How many shave do you have before you decide

hunnymonster said:
sunburyboy93 said:
Big.Dave said:
How many shave do you have before you decide if you like a blade or not?

i normally know by my first one, but always have another crack just to make sure, i have my favs chosen now
and about 30 years worth !!!

Ditto, but 40 years :D

i showed my girlfriend all my blades last week as i was so proud of the NOS Jewells, Blues & Swedes and how many i had, her reply was not what i expected, it was somewhere along the line of:: ............."wtf is all that........are you off your f*****g head ?" :shock: :eek:

i tried to tell her that "they will stop making blades and ......................." but she walked off !

A couple of shaves at least.

Some blades can feel a little rough on the first shave but get better for the 2nd shave onwards.

Iridium Supers are an example.

I tend to take it easy on the first shave with any blade (no against the grain shaving) and if it isn't working on the second shave I doesn't get a third chance.

Cheers for that guys so do you have one make of blade you stick to or do you an every day blades and a must look smooth blade for special occasions? or do you have a massive pile of blades you use in rotation because you brought too many and need to use them up?

Anything from a couple blades to a couple of packs, that is assuming it is not causing massive irritation in which case it is one shave from two blades and then if still crap they get binned or given away.

It is hard to pin down because there is no rule book, I just seem to know which ones I like (enjoy) shaving with and when I come across one of those I try to see if it was a "lucky first shave" or indeed of the blade suits me, that may take two blades or it may take a few packs. I have been given a couple of blades in the past and then went onto buy 100 because I knew I needed a couple of packs to try and then a thousand after I was definitely convinced. (red IP's).

I currently have a 65 year supply, assuming 3 shaves per blade (roughly 8000 blades) so yes I am a blade addict. I am in the process of choosing my favourites of my favourites, all of the ones I kept are good it is just some of them I like more than others or that they suit the razors I like more.

Big.Dave said:
Cheers for that guys so do you have one make of blade you stick to or do you an every day blades and a must look smooth blade for special occasions? or do you have a massive pile of blades you use in rotation because you brought too many and need to use them up?

Sort of, sometimes I break out a Feather when i want a really close shave, other times I use a Crystal or Red IP for a quick weekday shave. The rest are all just a bit of variety. With the amount of different razors multiplied by the number of different blades and soaps and the random factor of just sloppy technique it is almost impossible to test evdry combination so I like to do a lucky dip at the weekend, I pick a DE and Blade combo I haven't tired.

I did keep a speradsheet for the first two years of shaving, at that point I had only two DE's (HD and Futur) and stuck to one of the three T's creams and my single EJ brush so the permutation were a lot simpler. What I did learn was how to recognise what I liked. Looking back at that spreadsheet I have revisited some blades I thought were shit and found them to be not as bad. Similarily in the beginning I used to think Derby's were really good, now I am not so keen on them, as my technique improved I found my tastes in blades changed.

Yes I have a few favourites, half a dozen or so, these make up the bulk of my stash the rest are in qtys of 100 or less I will probably sell / swap/ PIF these.

About 2 or 3 blades worth for me. No point labouring on with a blade that's not likely to be a keeper and there are plenty I do like.

So far my Top Draw are:-
  • Gillette Super Thins
    Gillette 7 o'clock yellow
    Gillette 365's
    Red Personnas
    Wilkinson Sword (German)
    Treet Black Beauty
    [/list:u]
    My quite happy to use list
    • Crystal IP
      Astra
      Treet Durasharp (both types)
      Bic
      Laser Ultra
      Gillette Bleue Extra
      Gillette Super Silver
      Derby Extra[/list:u]

Reject list
      • Feathers
        Iridium Super
        Gillette 7 o'clock green
        Treet Platinum
        Trig
        Sputnik
        Shark[/list:u]

I try to get three shaves in before make my mind up but not always with Derby's I gave up in middle of second shave.
If the first blade does'nt do it for me , I may try a second one just in case the first was a dud.
The other factor I take into consideration is that my techniques (razor handling , lathering,soap quality etc) so I'd leave the blades to try again in a month or two (feathers)
Also I may try another the blade in another razor or two, the razor can make a huge difference e.g. my EJ DE87 seems to work well with most blades.

Back
Top Bottom