If you were to own just one........

Ids

I'm after opinions on which silvertip I should look at buying, I currently own only boar brushes and like these, but the draw of the silvertip is great!

I'm quite sure I'll get a lot of recommends for the Fido, but I'll be honest I don't like the handle, this is just my opinion and if I got one another would soon follow defeating the point of having just one.

The Rooney 1/1 and 1/2 have caught my eye but so has the simpsons duke even though it's only in best.

Is a silvertip even a good option , I face later because washing a mug after is too much effort :lol:
Has anyone used the Rooney or have other options? If I was to buy one then price doesn't become much of an issue because I wouldn't mind waiting to save.

Re: If you where to own just one........

The general consensus, from what you have probably seen already, is that the NF brush(es) are excellent value for money and at the same time multi-purpose tool(s), i.e. face lathering but also bowl lathering is fine. The same applies for some high quality Simpsons brushes in either Best/Super - some shavers have found no real substitute for them.

If I remember correctly, Fido has also repeatedly said that the Duke (or any Simpsons brush) in Best is more than enough and that the Super (other Simpsons models included as well) is not essential for getting a tremendously different shave. Of course you get what you pay for, hence there is a reason (different tastes, preferences and expectations) for some brushes to be of even better quality and consequently more expensive.

Choosing a brush is a rather personal issue, as most are anyway. "Only Best" can indeed be more than enough. For many, a NF (for example) is an unnecessary luxury, or a step they are considering just for sampling how a great value-for-money badger brush can perform, as they may only be using boars so far (and be very happy with them).

I have not tried the Rooneys. Perhaps others can advise here.

As I see you are trying to be very careful in selecting a good badger brush, I suggest you hold on a bit longer. Sir-Ed8 (Ivan) should release his Finests and Supers soon, and you may also like to consider these as an additional option alongside with the NFs. The Simpsons models will always be there, usually anchored at retail price, and during sales periods (past summer being an example) you may be able to get few of them for a decent discount.

N_Architect said:
The general consensus, from what you have probably seen already, is that the NF brush(es) are excellent value for money and at the same time multi-purpose tool(s), i.e. face lathering but also bowl lathering is fine. The same applies for some high quality Simpsons brushes in either Best/Super - some shavers have found no real substitute for them.

If I remember correctly, Fido has also repeatedly said that the Duke (or any Simpsons brush) in Best is more than enough and that the Super (other Simpsons models included as well) is not essential for getting a tremendously different shave. Of course you get what you pay for, hence there is a reason (different tastes, preferences and expectations) for some brushes to be of even better quality and consequently more expensive.

Choosing a brush is a rather personal issue, as most are anyway. "Only Best" can indeed be more than enough. For many, a NF (for example) is an unnecessary luxury, or a step they are considering just for sampling how a great value-for-money badger brush can perform, as they may only be using boars so far (and be very happy with them).

I have not tried the Rooneys. Perhaps others can advise here.

As I see you are trying to be very careful in selecting a good badger brush, I suggest you hold on a bit longer. Sir-Ed8 (Ivan) should release his Finests and Supers soon, and you may also like to consider these as an additional option alongside with the NFs. The Simpsons models will always be there, usually anchored at retail price, and during sales periods (past summer being an example) you may be able to get few of them for a decent discount.

+1
The Duke 3 in Best has stopped my brush Acquisition Disorder in its tracks. :shave

Although if i was found to be looking at a silver tip, it would probably start with either the Kent BK8 or EJ Medium silver tip.

As a first badger I'd have a look at the Frank range, yes really.

It's true I didn't really like mine but then I have quite a few to compare it to, from what I've read there are now variations with shorter lofts that might suit you as a face latherer. For $20 or so you are not taking a huge risk.

If you are willing to spend more for better quality then I'd have a look at Penworks or getting a brush made from one of our makers.

I'd opt for a Finest knot for all the above, I wouldn't be overly concerned about whether it was silver tip or not, there are all kinds.

If you are looking for a brand then the Duke 3 (short loft) in Best as mentioned is an excellent brush and although I sold it I really did like the Rooney in my signature if you can get one.

If I were to own just one it would be my Chubby 2 2 band but then I certainly wouldn't have appreciated the differences had it been first and only badger.

Thnks for the advice, I had concidered a Frank or one of the Li-jun brushes on the bay now.
I did have a EJ medium in best as my very first brush and wasn't really overly impressed by it and it was soon replaced by a 404 bodger which I liked then moved onto the semogues which I really like.
A custom could be an option as the rooney and duke is purely based on the fact I like the handle.

I have a Duke 2 (Best) and Tulip 2 (two-band Super) which were both impulse buys.

I've had better results with much cheaper brushes.

The only reason I'm hanging on to those Simpsons now is because I won't get anything near half of what I paid for 'em.

People thinking "The best is out there somewhere" is causing people on these forums to become a bit obsessive . . . which can not be a good thing.

Horses for courses.

joe mcclaine said:
I have a Duke 2 (Best) and Tulip 2 (two-band Super) which were both impulse buys.

I've had better results with much cheaper brushes.

The only reason I'm hanging on to those Simpsons now is because I won't get anything near half of what I paid for 'em.

People thinking "The best is out there somewhere" is causing people on these forums to become a bit obsessive . . . which can not be a good thing.

Horses for courses.

Very valid point, one of our resident brush makers can produce a brush to anyone’s specific requirements, to the same quality of any branded brush and at a considerable saving. The only glitch is to be able to order or pass on to the maker your exact requirements, that will more than likely have been gleaned from trying a number of different brushes until you have found your type and style.

I never understood the enthusiasm for the Duke 2 TBH Vinny. I just thought it was too small, too soft and not dense enough so I sent mine back straight away.

As with most luxury items the further up the price scale you go the price gain differences become less and less. Getting a custom brush made is a good compromise between quality and value, they should have enough experience by now to interpret what characteristics you want.

I have a Duke 2 Best that I really wasn't a fan of when i first got it, although I find myself reaching for it more now. Maybe I've just learnt it's characteristics and how to get the best out of it. It's not a patch on the new Forest 2201 though, considering the price difference.

Ids said:
Thnks for the advice, I had concidered a Frank or one of the Li-jun brushes on the bay now.
I did have a EJ medium in best as my very first brush and wasn't really overly impressed by it and it was soon replaced by a 404 bodger which I liked then moved onto the semogues which I really like.
A custom could be an option as the rooney and duke is purely based on the fact I like the handle.

I saw these on flea bay last night whilst having a wander round, does anyone have a Li-Jun ? they do seem to be a bit more expensive than the frankie specials but is there anything different in it ?

i'm not turning into Brucie, but just like to see whats around without breaking the bank so to speak

steve :D

The Rooney Sivertip 1/1 has quite a small handle. The 1/2 is a significantly larger brush. For face lathering the Rooney size 1 (22 mm knot and 48 mm loft) is a very good choice. The most popular is the style 3 which has a handle just a little larger.

See it here:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://fidosshavingbrushblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/rooney-31-silvertip.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://fidosshavingbrushblog.blogspot.c ... ertip.html</a><!-- m -->

I still have this brush and it is a very good performer.

Then you mention the Simpson Duke. I have the Duke 3 Best. It's a superb brush. Great for any way you wish to use it.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://fidosshavingbrushblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/simpson-duke-3-best.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://fidosshavingbrushblog.blogspot.c ... -best.html</a><!-- m -->

There are many other options. But bearing in mind your preference for face lathering, you will be delighted with either of these brushes as long as you are happy to pay the price. (Shop around if you go for the Duke - you should do a lot better than the "list" price of £74)

Ids said:
I'm quite sure I'll get a lot of recommends for the Fido, but I'll be honest I don't like the handle........

+1, so have to agree on this. Having skin naturally rougher than a Badgers shaved arse (and about as attractive too), the quality of hair is less important to me than the shape of the handle, as hair is just hair. But a handle is tactile, stylish and pleasing to me as a covetous beholder, hence i have recently bought a Beaufort (B1 in pure). Simpsons, quite simply do some very nicely turned handles, apart from the Persian Jar - which i just find duller than dull :|

Ids said:
The Rooney 1/1 and 1/2 have caught my eye but so has the simpsons duke even though it's only in best.

Yep Duke 2 or 3 in Best is also on my list - I'm going for the Simpsons alphabet :?

I would still say the Colonel (X2L) is the best compromise in 2 band. If you are set on a Rooney then why not. You said you don't lekie the handle of the 2201, what does grab you, is it the Rooney style? if so then there are quite a few. At the business end the Fido is very good as are Rooneys.

The Edwin Jagger range is quite nice, one of these <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/cgi-bin/psProdSrch.cgi/@cEdwin%20Jagger%20Silver%20tip%20badger%20shaving%20brushes@b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com ... 0brushes@b</a><!-- m -->

I have the Chatsworth in faux horn and while not as stiff as my preferred range it is a great brush and I think they have their own style.

I would contact the local brush makers. They have quite alot of experience with the knots that are available to them.

I personally like the 2 band finest from TGN <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9_43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thegoldennib.com/index.php?m ... cPath=9_43</a><!-- m -->. I suggest a 22mm knot set at 45 to 50mm ( 46mm is pretty sweet ) Try both bulb & fan. Great brushes.

They also have Silver tips too. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9_42" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thegoldennib.com/index.php?m ... cPath=9_42</a><!-- m -->

The Rooney was purely based on the look of the handle and reputation.

I may be heading towards a custom, fozz your dimensions sound good and quite similar to the semogues I favour but with a slightly shorter loft.

Back
Top Bottom