Home Made Bay Rum....

Kevin said:
Professor Blighty this sounds like a great idea for Christmas presents! If would post a recipe with quantities I love to give it a go.

Kevin

"Add to a screw top jam jar as many bay leaves as the jar will hold, crack each leaf with your fingers before adding it. Peel one small orange, tear the peel into small squares and add the peel to the jar, eat the orange!
Add 5 whole cloves, and one stick of cinnamon. Break the stick of cinnamon in half if it won't fit in the jar.
Pour into the jar a dark rum, use a cheap rum, an expensive one will not make the finished product any better, just make sure you use a DARK rum. Fill to the top.
Screw the lid on the jar and leave UNDISTURBED in a dark place for one month. DO NOT SHAKE THE JAR OR KEEP CHECKING IT, JUST LEAVE IT ALONE.
After one month, empty the contents into a strainer and throw all the solids away, put the liquid into any empty aftershave or cologne bottle and use whenever you wish.

You can use either. The more common bay leaves which you find in supermarkets work fine in this recipe, the laurel leaves are more difficult to source, are gernerally more expensive and do not improve the finished product to any marked degree."

There isn't a precise measurement, but a couple of us have made it in a jar from the Above details, sounds good, hoping it will smell good in a few weeks.... :D

Sunburyboy is quite right when he says this isn't a precise measurement. The average jam jar will hold roughly 100ml of finished liquid when you stuff in all the leaves and other ingredients. A bit more or less isn't going to hurt this recipe one way or the other.

It's a nice idea to give as Christmas presents as you say, if you have a decent photoshop or adobe program you could personalise a label too, so if for instance it wa a present for your Uncle Pete, the label could read:

Uncle Pete's Christmas Bay Rum

or something like that, you get the picture.

Professor Blighty said:
Sunburyboy is quite right when he says this isn't a precise measurement. The average jam jar will hold roughly 100ml of finished liquid when you stuff in all the leaves and other ingredients. A bit more or less isn't going to hurt this recipe one way or the other.

It's a nice idea to give as Christmas presents as you say, if you have a decent photoshop or adobe program you could personalise a label too, so if for instance it wa a present for your Uncle Pete, the label could read:

That is exaclty what i am planning, i have got three large glass jars off the bay that are suitable and also some Bay, Clove, Orange, Mandarin essential Oils to play with and add to the mix.....

Will make up some labels and get some nice bottles to put it in, and all the chaps in the family will be "Bay Rum'd" up for christmas day !
:D :D :D

Professor Blighty said:

Very good idea, if I was SBs uncle or nephew I'd holdout for a gold toggle though he's bound to turn one up soon.

Professor Blighty have you any tips about where to buy the ingredients for the balm (capsules of vitamin E, etc)

If my Bay Rum smells like pish can always drink it.

Kevin

You can get Aloe Vera Gel and Vitamin E capsules from any good chemist or health food shop. Make sure you use the Aloe Vera Gel and not the Aloe Vera Juice, the gel will make the balm thick, whereas the juice is as thin as the aftershave. Get the vitamin E tablets with the gel inside and just break them open and pour the contents into the balm bottle. If you can't find them, don't worry, just leave them out, they're not 100% necessary anyway, vitamin E is just good for the skin, that's all.

Hi Kevin,
You should be able to get vit E capsules in any health food store, and probably in some supermarkets along with the vitamins.
I don't know much about fragrance oils, as I only use essential oils. But in my experience Soap kitchen are generally reputable and you can phone them for any information, and they are generally very helpful. You can find their Coconut FO here <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.soapkitchenonline.co.uk/acatalog/A_to_F.html;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.soapkitchenonline.co.uk/aca ... to_F.html;</a><!-- m --> I'm not sure if it comes with guidance on maximum usage (for a leave on product such as this is), but I'm sure they can tell you if not. Or email them in advance. Personally, in terms of strength of scent, if it is as strong as many essential oils, then I would have thought about 2% would be more than enough, possibly 1% as the coconut in this is not supposed to be the main scent.
Hope that helps.

Ooops, I didn't see that Prof. had already replied.

Back
Top Bottom