Is this the thin end of the wedge?

I've just read slightly concerning news on the Sharpologist blog. They were reviewing Palmolive cream (though, as far as I understand it, the version sold in the States is different to the European cream). Anyway, it seems that Colgate-Palmolive are discontinuing the cream in the US; whilst there's no suggestion that the same fate will befall the European version, might this mark the first part of a withdrawal from the traditional shave market?

Sharpologist

chrisbell said:
I've just read slightly concerning news on the Sharpologist blog. They were reviewing Palmolive cream (though, as far as I understand it, the version sold in the States is different to the European cream). Anyway, it seems that Colgate-Palmolive are discontinuing the cream in the US; whilst there's no suggestion that the same fate will befall the European version, might this mark the first part of a withdrawal from the traditional shave market?

Sharpologist

Now where in hell is the science and empirical evidence to support that hypothesis, Chris?

Bechet45 said:
Now where in hell is the science and empirical evidence to support that hypothesis, Chris?

Article is not even from Sage or ScienceDirect, shocking!

P.S. won't miss Palmolive, life's too short to shave with two dollar creams.

Seems like it i hope the euro stuff we have doesn't disappear but will say it was noted earlier in the year that gillette had decided to call time on their creams they made which is a shame as they are really great creams for the price. it just seems even though we are seeing a big revival in wet shaving the big companies continue to phase the stuff out due to it still being only a small market

Dave.B said:
Seems like it i hope the euro stuff we have doesn't disappear but will say it was noted earlier in the year that gillette had decided to call time on their creams they made which is a shame as they are really great creams for the price. it just seems even though we are seeing a big revival in wet shaving the big companies continue to phase the stuff out due to it still being only a small market

Dave - how does wet shaving equate with a small market? Surely wet shaving has a far bigger market share than electric razors?

UKRob said:
Dave.B said:

Dave - how does wet shaving equate with a small market? Surely wet shaving has a far bigger market share than electric razors?

Where did he mention small market compared to electric razors?

Gels and foams will outsell creams and soaps by about a million to one ... as a guestimate.

Hence, small market / not worth the effort / dead in the water / bones of its arse.

UKRob said:
Dave.B said:

I guess i should have been more precise and less liberal with the term wet shaving and stuck traditional before it but plenty people including me don't consider using a cart as a term used to describe wet shaving...

Bechet45 said:
chrisbell said:

Sharpologist

Ah, the secret is to know when and where to apply the scientific method - medicine is an example of where it is needed, whilst business isn't.:icon_biggrin:

Dave.B said:
UKRob said:
Dave.B said:

I guess i should have been more precise and less liberal with the term wet shaving and stuck traditional before it but plenty people including me don't consider using a cart as a term used to describe wet shaving...

I use water to rinse my cartridge razor.

That's wet to me.

chrisbell said:
Ah, the secret is to know when and where to apply the scientific method - medicine is an example of where it is needed, whilst business isn't.:icon_biggrin:

Chris, discussing a soap on a shaving forum hardly passes as medicine :)

Helveticum said:
chrisbell said:

Chris, discussing a soap on a shaving forum hardly passes as medicine :)

We weren't discussing a soap, though. We were debating conventional versus alternative medicine.

chrisbell said:
We weren't discussing a soap, though. We were debating conventional versus alternative medicine.

Debating suggests an in-depth knowledge of the topic and preparation. You were just arguing your views on the topic at best.

Helveticum said:
chrisbell said:

Debating suggests an in-depth knowledge of the topic and preparation. You were just arguing your views on the topic at best.

OK, Helv, but I just wanted to correct the misconception of what was being debated. I did provide some evidence, but there comes a point when there's no point taking a huge length of time to dig up papers etc. when most members won't understand them. The scientific method has been refined over something like 300 years; whether I explain it well or not makes no difference to its validity as the best way we have to make science work accurately.

chrisbell said:

Now that sound to me like a scientist's get-out clause for using personal opinion!

chrisbell said:
..... but there comes a point when there's no point taking a huge length of time to dig up papers etc. when most members won't understand them.

Thin ice!! We can think as we will but making a statement is not prudent sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom