I Really Hate Shaving - Please Help :(

:O Thank you, I hope I don't shave my face-off :( I'm glad to hear there are Edwin Jagger faithfuls, so thats a positive start on my part. I was getting a bit worried then thinking maybe the Murker maybe the way. Thanks for putting me straight Mr. Pig Cat!

I have a DE87 Edwin Jagger .Has the same head (muhle?) as the Chatsworth ,I believe.The DE86 DE87 etc have the same head just different handles white,black,chrome. They also sent me some samples of creams which are nice too!

Many vendors will include samples when you buy. When I bought the DE89 form The English Shaving Company (the pic I posted is also a link ;)) I received Balm and Cream samples with it.

Its a while ago since I bought my razor but I understand that sendubg samples is standard practise fron them.
You can also try <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.closeshave.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.closeshave.org.uk/</a><!-- m --> when you want to try out something. Also keep an eye out on the BST section
for PIF activity.
Starting out Palmolive cream which is available in most supermarkets/chemists is very highly thought of and cheap.

You guys are way to great, I've added so much websites into favorites as well as all the information you've passed on. I really appreciate it, I love this forum!!

I would suggest this Edwin Jagger as a first razor - it is one of the least aggressive razors and good value.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/DE86db5||@cTraditional%20safety%20&%20double%20edge%20razors@bEdwin%20Jagger|0|user||15|" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com ... |user||15|</a><!-- m -->

At this stage I wouldn't be too worried about the weight of the razor.

And in case you missed it:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2847&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2847&start=0</a><!-- l -->

I generally suggest a vintage Gillette, but you'll be well served by any of the new recommendations above, I'm sure. Reducing the number of blades in your razor really ought to help a lot! Finding a soap and a blade which you like are equally important though, the thing to do is to carry on asking questions (you might as well take advantage of the forum now you're a part of it). Finally, it's highly unlikely you'll damage yourself significantly with a DE, they are called safety razors after all.

Valentino.R said:
Over the last year maybe even two, I’ve really come to hate shaving with so much passion and this leaves me feeling deeply troubled. I remember the days when I was a boy and used to ponder about my first proper shave, my official move into manhood. But as I’ve grown older [20] I really don’t enjoy a clean shave as I used to, my skin feels so sore for a full week and after a day or two. I start getting loads of shaving spots, I’ve resulted to trimming my bread and shaping it a little, which still leaves me feeling sore mainly shaving my upper-lip when shaping my bread.

I came from the same place about 2 years ago - except I put up with 22 years of irritation, shaving spots, shaving once every-however-long-I-could-put-up-with-the-itch-of-a-beard, tried a million different combinations of razors, gels, oils, creams, foams... visits to the GP to get advice (most of which turned out to be bollocks) & medication (which all turned out to be complete bollocks)... then a chance remark on a radio programme made me curious and I started exploring this world.

The advice you've been given so far is sound - my input would be that using the Palmolive cream is probably slightly easier at the start than using the shaving stick. Buy one razor (it really doesn't matter which at this stage, because you'll buy a dozen soon enough :D), one cream or soap or stick, one brush and a sampler pack of blades. Don't be tempted at the start to chop and change between blades every day - give each type a decent run out (say 3 shaves per blade maximum, use at least two blades of each type before forming an opinion). You didn't learn to ride a bicycle on 15 different bicycles - you probably won't learn to shave using 15 different razor combinations.

As you start down the road, if something doesn't work on a particular day, change only one thing at a time to see if it gets better or worse - if you change more than one you won't know what made the difference.

hunnymonster said:
You didn't learn to ride a bicycle on 15 different bicycles - you probably won't learn to shave using 15 different razor combinations.

Totally agree. A great analogy. Once you can ride one bike confidently you can adapt your style to pretty much any other. Same with shaving and presumably most hobbies that use equipment. Just get used to shaving with a simple set-up for a few weeks. Then you can try some of the other stuff available and find what works best for you. Everyone here enjoys the different products and makes it their business to sample as much as possible. :shave

Ill just add a tip to watch , re-watch and watch again all of Mark (Mantics) shave tutor vids.. As ive told a great many people there's no shame in admitting that you don't know how to shave properly - we just haven't been taught! it used to be a father and son thing, but now sons are given an electric or a Gillette 300 blade, a can of foam and told to get on with it - its no wonder we hate shaving.

Marks videos are very very good. and cover pretty much every question you could ever ask.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59</a><!-- m -->

I came from the same place about 2 years ago - except I put up with 22 years of irritation, shaving spots, shaving once every-however-long-I-could-put-up-with-the-itch-of-a-beard, tried a million different combinations of razors, gels, oils, creams, foams... visits to the GP to get advice (most of which turned out to be bollocks) & medication (which all turned out to be complete bollocks)... then a chance remark on a radio programme made me curious and I started exploring this world.

Thats the precise area I've came from, its great to hear that just by the means of adopting a new shaving method can result in such a positive manner

Also agree on your analogy its great way of thinking, as I'm extremely into motor-bikes and looking to take my bike-test soon it will gels in well. :D

And good ole Mr. Mark (Mantics), I originally found my search leading to loads of his video links via google. Which after watching various times, I decided to opt for this way of shaving and also join this forum. I really never thought there was such an ''art'' behind shaving, really opened my eyes to a whole new world to emerge in.

Thanks Gentlemen, your information is great - I shall be keeping you posted on how I develop further and should be ordering my equipment soon!

Back
Top Bottom