Home Made Bay Rum (Stage 2)

Re: Home Made Bay Rum (New information for Stage 2)

The Art of Manliness site has an article up on "How to smell like a barbershop" (12 Oct 2010). Go visit and read the article but here is what I gleaned from it. Recipes for Bay Rum. I'm out the door soon for work but wanted to post this. Have a good day gentlemen. R/Robert

Bay Rum Aftershave
•4 Ounces Vodka
•2 Tablespoons Jamaican Rum
•2 Dried Bay Leaves (Don’t use the bay leaf they sell at the grocery store. While it’s good for soups, it’s not good for bay rum. Make sure to use Pimenta racemosa, sometimes available at natural food stores)
•1/4 Teaspoon Allspice
•1 Stick of Cinnamon, broken in pieces
•Fresh Zest from a Small Orange
Combine all ingredients in a container such as a bottle or mason jar with a tightly fitting lid. Put the closed container in a dark, cool place (not in the refrigerator) for two weeks. This allows the alcohol to extract the essential oils from the bay leaves. After two weeks, strain the mixture through several layers of coffee filters. If necessary, repeat until no residue remains. Put in a nice bottle and splash on face after shaving.

Bay Rum No. 3 Recipe from Mack’s Barbers Guide
I found this recipe in an old barber’s manual from 1866. This recipe calls for a bay laurel oil. The bay laurel is different from the pimenta racemosa leaf that is traditionally used in bay rum, so this recipe will smell a bit different, but it still smells good. You can buy a bottle of bay laurel oil online or at a aromatherapy store in your area for $20-$30. While a bit pricey, you don’t have to use too much, and it makes several batches.

•2 Drams of Oil of Bay Laurel (a dram is 1/16 of an ounce)
•4 ounces of Jamaica Rum
•24 ounces of alcohol
•36 ounces of water
•1 ounce of pulverized magnesia
Combine all the ingredients above and strain through several layers of coffee filters or cheesecloth. Store in a bottle. You’ll notice that this recipe doesn’t call for letting the mixture sit for two weeks before using. Since we’re using oil of bay laurel and not the leaves, you don’t have to wait for the oils to be extracted from the bay leaf. You can use this concoction immediately after you make it. Instant gratification!

You can customize your bay rum aftershave to your liking by adding different spices and scents. Some suggested scents to add are juniper, lavender, rosemary, allspice, and cinnamon. Have fun!

Read more: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://artofmanliness.com/2010/01/21/diy-bay-rum-aftershave/?utm_source=Daily+Subscribers&utm_campaign=6fbdfe226c-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email#ixzz12FN6HEz1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://artofmanliness.com/2010/01/21/di ... z12FN6HEz1</a><!-- m -->

Home Made Bay Rum

Well i got me some nice glass bottles courtesy of Martin (The Prof) and made me some shiny sticky labels and have now bottled my first batch Bay Rum !, smells very nice, have used it a few times as well and gave some to my dad to try, doesnt give a huge sting when applied, smells nice and spicy but scent doesn't last for ages so doesnt interfere with Cologne :D

This was only a Small Jars worth, (4 bottles full) i have a big load brewing in the cupboard, that should give me about 20 Bottles !!!

Gonna be giving some bottles away at Xmas as stocking Fillers to Dad, Uncles etc.... ;) :D

Looks ok in the bottles with the labels.....what do you guys think ?

(if anybody wants to risk trying a bit, i can send out some 10ml samples)

1-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

Impressive! I would ask for a sample, but the post office'll be setting up a monorail link between your and my house if I did.

Enjoy it in good health, though!

Lipsy

Looks very nice Steve and very professionally packaged too.
Well done that man, come Christmas day though all the men in your family will smell the same :) .
Regards, beejay

beejay said:
Looks very nice Steve and very professionally packaged too.
Well done that man, come Christmas day though all the men in your family will smell the same :) .
Regards, beejay

i have to convince them it's aftershave and not marinade for the chrismas ham joint !!!

Back
Top Bottom