Home Made Bay Rum....

Ok, so I got a report back from the forrest: sage, thyme, laurel/bay, lavender, rosemary, eucalyptus, and mint are all available!
The only one my dads wife didn't find was Witch Hazel, shame.. :(

So next time I go over there I'll fill some small bags..

FB.

I made my own herby rum AS its reasonably easy and not bad.

My recipe was

freshly picked leaves
Bay laurel
Rosemary
Lemon Balm
Spearmint crushed added to :-

2/3 Dark rum + a bit of Vodka to up the alcohol.
1/3 Witch hazel
Some drops or glycerine
and left to stand for a couple of weeks.

It works but the smell doesn't last

I did it up this morning as written; great find. Placed it In the corner of a guest bedroom closet ... nobody, not even cats, go there. I will open, drain, remove solids and try it out on 18 October as the instructions so dictate. Kind of fun to look at your wife and say "I've got to run to the base to pick-up some dark rum for a science project." And she doesn't blink an eye .... a few blinking words about my new shaving passion .... but no blink. Are there anymore recipes like these or another flavor out there? I thought about putting some lavender in, from the garden but didn't and stuck to the recipe. I'll do another batch with some of our garden flowers to use the rum up; experiment. More clove? Could you use a spice rum to get the West Indian effect? Back to cleaning the new Red Tip -- opps, different forum

Attachments

• 18 Sep morning and Bay Rum 040.JPG
    360 bytes · Views: 100
i also did the same a couple of days ago......i also added a few drops of Bay Rum Oil (mixed & created by nanny sharon :D ), smells good now ! will leave for the month in cupboard under the stairs and report results in a month ;)

Perhaps we should be apprehensive not so much about the "explosive" knowledge contained amongst us as at the amount of interest we may be attracting at GCHQ by the insertion of trigger words.

Honest guys, we're just a shaving forum.

The ever innocent JohnnyO. :?

Hi guys,

I am really pleased that one or two of you have decided to make this Bay Rum aftershave/cologne. I have made this many times and the results are consistently excellent. One or two of you have asked about adding and subtracting other ingredients, no problem, experiement with this by all means, here are a few variations on a theme so to speak.

Instead of one whole orange peel, try orange & lemon, orange, lemon & lime, lemon & lime. The trick here is to use the same amount of peel, so if you're using say orange and lemon, then only half of each, if you use too much peel the end result will be too citrussy, and you're then starting to move away from Bay Rum itself, which was the original idea.

Also this works very well, add I whole vanilla pod, slit lengthways with a sharp knife before inserting into the jar. The result is still Bay Rum, but you do get a trace of vanilla as a top note which is very pleasant. Another idea is to add 5ml of cosmetic grade coconut oil at the ingredients stage, coconut and rum is a great combination.

Like I say, experiment and find a recipe that works for you.

To make a Bay Rum aftershave balm, as well, split the final liquid into two bottles. Into one add 3 capsules of vitamin E (liquid), 5ml of vegitable glycerine, and top up with 45ml of aloe vera gel. Shake well, and you will have a beautiful and soothing Bay Rum aftershave balm which perfectly compliments the splash.

Have fun and let me know how you get on,

Martin.

Sorry, same question as before . . . doesn't the caramel (used to colour dark rum) end up making a sticky mess?

Hi,

No, for some reason (I think the acidity in the orange peel kills the stickness) the result is not sticky at all.

Food grade coconut oil is solid, cosmetic grade coconut oil is liquid, it is the stuff they put into body butter and women's shampoo for that coconut smell, no reason why we can't use it in our Bay Rum aftershave!

Wait - are you talking about Coconut Fragrance/Essential Oil as opposed to the crude coconut oil itself (which I see widely sold as "76 degree Coconut Oil" because it melts at 76F/24C)...

Not that I have any expertise in the area, just an unhealthy fascination with the physical properties of stuff :D

Yes I am talking about coconut fragrance oil, but it must be cosmetic grade, as many fragrance oils are not suitable to be rubbed onto skin. Most fragrance oils are for refreshing pot pouri, oil burners and the like. You have to be careful and make sure you get cosmetic grade only which you can safely rub onto skin after it has been diluted.

Martin.

Hi Prof,
Can you just clarify a bit; as there may be some confusion caused by the opening post from A YANK IN BRITAIN. His opening post in another thread said that you told him you only use 'natural oils' for fragrance. I would interpret that to mean essential oils. However, as you will know, most fragrance oils would not be described as natural. There is no such thing as coconut essential oil i.e. derived from coconuts, that I know of. There is fractionated coconut oil, which is liquid at room temp. but will not impart a scent of coconut, any more than the ordinary coconut oil which is solid at room temp. does.
And there are legal limits on the amounts of both fragrance and essential oils that can be added to cosmetics. Whilst I understand that these requirements don't apply to someone making something at home for their own use, is it not a tad reckless to invite people to add these willy nilly to their preparations? Especially as they can be bought readily on the internet without clear and often any guidelines on what is deemed to be safe. Ditto, my understanding is that vitamin e/tocopherol, should be kept within safe limits.
And we don't know the size of the jam jar.
I would be interested to hear your comments.

Hi,

I am not suggesting anybody adds anything willy nilly to anything.

I recommended 5ml which is a teaspoon to 100ml which is 5% and the normal rate. Actually you can go up to 10% with cosmetic grade coconut oil, but the scent then becomes overpowering in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom