How many shave do you have before you decide

In my stash (alphabetical order - so you gannets don't know how many of which I have :lol: ):

Astra Superior Platinum
Gillette Platinum
Gillette Super Thin
Red IP
Shark
UK Wilkinsons

Echo the thoughts on whether it does it or not... it needs to do it every shave, not give one less good shave every blade change... life is too short not to have a good shave from every blade (I'll accept a crappy shave if I've pushed a blade beyond it's life, not one that's crappy out the box but gets better)

Big.Dave said:
Cheers for that guys so do you have one make of blade you stick to or do you an every day blades and a must look smooth blade for special occasions? or do you have a massive pile of blades you use in rotation because you brought too many and need to use them up?

I particularly like Treet Black Beauty carbon blades but they are hard to come and I have 5 or 6 left so I'm loathed to use them and keep them for best. They tend only to last 1 shave for me as well but they give me a very comfortable close shave. I reckon I should just get on and use them then when they are gone they are gone, as I suspect that the trickiness of getting hold of them increases the amount that I like them!

Jeltz said:
I particularly like Treet Black Beauty carbon blades but they are hard to come and I have 5 or 6 left so I'm loathed to use them and keep them for best. They tend only to last 1 shave for me as well but they give me a very comfortable close shave. I reckon I should just get on and use them then when they are gone they are gone, as I suspect that the trickiness of getting hold of them increases the amount that I like them!

Go on Nic, use them now, treet yourself! :D

You've been reading the blade!!!

dcp_1298.jpg

Big.Dave said:
How many shave do you have before you decide if you like a blade or not?

I'm a one type of blade man, and I don't rotate. That type of blade being the Feather. It took me about a pack of 10, at three shaves per blade for me to like them, I didn't at first, but stuck with it, as I had bought three packs and thought I might as well give them a fair crack.

When I went back to my previous blade ((Derby) which I had used almost exclusively the whole year before) I was surprised at how blunt and generally rubbish they felt. And the few blades that I have tried since, have felt the same. So I suppose that the Feather blade has spoiled me for all others. I'm quite happy with that, as it isn't broke, I'm not going to try to fix it.

Jeltz said:
Reject list
  • Feathers
    Iridium Super
    Gillette 7 o'clock green
    Treet Platinum
    Trig
    Sputnik
    Shark[/list:u]

• Egads - rejected sputniks?

*cough*

... if you have any, er, leftover Sputniks, Sharks & Iridiums, I might be willing to let you post them off to me ... ol' buddy, ol' pal!
    • ;) [/list:u]

Feathers. My first shave with them was one of the worst possible. Face was red all day and burning well into the afternoon. Didn't use them for ages and got back to the learning board. 2nd shave with them was ace and now I'm hooked. Only blade I can use. For me, my merkur slant defintely makes them less aggressive than when compared to the merkur 38c I use to use them in. So, if there ever was a DE blade that was sharper than a feather, I would go for that. Simply because my slant takes a little bit of sharpness away from it.

hunnymonster said:
Urban Hermit said:
Egads - rejected sputniks?

I did too - they were nearly as shite as Dorco 301 for me... Luckily I only had three to start with, two of which I used in a single shave because I couldn't believe what I was feeling.

WOW. I've only used 2 or 3 so far, but they went through the stubbly stuff quite readily - like the proverbial overly-warmed-up metal blade, with a sharp edge and a handle, through bovine lactates churned solid.

I've only seen the one variety, or is there more than the teflon coated?

Jeltz said:
You've been reading the blade!!!

dcp_1298.jpg
The blade you show in the picture and what I'm going to tell you is going to make you sick.
I have a packet of them in my shave den/ shelf/1/2 a shelf / if I can get away with it space. I have not used them yet but I opened one up to have a look, black as the ace of spades with TREET your FACE written in gold heres the killer 70p a packet in Swindon and pretty much an unlimited supply. Good are they? I will give them a go. 200 that will be £14 but the guys selling them are Turks so i will have the option to haggle on a bulk buy :p

YMMV

I like them, being carbon and I believe uncoated they will corrode if left wet so I pat them and the razor dry them after a 1st shave but they will only do 2 for me.

My historical spreadsheet tell me Sputnicks were alongside Astras in the Merkur HD that I had used back when I thought I could work my way through them all and get to a single blade. Looking back on it now and revisiting some of these blades in the numerous DE's I now own I do get a different experience, perhaps my technique has improved or changed and that what I expect from a blade has changed but I find it odd that Sputnicks are being compared to Dorcos. I had them down as quite good but I am not planning going to buy anymore to see if I was right or wrong.

My point is that a bad or good experience with a blade could be a shite shave day, it didn't or did suit the razor, you made a crap or great soap mix or that you had got laid the night before and were in good mood; a whole myriad of factors affect the shave and to blame the blade when it could be the user might be a mistake. In my first run through them all I had Feathers listed as crap blades, mainly because I just could not get a shave without multiple weepers I have had to rethink that evaluation later.

What I would recommend to the guys working their way through the sampler pack is to stick the ones you think are shite in a box and just park them for now. Go back to them in a while and if they are still useless then fair enough but I have learned to eat my own spreadsheet a few times and would not jump to any conclusions. Some have indeed remained crap, yes I even retired Dorcos and Tigers, but others are not as good/bad as I had scored them.

Audiolab said:
My point is that a bad or good experience with a blade could be a shite shave day, it didn't or did suit the razor, you made a crap or great soap mix or that you had got laid the night before and were in good mood; a whole myriad of factors affect the shave and to blame the blade when it could be the user might be a mistake. In my first run through them all I had Feathers listed as crap blades, mainly because I just could not get a shave without multiple weepers I have had to rethink that evaluation later.

Thought would be a fine thing!

I almost dropped my X-Box controller when I read that! :ugeek:

Smell The Glove said:
Audiolab said:

Thought would be a fine thing!

I almost dropped my X-Box controller when I read that! :ugeek:

:lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom