How do you cure social anxiety?

I've considered agoraphobia but I don't think that is the trigger situation. Eating out is the trigger situation. I'm quite happy to go anywhere once I know I don't have to go out for food. However whatever phobia you have, I think the physical symptoms might be the same for everybody.
I've been to the quack but they haven't been tremendously helpful. "Its very common, don't worry about it."
The advice I've received so far on this thread is not as bad as you might think. Gradually building up exposure might be the way to go.
To answer another question, empty places are much better than busy places. Also I like to sit at the end of a table. I feel trapped otherwise.
Otherwise I'm ok. A bit like Mr Bean crossed with Basil Fawlty on times but otherwise normal.
I might try lunch in the canteen instead of at my desk today. A step in the right direction.

I've looked up the wikipedia link, based on what I've read I think social anxiety can develop into agoraphobia.
On a positive note, I've been to the canteen. Beans and chips (not the best I've ever had), no problem. I'm going to try and eat there more often.

OH has some anxiety issues, part of it sounds like what you describe in relation to food. Not sure if this is likely to be any sort of help to you but alongside all the longterm work, immodium before heading out has been a successful solution when food related anxiety kicks in.

Back
Top Bottom