How about a top 3 thread...

MdC (Why it is so good? I don't know. Boring ingredients, outrageous price but, well, it *works*)

Henk's original silly putty sea breeze soap. (Clay AND tallow? YES!! Best non-commercial / artisan soap EVER)

Tabac. Pound for pound the best. And I like the smell.

Hard to say 100% but my top 3 in no order

are...
Trumpers Violets
Provence Sante
Monsavon

Monsavon is flavour of the month, BUT I do like my arko and keep throwing that into the mix as a change

Hiya,

First: Surrey pre VDH reformulation older tallow version.
Second: Surrey pre VDH reformulation melt and pour version
Third: MWF/DR Harris/IK

Strange thing about the first two is there's hardly any scent to these pucks. Usta be I was a lot more concerned with how a soap smelled, but now it's more of a performance thing...........most of the time anyway.

Heh, you can see I had a hard time picking a solid #3 out of that last group.

Montague

I don't think I could decide on three :?
I like too many, too much, to make a call.
I couldn't be without my Tabac though :D
regards, beejay

In no particular order

Arko Stick: Cheap, I like the scent and it works like a dream

Speick Stick: No as cheap as Arko but it lathers and protects as good as anything I've tried and the scent is great.

Tabac: Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said

I'd also like to throw in an honourable mention for Proraso shave soap bowls. Large ones last forever and small ones are small enough to carry anywhere and are relatively cheap. Not to mention how great the lather and scent of Proraso is.

All of the above provide me with excellent shaves.

Easy for me:

1.La Toja (Im from Spain,that resumes why I choose it as the first one :lol: )

2.Martin de Candre.The makers of the soap put drug on it cuz its totally addictive.....

3.Mitchells Wool Fat.Something good that comes from UK,besides Marmite!

But I will add all the french soaps,Loccitane,Pre de Provence,Provence Sante,Monsavon,eshave,Comptoirs de Savoniers.... but Lothantique,since its lather fades out really quick,and Santa Maria La Novella (pure italian decadence...)

Yellow Jim said:
Audiolab said:
Same here, I go through phases with soaps. Right now I seem to keep using AoS Sandlewood, MdC or Pre de Provence more often than any others with the occasional lucky dip from the soap stash.

antdad said:
All French in no particular order.

I've not given the Pré de Provence a proper run out yet, only a few isolated latherings so far. Must give it an extended run for a week or two to see how it is. I wonder if it could make the top three? Just noticed they do a lavender version as well.
Thats not a soap,but shea butter,and I almost ordered it since I thought that it was a shaving soap too....

Teiste said:
Yellow Jim said:
Audiolab said:
Same here, I go through phases with soaps. Right now I seem to keep using AoS Sandlewood, MdC or Pre de Provence more often than any others with the occasional lucky dip from the soap stash.

antdad said:
All French in no particular order.

I've not given the Pré de Provence a proper run out yet, only a few isolated latherings so far. Must give it an extended run for a week or two to see how it is. I wonder if it could make the top three? Just noticed they do a lavender version as well.
Thats not a soap,but shea butter,and I almost ordered it since I thought that it was a shaving soap too....

Your right Tieste. I didn't read the listing correctly, it just looks like the shave soap. :oops:

Only have 4 soaps. For some reason I just do not get on with T&H's Luxury Soap, don't know what it is but I think I won't be buying it again, but gonna keep trying 'til the end of the cake.

The other three are all French.

Provence Santé tops my list. Quality of shave, scent and ease of use make this a must have in my hoard.
Martin de Candre and L'Occitane Cade have to fight it out for second. Really can't split these two.

Provence Sante
Valobra
Palmolive

Hard this, as I've used quite a few to date. A couple I had as samples that were excellent were Institut Karite and Gold Dachs.

Pig Cat said:
A couple I had as samples that were excellent were Institut Karite and Gold Dachs.

Two that I'd like to try at some point. I've been impressed with the French soaps so far so expect IK to be up there too. I tried to find some Gold Dachs when I was in Berlin last year but had no luck unfortunately. :(

Institut Karite is not that easy to find in the UK, I haven't been trying that hard to get some but I have not stumbled across any yet either. :(

I used some Klar Kabinet this morning (third use of it) and it is impressively easy to get the lather just how you like it. The shave was very very good, in fact up there with my top 3. I will have to shelve one and leave this in the bathroom for a while to see how it fares on regular use, very promising so far.

Seems I have about ten "Top 3" soaps.

Back
Top Bottom