Home Made Bay Rum....

While searching for something for another thread, i came across, i guess it will be pretty cheap to try, what do we think ?

"Add to a screw top jam jar as many bay leaves as the jar will hold, crack each leaf with your fingers before adding it. Peel one small orange, tear the peel into small squares and add the peel to the jar, eat the orange!
Add 5 whole cloves, and one stick of cinnamon. Break the stick of cinnamon in half if it won't fit in the jar.
Pour into the jar a dark rum, use a cheap rum, an expensive one will not make the finished product any better, just make sure you use a DARK rum. Fill to the top.
Screw the lid on the jar and leave UNDISTURBED in a dark place for one month. DO NOT SHAKE THE JAR OR KEEP CHECKING IT, JUST LEAVE IT ALONE.
After one month, empty the contents into a strainer and throw all the solids away, put the liquid into any empty aftershave or cologne bottle and use whenever you wish.

You can use either. The more common bay leaves which you find in supermarkets work fine in this recipe, the laurel leaves are more difficult to source, are gernerally more expensive and do not improve the finished product to any marked degree."

Steve, if you want laurel bay leaves, I can pull them out of the garden, not that hard to source here ;)

I might try and make something with lavender and bay, have to check with my dad who lives in a forrest about witch hazel.

I can source rosemary, sage and eucalyptus quite easily..

I'd be a fun project!

FB.

FrenchBlade said:
Steve, if you want laurel bay leaves, I can pull them out of the garden, not that hard to source here ;)

I might try and make something with lavender and bay, have to check with my dad who lives in a forrest about witch hazel.

I can source rosemary, sage and eucalyptus quite easily..

I'd be a fun project!

FB.

Max, you could be supplying us with all the "Herb" we need, you could be our dealer !!!

Christ too many packages of green stuff from france, hope Customs dont start checking :lol: :lol:

sunburyboy93 said:
Max, you could be supplying us with all the "Herb" we need, you could be our dealer !!!
Christ too many packages of green stuff from france, hope Customs dont start checking :lol: :lol:
You should have seen the package Sir_Prize sent me the other day, a white squished lump of semtex/coco paste, wrapped in tinfoil, with no note.. it looked v. dodgy indeed! :D (but well pleased with it!

I have to check on the eucalyptus, I'm doubting that one after I posted it, but all the others I can pull out of my dads forrest.
(just send his wife a mail to find out about witch hazel, he can't tell the difference between a tulip and a rose)

FB.

FrenchBlade said:
You should have seen the package Sir_Prize sent me the other day, a white squished lump of semtex/coco paste, wrapped in tinfoil, with no note.. it looked v. dodgy indeed! :D (but well pleased with it!
Calm yourself, dear boy - no need to summon the Pompiers.
Semtex smells of marzipan and gives off an oily residue - the substance I sent you is perfectly stable and eminently suitable for shaving.

SirPrize said:
FrenchBlade said:
Calm yourself, dear boy - no need to summon the Pompiers.
Semtex smells of marzipan and gives off an oily residue - the substance I sent you is perfectly stable and eminently suitable for shaving.

It's also bright yellow!

Note that the 'bay' in bay rum is not a 'true' bay (Laurus nobilis) nor even a 'fake' laurel (cherry laurel) at all. It is a west Indian (can I still say that?) Pimenta species, a close relative of the allspice plant (Pimenta dioica), with a similar fragrance. If you're mixing cloves and cinnamon in, you're basically substituting the fragrances that west indies bay supplies, so you could probably leave out the laurel leaves altogether. Or use allspice...

Back
Top Bottom