Jerusalem Fartichokes

A friend of mine gave me a bag of these that she'd dug up out of her garden. I've boiled some and had them with a spicy sausage stew, and rosti'd some with a steak last night. Before I turn the rest of them into soup, does anyone have a kick-ass recipe for these turbulence-inducing little tubers that I should try?

Heh: "which way soever they be dressed and eaten, they stir and cause a filthy loathsome stinking wind within the body, thereby causing the belly to be pained and tormented, and are a meat more fit for swine than men" - John Goodyer, 1621.

used to get them in the Riverford veg box take a look on their web site for recipes

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/index.php</a><!-- m -->?

and yes they are fart inducing - try a sprout and artichoke curry :shock: :shock:

This is not too shaby.....up there on the fart attack scale too. It goes down well as a hors whatsaname at parties.

Ingredients
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
salt and pepper to taste
1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a small baking dish.
In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, Romano cheese, garlic, basil, garlic salt, salt and pepper. Gently stir in artichoke hearts and spinach.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top with mozzarella cheese. Bake in the preheated oven 25 minutes, until bubbly and lightly browned.

That's globe artichokes, you dimtwit, not Jerusalem artichokes. If there wasn't so much CHEESE involved, this Dave might cry BOLLOCKS.

Thanks for spotting the mistake Cheese D :lol:

You might want to give this a whirl mate.

Ingredients:
1 pound Jerusalem artichokes
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 stalks celery
1 medium onion
6 Tablespoons butter
2-1/2 cups chicken broth
3 Tablespoons flour
1-1/2 cups medium-sharp Cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1/2 cup cream
Salt
Cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Preparation:
Wash, peel, and roughly chop Jerusalem artichokes and keep in water to which lemon juice has been added until ready to use. Chop celery and onion and cook in 2 tablespoons butter until slightly wilted, approximately 10 minutes. Add sunchokes and 1-1/2 cups chicken broth, cover, and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are cooked through. Puree in a blender, food processor, or food mill.

In a medium-size saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter, add flour, and cook for 2 minutes without browning. Remove from heat and whisk in 1 cup broth, then cook for 5 minutes. Add Cheddar cheese and mustard and stir until blended. Stir in choke mixture and cream and cook until soup is heated through. Season with salt, cayenne pepper, and Worcestershire sauce.

Note: For a thinner soup, add additional chicken stock.

I love em, but nobody else did. Plant some in a restricted area because they are rampant and grow large. Six foot plus.

Nothing much to add to above recipe except to get yourself a little jar of asafoetida from your local Asian Supermarket

A little goes a long way and it acts as an anti flatulent. Smells unpleasant raw but when cooked out gives mild onion/leek flavour, good in dahl's too.

antdad said:
Nothing much to add to above recipe except to get yourself a little jar of asafoetida from your local Asian Supermarket
I love this stuff, it's great in curries, but yes, a little goes a long way.

My mate calls it "as a fetid A", where the "A" was our email-spy-beating code for A**e.

Back
Top Bottom