aqua, glycerin, potassium palm kernelate, stearic acid, parfum, paraffinum liquidum, isopropyl myristate, tetrasodium EDTA, sodium chloride, bht, tetrasodium etrioronate, pentasodium pentetate, CI77891

Close but not quite

Actually it looks to me to being the same, apart from the scent used, and the pigment (CI77891). Aqua is the required INCI designation -- 'water' is formally incorrect, although it is factually as correct as 'aqua' of course. The difference in order between the BHT, EDTA and further ingredients might just be because under 1%, you no longer have to list the ingredients in order of decreasing content...

Henk

soapalchemist said:
paraffinum liquidum

In INCI-speak, paraffinum liquidum is basically a low-melting point (i.e. liquid at room temperature or slightly above) grade of vaseline.

The vast majority of soaps available in the shops are milled; during this process the glycerin which would otherwise be naturally in the soap is removed, leaving a soap that will be more drying and more inclined to crack. (It is then sold separately, often for more than the soap). I believe the reason petroleum derived ingredients are added is that it compensates for the removed vegetable glycerin.

Actually, with shaving soaps, the glycerin is usually kept in. This is why you see things like 'sodium tallowate'. This means (also legally), an ingredient derived from saponifying tallow, without taking anything out. Sodium tallowate is therefore: "sodium salts of tallow acids plus the glycerin resulting from this tallow". You can also make soap from tallow acids and sodium hydroxide. The label should then include 'tallow acid' and 'sodium hydroxide'. This is what you see when extra stearic acid is included (a pure single fatty acid, usually obtained from palm oil these days). In a good shaving soap with stearic acid, you will always see the hydroxide listed, plus glycierin. The glycerin is added because a good shaving soap needs it (and usually gets it from its ingredient oils), but stearic acid does no longer provide it automatically. The vaselin is just added as lubricant (just as we usually use clays...), not to compensate for the glycerin, which is a humectant, and a lather stabilizer of sorts. In fact, the vaselin would be a lather killer...

Henk

Smelt the soap (and bought a puck) in John Lewis about 6 months ago. A week later I was in Taylors and smelled their puck, which smelt identical (although 3x the price)

Just been on Taylors website, but cant find an ingredients list.

Ingredients of the Taylors shaving soap(Lavander):
sodium palmate, potassium palmate, aqua (water), sodium cocoate, potassium palm kernelate, glycerin, sodium palm kernelate, parfum (frangrance) palm kernel fatty acid, sodium chloride, tetrasodium etidronate, pentasodium pentetate, tetrasodium edta, linalool, coumarin, limonene, CI 77891 (titanium dioxide), CI 77007 (ultramarines)

It seems like the same base without the paraffin liquidum.

Back
Top Bottom