January 2021 - Vintage Month

I'm going to start participating here at My first full face shave for a while as I hacked off my beard today. I'll finish the month with a few vintage razors.

Here's my SOTD

13/1/21

Brush - Omega 11819
Soap - Vitos Red Coco
Razor - Gillette New OC
Blade - Gillette 7 Yellow
Post - Cien Aqua
AS - Brut Oceans

It seemed like for a vintage themed month it would be right to use a boar brush, and gave my well broken in and favourite brush the Omega 11819 a go today, and even though it's not a vintage soap - Vitos Red seems like a very old fashioned tallow shaving soap.

Now onto the shave, last night I hacked my 3 month old beard to Grade 1 with clippers, and today I cleared the remaining stubble/stragglers the Gillette New OC paired with a 7 Yellow in 3 passes. I'm really impressed with the Gillette New OC, it's the most efficient vintage Gillette I own, and it was very smooth paired with the 7 Yellow, a blade I find to be a bit too much in some razors but worked a delight with the New OC.

Apologies for the picture quality. The razor handle, brush and soap are all from a Boots Monogram gift set, the bowl etc. possibly being gold coloured brass. The handle is a Contour/Atra type but markedly shorter (an inch or so) than the Gillette original. The brush is declared to be pure bristle; the soap may very well be a Yardley. Teamed with a Wilkinson (non-lube strip) Profile blade. All, probably, late 70s or early 80s. The reason for the Schick blades is that the cart couldn't cope with 3 days' growth - the blades are too close together - so I had to resort to my slant

Last edited:
Wednesday 13th January

Gillette New Standard 1328024 Patent Anniversary 13/01/1920

Wash with French Pink Clay & Charcoal soap
Lather up with Wickham's 1912 Gothic Revival & RazoRock 400 (Limited Edition) w/Plissoft Noir 24mm
Shave with Gillette 1920s New Improved & Gillette London Bridge Super Stainless (2)
Hot rinse, cold rinse & Wickham's Gothic Revival Aftershave​

The more keen-eyed amongst you will notice the screw in key is not original. I got the razor as part of a mixed box of bits and broken. The razor itself cleaned up really nicely and seemed worth commissioning a replacement key. It's solid stainless, so heavier in the tail and lightening what is otherwise quite a heavy head.

I think you've forgotten to attach your picture

Congratulations on the removal of your face fuzz!

Paul.

The New is indeed a surprisingly smooth shaver and very much designed for the kind of shaving you just did. Now, doesn't it feel a lot better? Beards! Huh!

Lovely spread! Yes, I'm inclined to agree that I think the soap is most likely Yardley. Nice shave, that. I have a Wilkinson of that vintage on an Aramis metal handle (1980s?), and it's a nice shaver. But yes, not great when it clogs on days old growth.

Is that the original knot in that brush?

No, that's a reknot. Vie-Long do horse brushes, which I find horrid but really liked the handle. The knot is one from Haryali and came in that wooden handled brush you asked about once (and said I keep it nicely oiled with birch tar). It was a cheap way of getting the knot and I had intended to simply saw off the top and pop the knot out but as luck would have it, the knot just came out with a firm grip and twist. So, intact wood handle in hand, I popped a cheapo piggy into that and feel the whole thing worked out well.

This one ...

I suppose in hindsight, the boar might have worked equally well in the Vie-Long.

Stainless!!! That's blasphemous!!! Did you at least bore the bottom hollow like the original, or do you like your women heavy in the ass?

I remember that little brush, love it!

Stainless!!! That's blasphemous!!! Did you at least bore the bottom hollow like the original, or do you like your women heavy in the ass?

Unusable without, so the prosthetic is warranted. Repair and re-use.

The bottom is indeed bored out ...

Good God! What are we talking about?

Still heavy ended, though. Suits me. As a fencer, I'm a "pommeller" who uses an epee with a tradtional long handle, but held by the very end (the pommel).