Jap review

SiR-ed8 said:
huxley said:
Glad you love it michael, i too was impressed with it.

You'll get to play with my vintage ti soon enough which is my favourite of all razors.

Huxley,

What ratios did you employ? I do 3:1 or 7:1.

When I worked with the Japanese the Sushi chef said the ratio he used was 9:1 this was for sharpening knives that were flat on one side and sloping on the other. Also to note these knives were hand specific, the handles on traditional sushi knives are a slight tear drop shape. If memory serves me right holding the knife in your right had the flat side would be on your left and the sloping side on the right so when you cut your fish the slice would fall away from the cutting area.

But seeing as this is a razor who was it made for the barber or the customer? Because thinking about it would be made a certain way depending on if it was for barber or customer because with that type of blade it is only made to be used one way and you only need one knife to do any job the Japanese call that "hocho ipon".

What I do know is sharpening knives for sushi is easy but shave sharp is a different kettle of fish.

Big.Dave said:
SiR-ed8 said:
huxley said:

You'll get to play with my vintage ti soon enough which is my favourite of all razors.

Huxley,

When I worked with the Japanese the Sushi chef said the ratio he used was 9:1 this was for sharpening knives that were flat on one side and sloping on the other. Also to note these knives were hand specific, the handles on traditional sushi knives are a slight tear drop shape. If memory serves me right holding the knife in your right had the flat side would be on your left and the sloping side on the right so when you cut your fish the slice would fall away from the cutting area.

But seeing as this is a razor who was it made for the barber or the customer? Because thinking about it would be made a certain way depending on if it was for barber or customer because with that type of blade it is only made to be used one way and you only need one knife to do any job the Japanese call that "hocho ipon".

What I do know is sharpening knives for sushi is easy but shave sharp is a different kettle of fish.

With the 9:1 ratio it was 9 laps on the sloping to 1 on the flat this was aproximately because in a busy kitchen you will always get disturbed when you are trying to count :lol:

The Kanji translates as being especially made for Toshikawatsu, by Toshiichi there are also some characters that say something about a trademark hope this helps big dave

over5feet said:
The Kanji translates as being especially made for Toshikawatsu, by Toshiichi there are also some characters that say something about a trademark hope this helps big dave

When it comes to reading Japanese I leave that to the misses. Although having worked with them for 4 years their language is not difficult to speak by far eastern standards no tonal inflections the Japanese written language needs sorting out big time.
But you have to question whats going on with them when they are one of the most technically advanced nations on earth but still eat there dinner with 2 bits of wood :hungrig

Also I work with a couple of chefs called Toshi.

Ater working for Sega for 10 years and going back and forward to Japan I picked up enought to order a nice meal wine and a hotel for the night, And to read enough to get me pass level 1 where tails can come help :lol:

Big.Dave said:
SiR-ed8 said:
huxley said:

Huxley,

Dave,

Kamisori is made for the Barber not the customer. This is why in some forums you see people admitting to shaving with both sides ( the wrong way ). You shave with the Omote/front/non-stamped side as well majority of work needs to be done here when honing compared to the Ura/back/stamped side.

Iwasaki, Norikazu, Livi

Tsugeru Kanetaka

Honing Japanese razor

SiR-ed8 said:

Dave,

Kamisori is made for the Barber not the customer. This is why in some forums you see people admitting to shaving with both sides ( the wrong way ). You shave with the Omote/front/non-stamped side as well majority of work needs to be done here when honing compared to the Ura/back/stamped side

So if they are made for the barber does that mean that the flat edge touches the cheek and the sloping side pushes the cut wiskers away I hope i've got it right :D

Yes, flat/convex touches the cheek while concave side away from the cheek.
beer.gif

Believe it or not prior to watching Jim's video I shaved with the Omote/front/convex side. For sh*ts and giggles I decided to use the ura and boy was that foolhardy. The result was a cut no less. Even looking down on it you can just imagine the edge of blade catching your skin. I vowed to myself from that point on ward never again mate.

Here's JimR:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBDRP6tSOWo[/youtube]

He sold me my second Iwasaki. Awesome gent to deal with!

SiR-ed8 said:
How are the shaves coming along? Do you plan on picking more up or will you stick to westerns? Chock this one up to learning experience?
Nope this ones going, Sticking with my family piece and maybe when Huxley pass's it on a prima.... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom