Jap review

So today it was returned this time shave ready BIG THANKS to Huxley this man knows how to sharpen a straight so thanks Darren

Now I have had many straights over the years and always wanted to try a Japanese one but you have to be very careful about what you buy as there is a lot of Crap out there that look good but are not, And I can say hand on heart if you get a got one as I have the shave is amazing its like having a cabinet full of ninjas ready to help,
My shave today was I think to date one of the closes I have had and I am sure as I dial in to this razor they will get better and better. You hold it much the same way as a normal straight but the cutting edge just seems to be so much better and more in tune with the shape of your face. The balance of the razor is amazing as well. They may not be much to look at but the most important part is the cutting edge is just a work of art.

The only down side would be the storage but I am sure you will find a solution as I have found a short term one which is a chop stick rest the razor sits very nicely without the blade touching anything at all (will contacting arrowhead for a permeant solution :D ) . If you can I recommend you try one of these you won't look back

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    360 bytes · Views: 294
  • 2010_0818_192842.JPG
    360 bytes · Views: 293
May you enjoy many great shaves my friend. How does it compare to your westerns? It's quite the surgical tool isn't it?

The BSS shaves for me last 2.5 days vs the 2 days with any western.

SiR-ed8 said:
May you enjoy many great shaves my friend. How does it compare to your westerns? It's quite the surgical tool isn't it?

The BSS shaves for me last 2.5 days vs the 2 days with any western.

I don't think it can be compared to a western razor as shave is effortless and closer in pass than any other straight I have tried as I said the edge just seems to work and be in tune with your face

Thanks for the honing Huxley BTW if you ever need a razor honed or if you have one that is honed and still does not feel right ask Huxley this man is a master The razors he has done for me past and present they have come back like a new razor the edge he can achieve is amazing this man is a true master of his craft and a gent as well

moodymick said:
As a lover of sharp things in general (i will shave with one of my straights one day - hope you're still around then Hux ;) ), i notice that there does seem to be a seriously sharp corner on that blade :shock: did that necessitate a change in your usual shaving technique?

I am sure if you mail huxley when you get one he will advise you on how best to go forward, And as for my little jap no different than a normal straight when it comes to technique the blade I would say just gives a lot better shave than a western one still a little nervous (but I think this is healthy when it comes to something so sharp)
If you can try so different sorts of straights as thanks to huxley I did and the ones that maybe you think would be good may not be so it maybe worth buttering a few people up to see if you can get some loners to find what suits you best

Yeah you use the concave side as much as possible. you can get away with using the flat side but it's less effective still a great razor and one of the best i've used to date.

Mick course i'll be about, best way is to fire me a pm, from there you can email me.

Master lol, thanks for the kind words i wouldn't call myself that but i do like to think im good, and i do enjoy honing on the odd occasion, if it gets too much i always say as i can be busy at times.

Oddly i mainly use my open comb micromatic for shaving. It's the only traditional razor that can handle my thick stubble, plus i normally only have time to shave at night, making it wiser than grabbing a straight.

One thing i will add, i don't to major restoration work or dud razors, so if you know the brand or are unsure just get in touch and fire me some pictures first.

I made the mistake of taking on some duds from another guy. Anyway they proved to be a honing nightmare.

Well ok that uncle razor of yours was a pita beyond belief, mainly as i wasn't geared up but taffy on b&b was the main culprit. He was just starting out so ended up buying all the cheap tat without realising it was cheap for a reason!!!!

Then goes on to add my honing didn't do anything for him. Anyway i've scratched him off for now as he's tighter than a ducks arse, i still like the guy mind. :lol:

But that razor you had did teach me some valuable lessons. I will have to buy some mops for the bench grinder if im to go further, we'll see what the future brings, for now im just happy honing the odd razor.

Btw how is it anyway?

Haha fair enough, honing it wasn't a problem btw so should be fairly decent.

I was hoping to improve that myers, since my skill has come on quite well since the last time we met. But i don't think i did by much, so that razor can only go so far, like any other i suppose.

Back
Top Bottom