How do most people store their soaps? /Milling

I have bought some tubs, well screw top metal tins to put my soaps in, meaning i will probably mill them all in when they arrive.

The reason i decided to do this is that im not a fan of the wooden bowls, plus they cost alot when the soap costs very little. I'd rather have 5 or 6 soaps for the price of a coupel of soaps in the bowls, but thats just me.

It means milling MWF, Erasmic etc to fit the tubs. Do many people do this here or not? Does it degrade the soap in any way? Any tips?

I don't see how the soap can be degraded by milling/grating soaps. I have done this with Palmolive and Tabac and both were fine, though I suppose I didn't do a 'before and after' test.

Does it degrade the soap? Well it's not chemically going to change it. It will change the physical attributes though - however hard you try and pack the grated soap into a container, it won't be as closely packed as it was in the original extruded form.

Usually this will mean that for a given effort of loading your brush that you'll get slightly more soap on it because the available surface area of soap will be greater and the soap slightly less hard.

Degrade, no - different, probably.

I grated my MWF into a wooden bowl, it was ridiculously easy! I just pushed it down with my thumb as I went, and then smoothed the top off with a wet kitchen knife. No noticeable difference in the soap at all.

My wife uses this as a body cream and the tubs, with screw lids , make excellent soap containers.
The labels peel of and they stack nicely too.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.boots.com/en/Johnsons-Baby-Soothing-Naturals-Cream-250ml_41398/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.boots.com/en/Johnsons-Baby-S ... 0ml_41398/</a><!-- m -->
regards, beejay

i spy with my little eye something beginning with 'a bottle of porters lotion'

What do you think of it?

I noticed in a larger Sainsbury's they were selling 5" chromed balti/chutney dishes for about £1.50. Thought they looked good.

Boab said:
i spy with my little eye something beginning with 'a bottle of porters lotion'

What do you think of it?

Definitely an acquired 'taste' , very much a man smell, quite spicey almost medicinal and I like it a lot.
No sting at all when applied and it feels fresh. Scent regrettably doesn't last long enough.
It's cheap enough and I'll buy it again, or my daughter will :) as it's a pressie from her.
regards, beejay

I mill all mine into a souffle dish. A fork is an excellent tool for pushing the little bits into the dish.
The dish is then stored on its side causing any moisture to spill out all of the shelf and make a mess. This is due to the incompetance of the person who designed my bathroom cupboard in not making the shelves wide enough or tall enough for any kind of bathroom product.

I got this one sorted now. I found some round tubs in M&S with see through blue lids that clip on in four places. They are about the width of a cake of MWF and deep enough to fit 2 cakes of the same soap. Best bit is they cost £1 each, so i cleaned them out and bought all 8 they had.

So far they fit the bill, as they are deep enough to build lather properly, without it spilling over the sides or down the side of the cake of soap as was the case with my kent bowl.

Milled Erasmic, Salter and MWF so far. I milled some MWF in the bottom, put a fresh cake in and milled the remaining bit on top from a half used one i had, so now i have a 1 and 1/2 cake!

Really pleased, and got Cade on the way this week, to make 4 in all in tubs.

Now, i need to get Speik, Irisch Moos and Valobra sticks to mill in! The hunt never stops.....

Ids said:
I've found tubs on eBay basicly the same as what the bluebeards revenge comes in (100), would these be suitable? Or too small

Bluebeards tubs are 65mm diameter compared to a TOBS wooden bowl which is 85mm. I think that because you need to swirl a brush around to pick up the soap you need some space to do it. I would say the the BBR tubs are too small to do this easily.

Back
Top Bottom