John Lewis own brand shaving soap

I was in JL in Edinburgh today (just passing through on my way to L'Occitane en Provence on Frederick Street to pick up my birthday gift from SWMBO for next month - it was like the third circle of hell in JL) and as I passed the shaving shelf I spotted two things. One that the Kent refill is now £5.30 :eek: and the other that they had their own shaving mug refill soaps for £2.20. So it would have been rude of me not to partake. No ingredients list or anything so it's a punt into the unknown.

$DEITY bless JLP:

Sodium palmate, potassium palmate, sodium palm kernelate, water, glycerin, potassium palm kernelate, stearic acid, parfum, limonene, paraffinum liquidum, linalool, isopropyl myristate, BHT, tetrasodium edta, sodium chloride, coumarin, geraniol, tetrasodium etidronate, pentasodium pentetate.

Further update from JL's central buying office:

"Thanks for bringing to our attention that this product does not carry the ingredient listing that it should. You are correct in saying that under EU regulation this should be in place along with suppliers name and address. We have been in contact with the supplier of this line and will be rectifying the situation as soon as possible."

So perhaps in due course we'll find out who the suppliers really are

Well here's the T&H ingredients

sodium palmate, potassium palmate, sodium palm kernelate, aqua, glycerin, potassium palm kernelate, stearic acid, parfum, paraffinum liquidum, isopropyl myristate, tetrasodium EDTA, sodium chloride, bht, tetrasodium etrioronate, pentasodium pentetate, CI77891

Close but not quite

pretty close though, I see that they use Aqua instead of water... interesting.

I believe that John Lewis also stock Vulfix products, so maybe it is supplied by Vulfix, who obtain it from their manufacturer.

Hi, Aqua is water, just that EU regs require that ingredients be listed according to prescribed nomenclature......being one of the reasons that unless you're fluent in Latin, most people can't understand what on earth the ingredients are. I try where space allows to list my ingredients in both English and INCI (EU speak), so that people know what they are buying.
Interesting that so many shaving soaps are made almost entirely of Palm, which is the cheapest oil available, and yet are priced at a premium. I also notice that the ingredients on this one include paraffinum liquidum (something to do with petrol!) and glycerin. The vast majority of soaps available in the shops are milled; during this process the glycerin which would otherwise be naturally in the soap is removed, leaving a soap that will be more drying and more inclined to crack. (It is then sold separately, often for more than the soap). I believe the reason petroleum derived ingredients are added is that it compensates for the removed vegetable glycerin. Presumably that is also why the manufacturer has added some extra glycerin back in.
A properly formulated vegetable soap can be very hard and will never crack - and no need for petroleum derived additions.

soapalchemist said:
A properly formulated vegetable soap can be very hard and will never crack - and no need for petroleum derived additions.

And where might one find such a soap?

Oh where, oh where, oh where, oh where?

Would you know?

By any chance?

Back
Top Bottom