I Really Hate Shaving - Please Help :(

Greetings Gentlemen,

Over the last year maybe even two, I’ve really come to hate shaving with so much passion and this leaves me feeling deeply troubled. I remember the days when I was a boy and used to ponder about my first proper shave, my official move into manhood. But as I’ve grown older [20] I really don’t enjoy a clean shave as I used to, my skin feels so sore for a full week and after a day or two. I start getting loads of shaving spots, I’ve resulted to trimming my bread and shaping it a little, which still leaves me feeling sore mainly shaving my upper-lip when shaping my bread.

My shaving equipment is:
Gillette Mach 5 Razor
Kings Sensitive Green Gel

Method:
I wash my shave with hot water to open the pores, after which I apply the shaving gel rubbing all over my bread with my hands and start to shave. I then adapt a long soft motion shaving with the gain along my face and finish with using as few stokes as possible, finally with washing my face with cold water and applying coco butter.

--------------------------
My main question is: will switching the style of blade I use help? Trying a safety blade such as the: Edwin Jagger razor, and the various equipment such as brushes soaps/latter available? Will this help reduce the soreness?

Thank You

Valentino.R

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I find using a shaving brush and soap/cream smoother and more cushioning than gel or canned shaving foam and using a single bladed razor has, for me, greatly reduced the irritation caused by shaving. The whole ritual of preparation, lathering and shaving in a traditional was taken the chore out of it making it now me time.

I used to think I had sensitive skin but now I think it was just the way I was shaving!

For help within the site I'd read these 2 threads

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1915" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1915</a><!-- l -->

and

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1359" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1359</a><!-- l -->

2 experienced members on here with slightly differing views however they share the same main opinions.

Read them, then decide whats for you :)

And say hello on the welcome board so we can all say hi.

Thanks for you fast reply, I really enjoyed ''me'' time, and I really love the way a traditional shave is respected and endlessly perfected over-time and becoming a daily or weekly routine. Its something I really hope to enjoy doing myself, but with the so many blades creams/soups out there I really end up being left with information overload feeling. I just don't have a clue which area should I start? and will it be worth it all in the end? or will I be back to square one feelings sore :(

Thank You, your all too kind! I will post in the welcome area!

Thanks, for those Links I've read them previously and I pretty much understand that side of shaving now. As for the razor, I've basically come to the stage were [you guys are going to be ashamed!] that I don't have any, so I'm taking this step to delve into the DE razor life.

Palmolive soap stick is great and costs about 50p in a Tescos. A cheap brush will allow you to give it a go and the Badger/Boar mix Vulfix 404 will give you a great start at £8.40 + P&P from Diamond edge be aware that there are several versions of the 404 boar aka bristle, badger and boar/badger mix and its the latter which is recommended.

I have and Edwin Jagger razor and its an excellent starter, but even a cheap Wilkinson Sword Classic (available from Boots) will give you a taste of what DE shaving is like.

Yeah, this info is so great and I really appreciate it - However I'd just like to ask one more question? For a beginner what would you recommend when going for a DE razor, in terms of weight? I personally think I'd prefer something a bit heavy but not too much, would this be a good idea or what would you recommend?

Me I like a razor with heft like the Merkur Futur but different people like different things and you'll have to find that one out for yourself.

Chances are if you enjoy DE shaving you'll end up with several brushes and razors and less money.

BTW one thing I didn't mention before is that a Blade sampler pack from Connaught Shaving is a great idea too

Edit: This thread has some useful info on razor stats to help you choose.

Thank you, theses links are great and all in my favorites now - I prefer the Edwin Jagger in terms of style would that be a good area to start for a beginner or a bit of the higher stuff?

Edwin Jagger imitation Ebony Chatsworth safety/double edge razor
IE_SR_C_10.jpg

I'm guessing that's a Merkur? Everyone is so Merkur faithful being German, I can't even doubt the craftsmanship of the tool, which must be immense. Have you ever used a Edwin Jagger or anything else? are there common faults with either or any negative points about them both quality of both seems unquestionable.

My knowledge so far expands to names of:

Edwin Jagger
Gillette Vintage Range
Merkur

Would you recommend any others or should I stick to picking out of the names I've listed?

Really sorry if i'm being a bit stupid and asking to many questions.

Back
Top Bottom