Razor: Gillette Old Type
Blade: NOS (70s) Gillette Platinum (5)
Brush: AP Shave 2BED
Soap: MdC Original
Pre: Proraso White
ASL: Floïd Suave
ASB: Floïd

View attachment 62955

This was my first time using the Old Type. I'm generally not a fan of open combs and prepared myself for disliking this in advance of the shave. I shouldn't have.

King C certainly got it right when he designed this thing. That was an easy smooth shave. I've parked my original plan of using this once and I'm now looking forward to Saturday's shave with it. Has it been helped by the MdC lather? Perhaps, but the next shave will confirm.

It took me a number of shaves to dial in the right angle for the Old Type, and once I did I found it to be a incredibly smooth and comfortable daily shaver.

I found my Old Type seemed to perform at it's best with a few blades, with subcontinent blades being the best performers - the Winner Platinum and 7 Black were two ones I found the razor suited.

As for the lather, I've not used MDC but I found I had better shaves with the OT if the lathers were slicker side of things.

OP
Boycie83
It took me a number of shaves to dial in the right angle for the Old Type, and once I did I found it to be a incredibly smooth and comfortable daily shaver.

I found my Old Type seemed to perform at it's best with a few blades, with subcontinent blades being the best performers - the Winner Platinum and 7 Black were two ones I found the razor suited.

As for the lather, I've not used MDC but I found I had better shaves with the OT if the lathers were slicker side of things.
It's getting XXX next which isn't as good as MdC in terms of slickness so will be interesting to see how it performs.

Satanfriendly

Supporter
Supporter
IMG_20210108_185619.jpg

Ever Ready 1924 converted for modern handles
GEM blade
Yaqi Mew Brown (more on this next SOTD)
Alvarez Gomez Barbaria

I have to admit I actually prefer the 1912 at the moment. May be I am missing something but the 1924 appears a lot milder and takes some work to get BBS results. Incredibly smooth and nigh on impossible to do any damage. Still a great finish from an old man

View attachment 62992

Ever Ready 1924 converted for modern handles
GEM blade
Yaqi Mew Brown (more on this next SOTD)
Alvarez Gomez Barbaria

I have to admit I actually prefer the 1912 at the moment. May be I am missing something but the 1924 appears a lot milder and takes some work to get BBS results. Incredibly smooth and nigh on impossible to do any damage. Still a great finish from an old man
You have a round comb Shovelhead, that's the milder one,... get a square comb.

OP
Boycie83
09/01/21 - Vintage Month

Blade: NOS (70s) Gillette Platinum (6)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Silksmoke
Soap: RazoRock XXX
Pre: Proraso Azur Lime
ASL: RazoRock XXX
ASB: RazoRock XXX

IMG_20210109_082110.jpg

Even with the blade reaching the end of its prime, this was still a nice shave. I love the scent of XXX (AdP Colonia). The Old Type has now been cleaned and put away. It will be staying a part of my collection. Maybe OCs aren't that bad after all?

09/01/21 - Vintage Month

Blade: NOS (70s) Gillette Platinum (6)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Silksmoke
Soap: RazoRock XXX
ASL: RazoRock XXX
ASB: RazoRock XXX

View attachment 63016

Even with the blade reaching the end of its prime, this was still a nice shave. I love the scent of XXX (AdP Colonia). The Old Type has now been cleaned and put away. It will be staying a part of my collection. Maybe OCs aren't that bad after all?
It's just a different kind of guard, just looks aggressive. Put it into your rotation, it's meant to be used.

My input for today is this vintage GEM Micromatic Clog-pruf Peerless:

sotd_132.jpg

OP
Boycie83
10/01/21 - Vintage Month

Razor: Schick Type E
Blade: Personna (2)
Brush: Yaqi Silvertip
Soap: Black Ship Grooming Captain's Reserve
ASL: Signature Soaps Hibernia
ASB: Floïd

IMG_20210110_110550.jpg

I find injector razors really easy to use. I'm left with a BBS finish from 3 passes with this razor. Another design that's stood the test of time.

I'm impressed with the BSG soap. Good lather quality. I wasn't sure on the scent from the tub - the pineapple have it a bit of an Aventus quality. Once lathered, it became much richer though and the base notes really came through. Not a room filling scent but very pleasant.

Top Bottom