Jap review

Huxley,

Which kamisoris do you have? Any preference to one? I like both but if I had to do away with one I'd take the kamisori hands down. They're so light and decisive hence likening them to a surgeon's tool. At least for me anyway. It puzzles me why it's more difficult for others to use this versus a conventional straight and I'm not expert either. I picked one up about a couple weeks after I started with western. It was easier to learn from truth be told.

I find them easier to shave with, if anything more natural. Im afraid i don't own any, only one i used was michaels. But if i was to own one, it would be an iwasaki imo one of the best.

Or a john williams "The purist"

But i must rehone my prima that michael raves about. Been a while since i've used it, so going from him it must be special.

Prima? Is this Prima Klang by Dovo? Sorry I don't know them all.

I like Iwasaki so much so I had to get another. It is by far my favourite of all my kamisoris. I've just been busy breaking in my brushes I've been using my Rolls Razor for some time now instead of my straights
suicide.gif

Well in truth I want to gauge how many shaves I get from these Rolls. Thus far I'm at shave #45 for each. I'm really achieving 2 things here: break-in of brushes and gauging my honing skills :p

huxley said:
I find them easier to shave with, if anything more natural. Im afraid i don't own any, only one i used was michaels. But if i was to own one, it would be an iwasaki imo one of the best.

Or a john williams "The purist"

But i must rehone my prima that michael raves about. Been a while since i've used it, so going from him it must be special.

You need your arse kicked what have you been doing to lovely prima you should use it.... It gives a lovely shave with no effort. See to many toys and all that :D

Haha this arse would take some kicking, but i really should give it another whirl. It is the biggest of my razors for a 6/8" it seems to come up on the large side.

SiR-ed8 it's just a normal straight, bit of an oddball i won on ebay and my first decent straight. I chased it's history but there's little to none, could be related to a c.ern razor but that's from looks alone, it's a solingen blade, has a worked back albeit worn but shaves very well.

I'll have to give it a run for sure

p1070054.jpg

Huxley,
Don't get me started on 6/8 the first time I tried one it definitely was quite a feat and got a couple nicks. But in the end I managed. The largest was probably 13/16 Lion Works Razor. That was a PITA to hone. Multiple bevels and warped toe. worn spine-what a nightmare. I don't think the etching had anything to do with it either :p

BTW nice looking Prima! Worked spines are nice touch.

We certainly got off track here didn't we?

Sorry to see that the honeymoon period for the Japanese razor is over, Michael - those guys over at SRP must be waiting for it to show up in the classifieds with bated breath! I might even keep an eye open for it myself!

Regards,
Neil

Neil Miller said:
Sorry to see that the honeymoon period for the Japanese razor is over, Michael - those guys over at SRP must be waiting for it to show up in the classifieds with bated breath! I might even keep an eye open for it myself!

Regards,
Neil

Don't get me wrong its one heck of a razor its just not getting used and who ever gets it will have fun with it I'm sure but the guys at the SRP will have to wait quite sometime as I can't post for sale items for a little while and after all it would be like sending it home.
I think Japanese razors are fun to try and would take a little while to get use to I'm very glad tried it but for number of different reasons I just want someone else to enjoy it but also not making a big push to get rid of it. :roll:

over5feet said:
Neil Miller said:

Regards,
Neil

Don't get me wrong its one heck of a razor its just not getting used and who ever gets it will have fun with it I'm sure but the guys at the SRP will have to wait quite sometime as I can't post for sale items for a little while and after all it would be like sending it home.
I think Japanese razors are fun to try and would take a little while to get use to I'm very glad tried it but for number of different reasons I just want someone else to enjoy it but also not making a big push to get rid of it. :roll:

Forget them! I know someone who's interested in it now!

Back
Top Bottom