Howdy/Konnichiwa

I wish I could say that Japan has a plethora of great shaving gear from anywhere! I'm far from Tokyo where there might be more options, but here's the situation out here in the boonies.

Loads of cartridge and disposable razors, Gillette, Schick and several Japanese companies, all desperately adding blades and power units and lube strips. Hardly even any choices of canned goo. Gillette rules the shelves. Usually there is one lonely pack of Feather DE blades and the same 2 brands of aftershave, Auslese and Bravas. Lots of cheap shavette type blades for styling. Very hard to find Kai blades or Feather DE razors...in fact I've only seen them in a cutlery shop. Japanese men tend to have pretty sparse beards, so electrics and cartridges seem work decently for them, even considering the prices. I work in universities, and very few of my male students look like they need to shave more than a couple times a week, if that.

I get everything from the US (loaded up when I went back on vacation) or the internet.

Straights are very rare here, and I would almost bet that more Japanese razors and hones are sold in the US and Europe than in Japan. I've never heard of anyone who uses one and have never seen one for sale. Same with brushes.

So if you are coming to live, load up on the soaps creams and ASs before you before you move.

jansob said:
So if you are coming to live, load up on the soaps creams and ASs before you before you move.

Ok now you're just trying to break my balls :lol:

I've been practicing my honing on ebay razors, think I've got to the stage where I can be self sufficient with 3 straights while I'm in Japan.

Who knows, by March I may have a few more. :hungrig

The good news is that with eBay stores, it's often not incredibly expensive to order things...but you just won't find much in stores. But I have heard that ASs are sometimes not legal to mail in some countries. Those I would bring.

Another bit of good news is that you can get a straight razor shave in barber shops here easily and cheaply...although it seems you won't need outside help for that!

KONICHIWA JANSOB SAN,

OGENKE DES?
Spent a couple of years in the army on Okinawa before reversion. Would love some Kimchi. Got quite hooked on it while there
but that was over 35 years ago. Haven't had any since..... sigh. Welcome to TSR

Russ

Back
Top Bottom