Hone Type 15a

Third time around with the 15a, and I have concluded that, for me, it has a slight edge over the brass model. I am certain that this is largely due to the longer handle and greater manoeuvrability of the 15a.

With the two razors in front of me on my desk, I idly thought I'd see what the feel of the 15a head with the 15 brass handle might be, and vice versa. They are definitely not interchangeable, at least on mine. I think this is because the thread forms and/or pitches are different, as the centre post ODs measure the same. This, of course, makes perfect sense, given the radically different materials of the two razors and consequent thread efficiency and wear considerations.

As previously mentioned in the thread, the obvious comparison is between the 15a and the Standard. The first thing is that, although there is some difference between the long-handled 15a at 100mm, and the Standard at 91.5mm, the 15a looks much, much longer. This is probably because of the way the handle "merges" into the head profile, rather than meeting it, as with the Standard.

Both razors conceal the blade tabs within the head, which I like very much, and the high quality of the fit and finish is about even.

In use, I would rate the Standard as being slightly more aggressive. That's very subjective, as I've used a lot of different blades in that razor over some time, but only a Feather in the 15a over 3 days. The other thing which is noticeable is that the Standard is a noisier razor than the 15a; probably because the head isn't quite as hefty.

I've been having a bit of an SE jamboree recently, but my intention is to make a side-by-side comparison in use of the two razors (same blade, soap etc.), which should give me a better idea of how they stack up.

@Ferrum

Really appreciate you taking the time to evaluate and give your thoughts. I wonder if I could be cheeky and ask if there is any chance you could take a photo of both models side by side please?:) Maybe even the standard next to them too?

I don't ask for much do I?:rolleyes: No worries if not.

Apologies for being a pain.
Cheers

Rob

716991564ca3aaad2166840538c11776.jpg

81b7db3de6ba169534ee93e7b55543e9.jpg

964c95887a97d733b69c1e7be4c619b0.jpg

A great job @Hone.

A quality packaging up to the razor. This is the model of 80 mm, it is slightly longer than the original Hone Type 15.

The first shave has been good. With this razor I get a better shave and it still very soft.

@Inhaki Thank you for sharing :) Lovely pictures. What was your opinion of the packaging and the purchase experience overall? This is an area that I feel I can improve on and any feedback is gratefully accepted :)

Andrew.

The shopping experience is good. Your website is easy to navigate. I had a problem from the mobile phone, I added the razor to cart but I could not see the cart to complete the purchase.

The packaging is elegant and of good quality but the shipping envelope is little protective and the box has come up with some blow. I would improve the packaging for shipment.

Well, I've waited a while but this morning saw my first shave with the Hone 15a in Black. Expectations were high based on earlier reviews and the understated but high quality packaging.
Very happy to say that expectations were more than met. Two passes over a two day growth and I was virtually BBS. A very promising start to what I hope will be a long and fruitful relationship.

Well, I've waited a while but this morning saw my first shave with the Hone 15a in Black. Expectations were high based on earlier reviews and the understated but high quality packaging.
Very happy to say that expectations were more than met. Two passes over a two day growth and I was virtually BBS. A very promising start to what I hope will be a long and fruitful relationship.
Shave # 2 and a similarly excellent experience. Is this the one? After two passes I am as a good as BBS. It's outstanding, long may it continue

Back
Top Bottom