Injector razor

Hi guys,
I'm thinking of getting an injector, I've decided I need another razor. What does everyone recommend for a first injector? Presumably the best place to pick one up is ebay too?

Fellonblackdays said:
Hi guys,
I'm thinking of getting an injector, I've decided I need another razor. What does everyone recommend for a first injector? Presumably the best place to pick one up is ebay too?

Other folks know them better than me, I dare say they'll be along. The L Type is a pretty mild and easy shave. Earlier models tend to be more aggressive. I've got an L1. It's a nice change of pace type of shave if you usually use a DE. If I were getting another I'd go for an M Type adjustable. More expensive than the other models though. Injectors often come up on BST, Merwtje often sells them. Maybe put a WTB up if none are listed at the mo. They're often on Ebay too.

Worth a look...

http://www.renaldo.us/SchickRazors.php

Greetings

All the Schick's shave well but the E types are IMHO fiercer but do not shave better for being so. I would recommend any model at all from the G onwards, the newer the model the less aggressive they seem to have become.

In short just avoid the E types all the others shave really well.

PAL's also shave very well they are less fierce than E types Schicks but a bit more so than G types, I personally quite like them but many folk do not, they have a different face feel to Schick's that's just impossible to put into words; not bad just different.

Regards
Dick.

Curious about injectors myself - getting on very well with the DE's I have, but now wondering how I'd get on with these SE's.

Like the OP, looking for advice... how do they shave/availability of blades/mild or agressive??

[edit]

Been looking around on eBay, but a majority I've seen seem to be from the USA (with the postal charges through the roof as a result)

I believe that one of the outspoken proponents of injectables on the site is our old friend Martin. He may want to add his extensive info here.
I use on old Schick Repeater daily to clean up around my beard and find it an excellent piece of equipment to have.

I started wet shaving full-time at the end of 2009. It was DEs all the way.

A year later I got into straights. My DE technique still had not fully developed until that time. Took me many more months to become more proficient in DE shaving.

I had got a couple of G-types from Erwin at the time but never used them. First time I tried a Schick injector was 3-4 months ago. By that time my DE shaving technique was quite good; however now I am hooked with injectors and will only change this to back to straight shaving.

Personally I find the G-types pretty good, much better than the slightly milder L-types. The adjustable M-type is not bad actually. I find I and J-types equally good (as G-types), they handle quite nice as well.

Some humble observations after my short experience with injectors:

- they do not shave equally deep as DEs do;
- they are much, much easier to shave with, especially with respect to the angle needed;
- vintage Schick (or other) blades are best and give minimum 8 shaves per blade; Personnas from Paul are ok and reasonably priced but in some they do not give the smoothest of shaves (and that includes the undersigned);
- G-types can be found NOS on the bay for as little as 10 quid incl. postage if you look patiently and carefully (two bulk buy cases in the last 8 weeks); in usually all other instances they demand unreasonably high prices, especially if you're getting one from the U.S.
- a very good source at ridiculously low prices is in flea markets and garage sales;
- I'm planning to put up a "fiver per piece" sale/PIF on selected items, including this L-type shown below. If you're interested and do not mind the postage costs from South Korea, put your name forward when the thread goes up.

IMG_2594_zpsd6ba4522.jpg

In terms of value for money & getting what you pay for I'd second the idea of posting in BST if you're after an injector. Best buys of my (shaving) life have always been from guys on here rather than the bay of evil.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Fellonblackdays said:
Hi guys,

I have a spare one. It's "shave standard" with some brassing on the head but gives a good shave. I've got too many razors so, if you want it, drop me a pm with your details and I'll bang it in the post next week.

I'm totally hooked now on Injectors. They're great. This week I've been using a Schick I2 Hydro-magic and am in awe with it. At first I thought I'd forgot to put a blade in, it was so smooth and easy. I've got the injector blades from Paul and they are fantastic. The best DE blades give me two, maybe 3 max, decent shaves before I bin them. I bladed up the Hydro-magic last Sunday, and this morning's shave was as close and smooth as I've ever had., so tomorrow will be shave 7 with this blade. As well as the I2, I've got I1, G8,E1, J1 and, on their way to me, an L1 and a K, as well as a Pal Injectomatic.
I did try a Schick last year and didn't rate it so sold it on, but looking back, I was trying to use the same angle as I would for a DE razor. These little beauties lie flat against the face and almost squeegee the lather off.

Hiya,

Been some posts with good info and I suppose there's a few things I could mention as well. Actually, there is a fair bit to injectors, not unlike DE razors. Yep, not all blades and injectors shave the same. Otherwise we'd all be using the same set up.

So if you wanna see what's up with those things you need to spend some time with em. Not to mention, it's gonna take maybe 5-6 shaves before everything comes together technique wise. They are not like using a DE for lots of reasons.

Personally, I can get a pretty damn close and comfortable shave with the right razor/blade, and a pretty crappy one with the wrong set up. Good technique won't overcome the totally wrong equipment.

Hmmm, what about a thread in the forum for injectors and (shudder) other SE types. Someplace to keep all the info in one place for easy reference. Seems like there's enough people here who could contribute something.

Oh yeah K, I meant to ask you not to post any more of those injectors pics like from last week. Yeah, the ones with that O type plus the other exotics. Well, post em but maybe warn people of the content. Whew, I hadda look at those using sideways glances and not head on.

Here's an excellent site to start the project off. Enough for me to absorb for a long time!!
http://www.safetyrazors.net/schick/schicktech.htm

Manoflamancha said:
Fellonblackdays said:
Hi guys,

I have a spare one. It's "shave standard" with some brassing on the head but gives a good shave. I've got too many razors so, if you want it, drop me a pm with your details and I'll bang it in the post next week.

Now I hate to stick my oar in or seem opportunist, but if Fellonblackdays isn't interested.....

BTW

+++shows ignorance+++ What's "shave standard"? :blush: Is this the make/model (told you I was being dim...)? What blades does it take??

In this case it means the razor is fully functioning but has a bit of plating loss. Just a way of grading the razor.
They take these blades http://connaughtshaving.com/injectorblades.html .
You can get different makes, vintage and new.
I have not used new blades so am not sure how good/bad they are.
I have a couple....a "Golden 500 (J2?) and a Schick Dial I got off Martin.
Like the people above have said they are great razors once you have got used to the different blade angle.

Oh one last thing very nice "O Type" K the 1st time I have seen one of those. Another razor to look out for............:icon_rolleyes:

+++shows ignorance+++ What's "shave standard"? :blush: Is this the make/model (told you I was being dim...)? What blades does it take??
[/quote]

Back
Top Bottom